Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far
Default What's more tiring?

My buddy and I are having a debate about what is more tiring: playing a guard position or playing a PF/C position.

Here are the basci arguements:

G: You are running around a lot more. You generally need to be the first guy back when the other teamn is fast breaking. You have to generally guard the quicker guys so you are spedning a lot of energy. You are generally gbuardedf by quicker gusy that apply a lot of pressure tiring you out.

PF: You have to generally go from post to post so you cover more distance running. you are constatntly banging against big guys which is taxing on the entire body (this includes fighting for position, boxing out etc). You also are always running around setting screen and rolls and pick and rolls.

What do you guys think? I'm especially interested in heraing from the guys that play both positions or have played both. But i'd also like to get opinions both ways and if possible why you think that.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: What's more tiring?

Are we talking guard as in pg or sg? Big difference...

I played PG 2 years ago and it was defiantly more tiring then playing the post like I do now. You gotta constantly be chasing a little speedy guy all around the court and then you have to bring the ball up and create....
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The guard position is much more tiring. Usually you're running around all the time anyway, guarding the other guards...if you really want to do that :P

Defense alone is tiring, I was at a camp this summer; and most of it was focused on defense.
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Neither is ever tiring, because I never grow tired of dominating.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Both equally tiring. Think about how much harder it is to run if you're 7'0 260+ lbs. as opposed to 6'2 180 lbs.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Obviously being a guard. To play defense as a guard you have to move around so much more.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Being a guard is BY FAR the most tiring position in the game. Do you see any overweight guards? Do you see any out of shape guards playing big time minutes? Guards have to push through ridiculous levels of physical fatigue that big men don't ever reach.

Put it this way. You won't find someone with Shaq's level of stamina playing the guard position. Guards are the most conditioned athletes in the game, and have a much better work ethic than big men.

It's easy to be a big man and dominate in the game. Be tall, strong, and fairly athletic, and you can score. That's it.

Worst analysis I've ever read.

I say guard because you have to run laterally on both sides a lot more playing defense, however don't dismiss the toll the body to body contact takes, fighting for a rebound you have to exert your strength full force in a controlled manner.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Molson
Great young streetballer

The amount of running around a guard has to do is defeinitly tiring and they definitely do a lot more lateral movement then the big men.

For the guys that say being a guard is more tiring, i have a question. Do you think that it is tiring to constantly, on both ends, have to fight for position? Remember these guys have to go full body weight on body weight (and we are talking big boys) at both the offensive and defesnive sides of the ball.

A guard def rusn mroe than a big man, but i don;t think thats where the big man exhaustion comes in. I tnink the exhaustion is more from the contant body on body battling.

This is not a comparison about who runs more (although going from post to post is a much bigger distance then going from top of the key to top of the key). This is a comparison about overall exhaustion based on what the body has to exert in the position.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:

I'm not dismissing the toll of banging bodies and fighting for rebounds. I'm saying that running your ass off and moving laterally non stop, at full speed, for 4 quarters is a hell of a lot more physically demanding than pushing people around, boxing out, and banging bodies.

Fat people live for contact. Fat people can bang, do the dirty work, and garbage like that.

True athletes are conditioned. Not one fat person is a conditioned athlete.

Guards > Big men

I'm just curious, have you ever had to play a whole game in a big man position?

Name one elite level PF that is fat in the NBA. The athelticism of a guard has more to do with the quickness and speed they need to deal with the position and less with the stamina.

For the record though, it is definitely exhausting having to run around and guard guards all day.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:

I'm not dismissing the toll of banging bodies and fighting for rebounds. I'm saying that running your ass off and moving laterally non stop, at full speed, for 4 quarters is a hell of a lot more physically demanding than pushing people around, boxing out, and banging bodies.

Fat people live for contact. Fat people can bang, do the dirty work, and garbage like that.

True athletes are conditioned. Not one fat person is a conditioned athlete.

Guards > Big men

I'm just curious, have you ever had to play a whole game in a big man position?

Name one elite level PF that is fat in the NBA. The athelticism of a guard has more to do with the quickness and speed they need to deal with the position and less with the stamina.

For the record though, it is definitely exhausting having to run around and guard guards all day.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

As somebody who plays both positions, I can easily say playing the guard position is harder. I am not too tall but I have enough strength to keep bigger guys out of the post. Even when a guy is twice my size (literally in weight), I find it much easier to preserve my energy than chasing around a fast guard. Btw, when asked my main position, my response is always PG, and I still find playing post easier on my endurance.
Myth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

This is kind of a silly question, as the answer depends on the person. Personally I think it's a lot more tiring to try and bang with big guys who are much larger and heavier than myself. I'm strong enough to do so, but running around the perimeter is much less tiring than pushing around guys who outweigh me by a ton.

In contrast, the big guys are obviously going to get more tired running running around the perimeter, as that takes away their natural size advantage.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think you might be in the minority though. The answer is not in clear black and white, but I think for most it would be the guard position. Maybe skinny distance running types have an easy time running around everywhere but struggle against big guys. I myself though am a sprinter and I still get more tired running around as a guard.
Myth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I think you might be in the minority though. The answer is not in clear black and white, but I think for most it would be the guard position. Maybe skinny distance running types have an easy time running around everywhere but struggle against big guys. I myself though am a sprinter and I still get more tired running around as a guard.

Like I said, I think it's a silly question because the answer depends on a billion different variables. For example, I mostly play pickup ball, so that's probably a big factor in this discussion. Pickup can be a lot more physical than organized ball, so strength can be used to partially neautralize those quick perimeter players. It also means I can't draw charges, (who calls offensive fouls in pickup? I've never seen it.) so if I'm matched up against some hulking beast who's just going to power his way through me Barkley style, my only recourse is to push back with all my might. That matchup doesn't happen too often, but the few times that it has, it has been completely exhausting.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
Nym
I airball my layups

Nym has an OK reputation so far

It seems like a lot of guards end up retiring much earlier than big men, so I would have to say guards. They also seem to be plagued more by injuries when by the time they are in their young 30s more so than big men.
Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: