Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #16
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: If there was a Mount Rushmore of sports...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
no one here gives a sh-it about Beckham except for mabye some girls in Jr. High

we know how much he is getting paid and who he plays for but I seriouosly doubt anyone is following those games or know any of his stats here...

we care about the NFL....Beckham wouldn't make it over Ryan Leaf in this country

Hmm..

Quote:
Prior to Beckham's debut, his Galaxy jersey sales had already reached a record figure of over 250,000.

Quote:
On 21 July, David Beckham made his long-awaited debut before a record crowd of nearly 30,000 at the Home Depot Center, coming on in the 78th minute in a 1-0 loss to Chelsea F.C. in a match during the World Series of Football tournament. The match saw unprecendented TV coverage from ESPN, who used 19 cameras to cover the it, including one trained only on Beckham, even when he was on the bench, and several used for interviewing and showing some of the many celebrities and dignitaries on hand, including California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The match set an all-time record high for TV ratings for MLS on ESPN, and was the most-watched program on all of TV that night among young adult males in the U.S.

Yeah. Nobody cares about him. That's why EVERYONE is interested in seeing him play right?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #17
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
LMAO...40% are women...REALLY....wow that is embarassing

Maybe, just maybe, that has to do with the fact a lot of people don't want to waste 80 bucks on his jersey and only the new fans buy the jerseys?

Quote:
and how many jerseys sold....like 12?

Don't make me embarrass you kid. Over a quarter-mil have been sold.
Quote:
he is due to make $250 mill over 5 years

So, your saying he makes 50 mil a year to play? WRONG Idiot. He actually makes 6.5 mil this year to play, most of his contract is ADIDAS.

Link for you retard

Next time, you try to open your big mouth, make sure you know what your talking about. I'm not even going to bring in Pele's impact from the days of the NASL.

And another food for thought, Thursday was only about the 7th time RFK stadium had over 460,000 people in attendance, why? You guessed it, because of Beckham.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #18
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Yeah. Nobody cares about him. That's why EVERYONE is interested in seeing him play right?
most watched show amongst young adult males that night?

how did they get that stat....and what qualifies as being young?

link?

and without researching on the internet I would bet money that you couldn't name 5 teams in the league...

he just got signed....he is getting a little bit of fame here...but it will be over soon enough

you know that he isn't even close to being the best soccer player out there right?....he is famous because women find him good looking and he married a spice girl
Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #19
-primetime-

David Beckham Gets 250 Million Dollars To Play In Los Angeles
Sports – The signing of David Beckham to the Los Angeles Galaxy in an estimated 250-million-dollar deal could be a vital move to turn the US into a "soccer nation," the country's football enthusiasts said Thursday. Are we going to have to call it football or can we still call it soccer?

http://sports.netscape.com/story/200...n-los-angeles/

huh?

Former England soccer captain David Beckham has inked an extraordinary big bucks move from Spanish giant Real Madrid to America’s Major League Soccer side Los Angeles Galaxy. The transfer will pull in a lucrative $250 million over the next five years and propel him into being one of sport’s highest earners, although he’ll still be $40 million a year poorer than golf’s Tiger Woods. On top of his salary, Beckham should be able to net $25 million a year through sponsorship deals; $10 million in merchandising tie-ups, including shirt sales; and, finally, he is poised to sign a unique profit-sharing deal with LA Galaxy to the tune of a further $10 million. On top of that, there’s the lure of Hollywood cashing in on the player’s dashing looks and global celebrity. He also gets to do what he loves – play football every day and score goals.

http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/0...2-beckham.html
Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #20
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
The sellout crowd of 46,686 cheered when Beckham stripped off his warmup jacket and T-shirt, displaying his bare chest in a steady rain as he prepared to enter the game in the second half. The three-time World Cup veteran, his hair closely cropped and stubble on his face, then put on his No. 23 jersey and replaced Quavas Kirk in the 72nd minute.

Quote:
The crowd roared with approval when Beckham got off the bench and began warming up in the 36th minute. He skipped, stretched and ran light sprints along the sideline for the rest of the first half, even as a brief, light rain began to fall. The rain returned and became heavy in the second half, but that didn't deter Beckham from continuing his warmups as the game progressed.

The crowd was the fourth largest to watch an MLS game at RFK, and more than twice United's previous largest home draw this year.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=215310&cc=5901

Yup, no body cares about Beckham.

And you want 5 teams from the league? Sure, I'll name them 13.

LA Galaxy
Chivas USA
Houston Dynamo
FC Dallas
Real Salt Lake
Colorado Rapids
FC Toronto
RedBull New York
Chicago Fire
New England Revolution
Kansas City Wizards
Columbus Crew
DC United
Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
David Beckham Gets 250 Million Dollars To Play In Los Angeles
Sports The signing of David Beckham to the Los Angeles Galaxy in an estimated 250-million-dollar deal could be a vital move to turn the US into a "soccer nation," the country's football enthusiasts said Thursday. Are we going to have to call it football or can we still call it soccer?

http://sports.netscape.com/story/200...n-los-angeles/

huh?

Wow, how stupid can one be? Didn't say I most of that money is from ADIDAS and sponsorship + profit basically? Look at the link I posted kid. Galaxy/MLS is only paying him about 50-70 mil depending on incentives over 5 years.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #22
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
most watched show amongst young adult males that night?

Yeah, so? It's a statistic. It doesn't have to make sense, it just shows that you're wrong. He is well known, and people ARE interested in seeing him play.

Quote:
how did they get that stat....and what qualifies as being young?

link?

Wikipedia is your friend.

Quote:
and without researching on the internet I would bet money that you couldn't name 5 teams in the league...

You're right. I couldn't. But do you know why I couldn't? Well, 1. I'm in Australia, and we as Australians, don't give a **** about Beckham or soccer for that matter, but Soccer has become increasingly popular as of late here.

Quote:
he just got signed....he is getting a little bit of fame here...but it will be over soon enough

He just attracted the most viewers to watch his first game for the LA Galaxy team in the HISTORY of television. He had 19 cameras covering him, and one SOLEY on him whilst he was ON THE BENCH. ****, if anyone else got this much media coverage, it would be getting talked about.

Quote:
you know that he isn't even close to being the best soccer player out there right?....he is famous because women find him good looking and he married a spice girl

And because he attracts viewers and makes anything he does successful.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #23
-primetime-

I bet Ryan Leaf sold over 250k jerseys his rookie year....99% male
Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #24
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
I bet Ryan Leaf sold over 250k jerseys his rookie year....99% male

Thanks, you just showed you don't know jack shit about the situation so you try to change the topic at hand. By the way, your comparing an entire rookie year, to a few months of Beckha-Mania.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 AM   #25
-primetime-

bottom line:

Beckham is not one of the top 4 athletes in the History of this country

you comparing him with the likes of Woods, Jordan, and Ruth is ridiculous

I don't give a sh-it how many jerseys he sold
Old 08-11-2007, 04:51 AM   #26
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
bottom line:

More like: Bottom Line = you have no counter to anything me, or AtTheDriveIn have posted, so you fully ignore it, so you can feed your ego. I'm not even saying I'd put Becks in, just said he should be considered, and Pele should be the one in.

If you don't care about the amount of jerseys, why try to bring in Ryan Leaf into it with his "jersey sales", and isn't it sadder, with you saying he sold over 1/4 million jerseys in his rookie year, when you say NFL is the #1 sport and Soccer is crap, yet, Becks sold more in just a few months?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #27
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
More like: Bottom Line = you have no counter to anything me, or AtTheDriveIn have posted, so you fully ignore it, so you can feed your ego. I'm not even saying I'd put Becks in, just said he should be considered, and Pele should be the one in.

If you don't care about the amount of jerseys, why try to bring in Ryan Leaf into it with his "jersey sales", and isn't it sadder, with you saying he sold over 1/4 million jerseys in his rookie year, when you say NFL is the #1 sport and Soccer is crap, yet, Becks sold more in just a few months?
Ryan Leaf SUCKS...that is why I compared him to your great Beckham

some crappy QB can sell more than him...

I can counter anything you have said...I just don't care to

he is getting most of his money from Addias?...WHO GIVES A ****...all you asked me is "how much is he getting paid"....what does his salary have to do with anything?

He should not be considered here...he wouldn't even make it in this countries "top 100 athletes of all time" list

why are you so big on him anyway?....he is past his prime and not even that great to begin with...

fuck beckham....seriously....just a pretty boy
Old 08-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #28
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Ryan Leaf SUCKS...that is why I compared him to your great Beckham

some crappy QB can sell more than him...

Calm down kid. Bottom line still is, you compared the "#1" sport's jersey sales of a #2 overall selection over a year to a "crap" sports jersey sales in about 3 months!
Quote:
I can counter anything you have said...I just don't care to

Highly doubt it

Quote:
he is getting most of his money from Addias?...WHO GIVES A ****...all you asked me is "how much is he getting paid"....what does his salary have to do with anything?

Link to my post

Read the 2nd paragraph, I said getting paid to play, not how much he's getting paid total, and guess what, his salary = how much he's getting paid to play.
Quote:
He should not be considered here...he wouldn't even make it in this countries "top 100 athletes of all time" list

Maybe, just maybe, him barely starting to play in the US has something to do with it? And maybe, just maybe, there are closed minded fools like you who do some of the lists?
Quote:
why are you so big on him anyway?....he is past his prime and not even that great to begin with...

Maybe because he isn't fully past his prime? Is just going on the decline, but can still kick a very mean free kick, has world experience, still is a world class player, and can really help out on and off the field?

Quote:
fuck beckham....seriously....just a pretty boy

Just for kicks:
fuck TO, he's just an attention whore, and emo, as he attempted suicide.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #29
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
bottom line:

I agree with yoyu that he shouldn't be on this mount rushmore, but it's only because there are far greater football players in history, and, surprise surprise, they aren't American!

I don't particularly like something that is 'America only' (look at all the record books! They all have a section says 'US records' when nobody gives a crap about them and the books will probably be sold outside of US anyway). If I could have a Mount Rushmore of sports of the whole world:

Tiger Woods
Pele (voted greatest footballer of all time)
Michael Jordan
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #30
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Calm down kid. Bottom line still is, you compared the "#1" sport's jersey sales of a #2 overall selection over a year to a "crap" sports jersey sales in about 3 months!

Highly doubt it

Link to my post

Read the 2nd paragraph, I said getting paid to play, not how much he's getting paid total, and guess what, his salary = how much he's getting paid to play.

Maybe, just maybe, him barely starting to play in the US has something to do with it? And maybe, just maybe, there are closed minded fools like you who do some of the lists?

Maybe because he isn't fully past his prime? Is just going on the decline, but can still kick a very mean free kick, has world experience, still is a world class player, and can really help out on and off the field?

Just for kicks:
fuck TO, he's just an attention whore, and emo, as he attempted suicide.
obviously there is no arguing with you....

fuck it....

lets carve a mountain in the US of David Fucking Beckham right next to the heads of Ruth and Jordan

he sold a bunch of jerseys and has played a couple games here....he is obviously one of the GREATEST
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: