Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #16
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Default Re: Where would Shaq rank all-time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Was there any need for this thread? You know he is going to play less than 60 games at his age. There isn't going to be a damn miracle. The Heat are old and you know it. Shaq doesn't even bother to get his ass into shape.

Damnit. I need some sleep.

How old are you?
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 AM   #17
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
How old are you?

That isn't any of your business.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #18
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

I have Shaq top 5 already.

My list:

1a. Magic
1b. Mike
3. Bird
4. Kareem
5. Shaq (and he could be number 4).

Wilt/Akeem/Bill are the other bigs in the convo, mainly Wilt IMO and I don't think Wilt is the player Shaq is. Shaq I think played against better competition, and while I think Wilt could've have similar stats in Shaqs era, I think Shaq is certainly more physically dominant and the post skills to match. Not to mention he's got more rings.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #19
YAWN
NBA All-star

i can't really see him moving up ahead of these guys if he won another title.
jordan
magic
kareem
wilt
bird

I already think shaq is number 6. i guess it would depend on how dominant he would have been throughout the season and the playoffs.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #20
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
i can't really see him moving up ahead of these guys if he won another title.
jordan
magic
kareem
wilt
bird

I already think shaq is number 6. i guess it would depend on how dominant he would have been throughout the season and the playoffs.

Wilt's overrated somewhat due to his era, still great, but I think you put Shaq in that era with his size and strength advantage aswell as his offensive skillset and he's maybe more dominant with more rings. I think if Wilt had more titles than Shaq or even the same amt, then you give him the edge out of respect and the WOW factor for his numbers, but I simply take
Shaq or Kareem over him.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #21
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon Vendetta
Shaq should already be ranked top 5 all time but he never will be because people simply don't like the thought of it and don't realize how truly good he is.

His prime year or two were the absolute best the game of basketball has ever seen by any single player.

His career is up there as well.

He was better as a rookie than anyone currently in the league is RIGHT NOW except maybe Duncan.

There is nobody in the league right now that will ever be even 75% as good as Shaq was in his prime.

Too bad he left Orlando huh?
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #22
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Shaq relies on his dwindling stamina and strength to be dominant, but since he's running out and the league's centers are getting even weaker, which would pose a probem for Shaq since a simple post up move would send them flying into the camermen, and the foul would automatically be Shaq's. However, he did get that triple-double last season with 10 assists, and even though I don't watch the Miami heat, I can't help but wonder if shaq trying to develop his game in other directions.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #23
wally_world
M0derator

he's currently Top 5 as a Center... (i feel)... behind Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Hakeem Olajuwan (better than Shaq i feel)... if he's gonna have a season like you predicted (Finals MVP etc) he's gonna make an impact but not so severe that he overtakes Russell Wilt and Kareem... the 3 best centers in the history of the game is Shaq should be glad he's No 4/5...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #24
imlmf
Banned

it's impossible

even if shaq's healthy the heat still doesn't have much of a chance to win the championship
imlmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #25
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Just out of, you know, curiosity, what's keeping Magic and Bird ahead of Shaq on almost all of these lists, taking into consideration the fact that bigmen are always more important?

Especially Bird. I'd actually love to see a breakdown justifying either of those guys over a guy like Shaq.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #26
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

I don't get it. This thread is about Shaq all-time but then talks about him getting healthy next year and being Finals MVP?

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Just out of, you know, curiosity, what's keeping Magic and Bird ahead of Shaq on almost all of these lists, taking into consideration the fact that bigmen are always more important?

Especially Bird. I'd actually love to see a breakdown justifying either of those guys over a guy like Shaq.
Well if someone actually takes the time to defend it with logic it goes something like this:

1. Magic and Bird had intangibles, in terms of personality, leadership, and clutch plays, much more than Shaq does, funny interviews aside.

2. Shaq barely ever plays a whole regular season, takes games off, etc.

3. Shaq is iconic of nothing, didn't save the NBA, is nobody's favorite player, did not change the game, and nobody patterns their game after him.

4. Shaq didn't maximize his potential / master basketball like Magic and Bird did. Both those guys were 90% from the line, had every skill known to man at that point, could hit threes, finish anywhere, create for anyone, knew where the other 9 players on the court were at any given time, and had an instinct for creating that I'm not sure anyone in the league today has other than Nash. Nash is another guy who mastered basketball. But he doesn't have the rings, glory, or, perhaps most importantly of all, the 6-9 frame of Magic so that's out.

But the fact is despite all that if you were starting a team from scratch you would pick prime Shaq over prime Bird or Magic. You just would. But that's not how these lists work for people. Why? Because they're retarded. Well. Not that retarded. Not as retarded as the guy who picks Kobe over Duncan. Just a little retarded.

And there's no "especially Bird" about it. I don't get it. Why is it common knowledge that Magic was better than Bird? Magic was FLASHIER than Bird. Bird was just as good as he was. Whenever someone actually tries to articulate the argument that Magic > Bird to me, it always falls apart, yet the assumption still stands. I don't get it.

In my mind Bird was better. Why? BECAUSE of Magic's flash. And Bird's opposed grit. In the end, despite all the fanfare and glory, if all else is even grit beats flash every time. Bird would go to war every night and would cut out your heart and crush it in his hands right in front of you, and tell you he was going to do it before he did. His career ended about 3 years earlier than it had to because of the way he played, and while Magic brought about a sense of having fun and fast breaking to his teammatesevery game, Bird brought a sense of going to war to his teammates every game, and I think, all else being equal, which it was, Bird comes out on top.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 08-13-2007 at 11:50 AM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #28
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
If he miraculously got in supreme shape next season, stayed healthy, and lead The Heat to a title and won finals MVP? Does his stock rise and become elite 5 or would it remain the same?

What kinda question is that? Anyone who adds a title AND a Finals MVP to their resume automatically jumps up a few spots on the all time list... the only one who can't move up anymore is Jordan because he's at the top... I mean really.... what kinda question is this? If Shaq wins another title and one more Finals MVP, that would mean 5 rings and 4 Finals MVP, so of course it would push him up some more.

Right now, I think Shaq is arguably on Magic/Bird level, but if someone said he wasn't, it would be reasonable and I wouldn't argue about it. But if Shaq adds another title and finals MVP, then it would be WRONG for anyone to say Shaq isn't on Magic/Bird level... get it? So Shaq right now is arguably top 5 or 6 all time, but if he does what you suggset, he would almost no doubt be top five.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I don't get it. This thread is about Shaq all-time but then talks about him getting healthy next year and being Finals MVP?

Quote:
it's impossible

even if shaq's healthy the heat still doesn't have much of a chance to win the championship

It's a hypothetical question.
Again, for the people who aren't reading through the whole thread, it's not a question on if Shaq will be healthy and in shape, it's a question on what if he was healthy and in shape. Kind of like "What if Shaq stayed on the Magic?" or "What if Jordan never retired?"
Nowhere was I predicting Shaq would get healthy
Somebody please help me on explaining what hypothetical mean.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #30
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Oh, I get it. Hypothetical.

What if scientists found a way to genetically splice Jordan and Shaq? WHAT IF?!

These threads are silly. Shaq is Shaq, one of the most dominant Centers in NBA history. Healthy or no, bad work ethic or no.

WHAT IF DARKO GOT PLAYING TIME AND WAS BETTER THAN LEBRON NOW?

:rollingeyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
It's a hypothetical question.
Again, for the people who aren't reading through the whole thread, it's not a question on if Shaq will be healthy and in shape, it's a question on what if he was healthy and in shape. Kind of like "What if Shaq stayed on the Magic?" or "What if Jordan never retired?"
Nowhere was I predicting Shaq would get healthy
Somebody please help me on explaining what hypothetical mean.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: