Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #31
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who is NBA's Biggest Bust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
GOds man, do you not read at all?! I said a Magic Fan 'COULD' and "CAN" make the argument. Refer to my earlier post- I'll be happy to tutor you.

Even Magic fans are not gonna say that Hill is a bust, nor the biggest bust.

Wasn't even a bad signing. Jeezus you can't predict injuries.

Grant Hill was an All-star prior to his injuries.

It is pretty crazy to put an All-Star down as a bust or as you labelled it "biggest bust".
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #32
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
GOds man, do you not read at all?! I said a Magic Fan 'COULD' and "CAN" make the argument. Refer to my earlier post- I'll be happy to tutor you.

Wow you are even more dense than I thought. Only the most idiotic and clueless fans would use the decisions of their front office to somehow diminish the ACTUAL accomplishments of Grant Hill and call him the "NBA's BIGGEST BUST." Stop living in the world of hypotheticals, because nobody is dense enough to actually believe that Grant's situation in Orlando would make him a bust. And another thing, you type all this bullsh&t about Orlando fans "could make a case that he's a bust," yet in your own f&cking thread you put him on the list of BIGGEST bust in the history of the NBA. Idiotic.

Then again, you are really showing your inability to understand what you yourself are posting. There is NO way, in any way shape or form, that Grant Hill can be considered the "NBA'S BIGGEST BUST" (which happens to be your OWN thread title). And you keep on living in daydreamland, where your confusion over actual career accomplishments, the definition of "BIGGEST BUST", and front office decisions leads you to put Grant Hill on your f&cking list. Hilarious.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #33
mkvli
I brick open layups

mkvli has an OK reputation so far

I don't know about the NBA's biggest BUST. I would say Andrew Bogut is kind of a disappointment for a number one pick. Sure he's putting up decent numbers, but for a #1 pick, he's gotta be something of a force. Def not a franchise player.

Emeka isn't getting it done, mainly because of injury, but regardless he's no where close to Dwight in terms of the hype that was built around the two when the draft was taking place. Doesn't seem like a franchise player. YES, he's a defensive presence, but in terms of a killer instinct, health issues, marketing, an offsenive game, he's got nothing IMO.

Darko, for a number two pick, isn't delivering. Third team this year, let's see if he does anything worthwhile. DEF not a franchise player.
mkvli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #34
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
Who is NBA's biggest bust?

SOme people who come to mind:

Penny Hardaway (Jordan said he would carry on his torch in an interview-right after that, Penny started sucking bad!)

Grant Hill (Biggest bust or worst free agent signing in history- or BOTH??)

Kwame Brown
(1st overall!)

Michael Olawakandi (another 1st overall!)

Sam Bowie (everyone knows this story)

Len Bias (No 2 pick...this was probably more tragic than 'bust' though)

your the biggest dumbazz on this thread...how does that sound...
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #35
JoHnShOeZ1492
LeBron for 12 MVP

JoHnShOeZ1492 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
So the f&ck what? Many players were touted as the "next Jordan", and it's not their fault, because its the f&cking media that does it.

Look up Grant Hill's stats and accomplishments...some people even think he should be in the Hall of Fame for Christ's sake.

How the f&ck is that a bust

Agreed Over Here
JoHnShOeZ1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #36
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Just because Grant Hill was injured when he came to Orlando doesn't make him a bust. Grant Hill got injured that isn't his fault. When he did play he was fine on the court. So how is he a bust?
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #37
Nym
I airball my layups

Nym has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
Wow you are even more dense than I thought. Only the most idiotic and clueless fans would use the decisions of their front office to somehow diminish the ACTUAL accomplishments of Grant Hill and call him the "NBA's BIGGEST BUST." Stop living in the world of hypotheticals, because nobody is dense enough to actually believe that Grant's situation in Orlando would make him a bust. And another thing, you type all this bullsh&t about Orlando fans "could make a case that he's a bust," yet in your own f&cking thread you put him on the list of BIGGEST bust in the history of the NBA. Idiotic.

Then again, you are really showing your inability to understand what you yourself are posting. There is NO way, in any way shape or form, that Grant Hill can be considered the "NBA'S BIGGEST BUST" (which happens to be your OWN thread title). And you keep on living in daydreamland, where your confusion over actual career accomplishments, the definition of "BIGGEST BUST", and front office decisions leads you to put Grant Hill on your f&cking list. Hilarious.

If you actually think that Grant Hill in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM can be considered a bust (A Free Agent Bust- there are different levels and types of failures and disappointments) than you really do have Apples for brains.

A BUST can be defined as a disappointment, a failure to meet expectations. And how can one be a disappointment? Well, first one has to excel in his chosen area of expertise in order to draw a level of attention. THEN something goes wrong, whether it be actual lack of talent, lack of trying, injuries- whatever, where it's at the point where that person is either not excelling or has even plummeted. THe BIGGEST bust- now, that's for a contributor to choose- but once again, I'm going back to explaining the basic mechanics of communication on a message board, something you didn't get the first time and STILL don't get.

And I'm NOT going to explain again why an Orlando fan could make that argument, I am no longer rehashing what I've written earlier just because some of lack basic reading comprehension.

ANd I seriously doubt you actually followed Grant Hill's career back in the mid Nineties. How old are you? Prove to me you actually followed his career. I certainly can explain a whole slew of things that happened in the NBA during that time reign- can you?

Over and OUT- it's Saturday night kids, don't you have somewhere to go? Oh that's right, it's beddie time for you guys.
Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #38
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

1. When a player doesn't fulfills his potential due to an injury or a death, I don't think it's called a bust. Rather an unfortunate case or a tragedy.

2. To list Penny and Grant Hill as candidates to "NBA's biggest bust" isn't really smart because both players did reached their potential -and probably even surpassed it- at some point.

As for the MJ comparisons, that wasn't the potential any reasonable fan / analyst had at any point. Oh, the hype, yes. Even Harold Miner had some MJ comparisons at some point, so what?

3. When even besides injuries the players were never close to fulfilling their potential, then I think it's fair to call them busts. See Jonathan Bender here.

4. After reading some of the thread maker's post, I think it's a safe bet to say he never followed Penny and Grant, so we should take this thread as a plead for NBA education.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #39
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
If you actually think that Grant Hill in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM can be considered a bust

You idiot. You yourself put him on the list of the NBA's "BIGGEST BUST"....do you know what a superlative is? BIGGEST BUST, aka the ONE player who despite his talent and hype, did the WORST. Please, stop trying to dig yourself into an even deeper hole.

And further more, you try and work around it by utilizing bullsh&t hypotheticals and front office decisions to try and somehow put down his accomplishments. And what's even funnier is that you are arguing that he's "a bust" in general, yet you were stupid enough to put him in your own thread as the NBA's "BIGGEST" bust.

Quote:
A BUST can be defined as a disappointment, a failure to meet expectations. And how can one be a disappointment? Well, first one has to excel in his chosen area of expertise in order to draw a level of attention. THEN something goes wrong, whether it be actual lack of talent, lack of trying, injuries- whatever, where it's at the point where that person is either not excelling or has even plummeted.

If he has already excelled for years and accomplished so much, but his career is derailed by f&cking unavoidable injuries, you call that disappointment. In this case, it is different than a BUST. A BUST is somebody who has the hype, skill, potential, but doesn't have anything to show for it.

You should learn this very crucial difference. A BUST has a negative personal connotation, indicating that the player failed due to avoidable personal flaws. Examples of this include: Washburn's drug addiction, and Olowokandi's complete lack of actual skill. On the flip side, people refer to Grant HIll's "disappointing career" because of the unavoidable injuries that took away many years of his prime. However, nobody even remotely considers Hill a "BUST" because of all of the accolades and accomplishments he's managed to get in just a few years of playing time.

Quote:
ANd I seriously doubt you actually followed Grant Hill's career back in the mid Nineties. How old are you?

If you seriously followed teh NBA all the way back then and know "so much about Grant Hill", then you could not possibly stupid enough to put Grant Hill as a candidate on your own list of "NBA's BIGGEST BUSTS." That is the most illogical and f&cking stupidest things I have ever heard.

Quote:
Prove to me you actually followed his career. I certainly can explain a whole slew of things that happened in the NBA during that time reign- can you?

Again, another utterly useless comeback. Maybe you, as the thread author, should prove to US why Grant can be considered as a candidate for the "BIGGEST BUST in the history of the NBA" (which, according to your own thread, is what you are saying).

Last edited by AppleNader : 08-11-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #40
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
1. When a player doesn't fulfills his potential due to an injury or a death, I don't think it's called a bust. Rather an unfortunate case or a tragedy.

2. To list Penny and Grant Hill as candidates to "NBA's biggest bust" isn't really smart because both players did reached their potential -and probably even surpassed it- at some point.

As for the MJ comparisons, that wasn't the potential any reasonable fan / analyst had at any point. Oh, the hype, yes. Even Harold Miner had some MJ comparisons at some point, so what?

3. When even besides injuries the players were never close to fulfilling their potential, then I think it's fair to call them busts. See Jonathan Bender here.

4. After reading some of the thread maker's post, I think it's a safe bet to say he never followed Penny and Grant, so we should take this thread as a plead for NBA education.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #41
Manphibian420
very nice

Manphibian420 has an OK reputation so far

Nader, I don't think you need to argue so fervently with this guy. The most common response in this thread seems to be of the "what the hell are you talking about" variety, so far he has received no support. Anyone with any concept of what a bust is already realizes Hill isn't even in the discussion. For ****s sake, he included a guy who died of a heart attack before playing in the NBA

Besides, he's not calling him a bust! He's merely including him on a list of the potential biggest busts ever and attributing it to imaginary posters who support him and/or brought him up as a bust to begin with. /sarcasm
Manphibian420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #42
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This thread has been a joke.

Grant Hill should never be used in the same sentence as "bust"
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #43
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nym
Once again, I don't think he's NBA's biggest bust- even though I am a Magic fan- but many other Orlando Magic fans could argue that he is, considering how much affect he has had with his or her favorite team over the past 7 years,

Wow, now don't bring other Magic Fans into this. I'm sure you're the only one that agrees that he's been a big bust. I certainly don't and I'm a Magic fan. Even when he was injured he managed to exceed expectations when he played. Hell, 2 seasons ago, when everyone expected him to sit on the bench and do nothing, he made the ****ing All-Star team. How can you call that a bust? Injuries slowed him down, but in the early part of his career, he lived up to every expectation thrown at him, and even exceeded some. He's not a bust in way, shape, or form.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #44
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

"I'm Grant Hill's biggest fan, I never called him a bust! just that everyone else on my planet consider him a bust!"
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #45
Classic
Kids at the park dunk on me

Classic has an OK reputation so far

From the standpoint of the Orlando Magic, Grant Hill was a bust. You people who argue otherwise are missing the point. The guy was and forever will be a freeagent bust. The dude played like 20% of eligible games over an extended period of time for max money. He got very little in return for the franchise. You the fans say he's not a bust because 'it wasn't his fault he got injured,' 'he had great stats in detroit,' and 'could be hall of fame,' but from the perspective of the Orlando franchise, he, from the bottom line, was a bust. Quit crying because from a business perspective, he was a bust.

btw, if you just argued about Grant Hill not being a bust, you don't look as smart as you think you are, fans...because if my business and my personal money was tied into the Orlando Magic, I'd have been pissed and kicking myself over that guy. From those guy's perspective=bust!

Last edited by Classic : 08-12-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: