Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
artificial
:-P

Default Ime Udoka to the Spurs

Quote:
Ime Udoka, whose rise from the NBA Development League to NBA starter made him a fan favorite with the Trail Blazers, is poised to sign a multiyear contract with the reigning-champion San Antonio Spurs.

(...)

Boston, Miami, Memphis, Cleveland and Dallas expressed interest, according to Cowan, with the Celtics -- after trading for Kevin Garnett earlier this month -- being the most serious bidders.

But financial terms never could be agreed upon and in the end, San Antonio became the ideal fit.
Link

Very solid addition for the Spurs. Still, would've liked to see him in the Celts.

Thoughts?

Last edited by artificial : 08-13-2007 at 09:59 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Default Ime Udoka Next Stop: San Antonio

Ime Udoka, whose rise from the NBA Development League to NBA starter made him a fan favorite with the Trail Blazers, is poised to sign a multiyear contract with the reigning-champion San Antonio Spurs.

Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, told The Oregonian on Sunday that Udoka has made a commitment to the Spurs and hoped to have a deal finalized by Tuesday.

Cowan would not reveal contract specifics, but sources have indicated that Udoka will sign a two-year deal worth more than $2 million. The second year could be a player option.

"San Antonio was the first team to contact us and we've been in communication with each other ever since," Cowan said. "They were very respectful to us during the process and allowed us to go out and seek more money. But the well dried up. Ime's excited for this opportunity."

Udoka had hoped throughout free agency to re-sign with Portland, Cowan said. But after the Blazers traded for James Jones and signed free agents Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, the team had committed to the maximum of 15 guaranteed contracts. So he shifted focus.

Boston, Miami, Memphis, Cleveland and Dallas expressed interest, according to Cowan, with the Celtics -- after trading for Kevin Garnett earlier this month -- being the most serious bidders.

But financial terms never could be agreed upon and in the end, San Antonio became the ideal fit.

"This is an opportunity for Ime to play on the grand stage with the defending champions," Cowan said. "Portland will always be in his heart, but this opportunity was too good to pass up. He's going to play around three all-stars and a Hall of Famer, and he gets the opportunity to play for a champion right now."

Udoka, who played at Jefferson High School and Portland State, will provide San Antonio with solid long-range shooting, superior perimeter defense and a tireless work ethic.

The Blazers invited him to their training camp last season as an afterthought, but he blossomed into an opening-day starter. He started 75 games at small forward, averaging 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game, and shot 46.1 percent from the field, including 40.6 percent from three-point range.

Before the breakout season, Udoka was a journeyman, making professional stops in Europe, the NBA Development League and the NBA.

"He's excited to start the next phase of his career," Cowan said. "He wants to be a Spur for a long time."

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/or...330.xml&coll=7

Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Black Durant Jam
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Ime Udoka to the Spurs

Good signing, it will give them some extra depth, but I still would have preferred for them to keep Scola.
Black Durant Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
kumquat
College superstar

I've got a feeling he's going to take over bowens role.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Interminator
Banned

^^Bowen's back-up
This way they can cut down on their over-use of Finley
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Black Durant Jam
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
I've got a feeling he's going to take over bowens role.
Isn't Ime already 30 though?
Black Durant Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Default Re: Ime Udoka Next Stop: San Antonio

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

It is a good signing. Considering the huge contract someone like Kapono got recently, 2 years for 2 Mil isn't bad at all. Spurs don't necassarily need the depth, but they need another swingman who can defend (ie. Finley and Barry aren't great man-to-man defenders). Hopefully, he can give Bowen some relief, I'm not sure about replacement just yet. Just playing alongside each other will be worthwhile. Judging by his agent's comments, he sounds into it as well, good to hear. Bowen too was an undrafted journeyman in the NBA. About the same age as Ime when he joined the Spurs as well.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Durant Jam
Isn't Ime already 30 though?

yup, same age bowen was when he first signed with san antonio. he will eventually take over bowens minutes in the regular season so bowen is fresh for the playoffs.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Good signing for the Spurs....damn them.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

He's getting something like 2 mill over 2 years or something lame like that.

I hate to say I told y'all so... But I DISTINCTLY remember telling a bunch of cats that Udoka wasn't getting more than a pinch of scratch from the Spurs.

And what do ya know.. somewhere between vet's min and the LLE. EXACTLY what I said he'd be making.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
He's getting something like 2 mill over 2 years or something lame like that.
And Boston couldn't afford that. So I guess the only way they are going to get any bench depth -if they manage to- is via trades, right?

I think SskSpurs' prediction is pretty accurate, and that will help Udoka keep developing as a good defensive player, while allowing Spurs to have old dirty Bowen fresh and useful when they need him.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
KIWI

haha Spurs at their best 2 mil over 2 years for a guy that fits in with the Spurs perfectly!

i like this signing relieves some of the pressure off of Bowen particularly against the much quicker players in the league!

Spurs just got better defensively im loving this
Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:
So I guess the only way they are going to get any bench depth -if they manage to- is via trades, right?
I doubt it, they don't really have anything left to trade besides Tony Allen, Perk, and Scalabrine.

They will add veteran's minimum players since they end up getting paid more than they count against the tax.

...at least that is my opinion.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #15
Manphibian420
very nice

Damn, great signing by SA. Ime was my favorite sleeper FA this year, I think he's poised to have a Raja Bell type breakout (though his numbers obviously won't be as good coming off the bench for the D-minded Spurs). He's only 1 year younger than Raja, but this could be his first chance to play a significant role for a winning team, and he happens to be a perfect fit for that team and role.
Manphibian420 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: