Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #31
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 07 Draft sleepers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I thought the roster max was 15 now? I was thinking get the roster to 17 and keep two players in the D-League at a time.

Nichols, Wilson Chandler, and Randolph Morris are all still D-League eligible.
I was incorrect. They have 16 right now. The limit is 15 even with players in the D-League. You send someone down to the D-League, they still take up a roster spot.

But they only have 16 under contract right now so a 2 for 1 would get to 15, but that still leaves Nichols out.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #32
Jakez On Point11
I brick open layups

Jakez On Point11 has an OK reputation so far

Acie Law Jr.
Jakez On Point11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #33
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
-#53 pick Demetris Nichols might be stuck in the worst situation of any of the drafted players. The Knicks already have 16 players with fully guaranteed contracts before Nichols even comes into the equation. That means for him to survive training camp, New York will have to cut both Fred Jones and Dan Dickau (combined salaries: $6,290,028) for him to have the honor of being their 15th man. Unfortunately for Nichols, both Jones and Dickau fit in very nicely on New York’s depth chart as 3rd string guards, while the Syracuse product is staring at the chance of being the 5th small forward on the roster in the unlikely case he makes it. Needless to say, the situation looks bleak. And even more needless to say considering the trend we’re starting to see, Nichols already fired his agent Bill Duffy and hired Bill Neff to sort out the mess in his place. Is it Duffy’s fault that New York’s roster situation is as sorry as it is? Probably not, but someone had to pay the price.

Quote:
-#44 pick Reyshawn Terry is in an even worse predicament. Dallas is booked solid with 15 fully guaranteed contracts, and does not have any room to maneuver unless they swallow the $770,000 guaranteed on Brandon Bass’ minimum deal. That seems highly unlikely considering that he just signed it. From what we were told, Terry is being shopped overseas by local European agents, and the Mavericks have tried to recommend him to high-level Euroleague coaches—which makes sense since they’d clearly prefer to stash him in Europe rather than have to cut him in training camp and lose his rights.

Sorry, Da KO King. Per DraftExpress.

You guys should go read their article about the NBA being full. It's crazy how many good players won't be able to find a roster spot this year.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #34
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Aaron Brooks

bingo
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #35
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Sorry, Da KO King. Per DraftExpress.

You guys should go read their article about the NBA being full. It's crazy how many good players won't be able to find a roster spot this year.
Those two will find a spot someplace. They are too good not to.

Also, Nichols has just enough quickness to last as a SG.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #36
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakez On Point11
Acie Law Jr.
Don't think you can go lottery and be considered a sleeper.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
fatboy11

Quote:
Those two will find a spot someplace. They are too good not to.

Also, Nichols has just enough quickness to last as a SG.
They will find a spot........in the D-League or overseas.

They might play in the NBA at some point this year, but the deck is stacked against both of them. This is why their teams are trying to get them to go overseas this year so they can still retain their rights.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #38
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
They might play in the NBA at some point this year, but the deck is stacked against both of them. This is why their teams are trying to get them to go overseas this year so they can still retain their rights.
Actually I didn't think of the Overseas to keep the right angle.

Considering the Knicks just made a deal to play Maccabi Tel Aviv in the preseason I wouldn't be shocked to see Nichols sign with them. Would give the Knicks a chance to see in in a competitive setting against the guys he would have to beat for minutes.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #39
fatboy11

Well, it looks like Nichols doesn't want to go overseas and will take his chances in Knicks camp.

Quote:
According to Neff, Nichols was unhappy with the New York Knicks' roster situation. The Knicks traded for the 6-foot-8 Nichols in a draft-night deal with Portland. However, the Knicks have 16 players with fully guaranteed contracts, putting them one over the NBA's roster limit before Nichols gets factored in.

Neff said Duffy had talked with the Knicks on a plan to send Nichols, who led Syracuse in scoring last year with 18.9 points per game, to Italy for a year - an arrangement that would allow the Knicks to retain his rights.

"There was an understanding with the previous agent and the Knicks that he would go overseas," Neff said. "Unfortunately, I don't think Demetris was privy to that. He doesn't want to go overseas."

Nichols brings the number of former SU players on Neff's roster of clients to three. Neff already represents McNamara and Jason Hart.

Nichols was New York's second-leading scorer in the Las Vegas summer league, averaging 15.6 points.

"He hopes to make the Knicks and I think he will," Neff said, "but if he doesn't, after his showing in Las Vegas, I think other teams will be interested in him. But the plan is for him to be a Knick."

Neff said Nichols is training at the Knicks' facility in Purchase. The Knicks are expected to extend a tendering offer this week, which will enable Nichols to join the team's training camp when it opens on Oct. 1.

"We hope he makes the Knicks," Neff said. "We're planning on that, but the reality is if the Knicks can't keep him, there are plenty of other teams that would like to have him."

Bad idea, I think. The number of teams able to put him on the roster after he gets cut is very, very slim. I think a year lighting up the Euroleague would have done him wonders at the negotiating table.

Looks like he's determined to play in the NBA this season and I think he will, but he just kissed any kind of guaranteed money goodbye.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #40
fatboy11

That's from a Syarcuse newpaper, by the way.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #41
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Demetris Nichols can sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers as a Rookie Free Agent before the training camp starts in October.

We still have 1 left Spot on our roster due to the fact that David Wesley will retire at the start of training camp.

The Characteristics i like about Nichols Game is Moves well without the ball working off screens and picks … Has legit NBA three point range on his jumper … Has the potential to be a quality defender … Excels shooting off the dribble from mid-range … Smooth player who makes difficult plays look easy … Solid athlete who has good leaping ability with long arms which allow him to be a adequate shot blocker … Excellent free throw shooter … Does a decent job of using fakes and hesitation shots to draw fouls … Patient player who doesn’t force the action, simply lets the game come to him … Nichols is an explosive scorer capable of putting up big points … Athletically he is sound but not what you would call explosive … For his size there are few who have his ability to shoot from the outside … His ability to shoot from the outside will benefit Lebron James who will probably concentrate tearing down the house with his 1 on 1 plays. I think the teammates that will fits Lebron James is guys who can hit those outside shoots because the Cavaliers really need enough scorer off the bench and signing Nichols will be a huge asset for our team.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-21-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #42
Da KO King

Do I smell a LeBron James for the draft rights to Demetris Nichols trade brewing? :)
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #43
fatboy11

Well, Reyshawn Terry has signed with a team in Greece for this upcoming season. I'm sure he'll be in Dallas next year, though, with a year of pro ball under his belt.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #44
Da KO King

Quote:
Well, Reyshawn Terry has signed with a team in Greece for this upcoming season. I'm sure he'll be in Dallas next year, though, with a year of pro ball under his belt.
Was it a multi year deal?

Either way its a smart move for Reyshawn. Especially if its a multi year but relatively short deal. Greek teams are pretty good about teaching off ball movement and spot shooting. With his athleticism Terry improves those parts of his game and he'd be a productive NBA player.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #45
fatboy11

Quote:
Was it a multi year deal?

Either way its a smart move for Reyshawn. Especially if its a multi year but relatively short deal. Greek teams are pretty good about teaching off ball movement and spot shooting. With his athleticism Terry improves those parts of his game and he'd be a productive NBA player.
Not sure. I'm assuming that he'll look to come back over to Dallas next year, though. I don't know the specifics of the deal.

I'm surprised more teams don't do this with 2nd rounders.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: