Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Team Breakdown:Atlanta Hawks

Does anyone remember the last time Atlanta made the playoffs?

Exactly.Atlanta has a very talented roster but they are still trying to find an identity as a team.Their star player Joe Johnson missed a portion of the season due to injury and the team showed they need Joe.Josh Smith came into his own as one of the best young SF's in the league,sadly nobody saw it and none of his teammates elevated.Atlanta has made poor decisions when its come to drafting and thats the main factor thats holding them back.Zaza is an impressive young big man but he doesn't seem to have the drive to get better.As much as people doubt him Tyronn Lue is an underrated PG,he lacks the vision,passing,and defense most PG's exhibit he can command the game and be counted on to make shots when the rest of the team is struggling.Claxton is the exact opposite of Lue,Claxton has great vision,great ballhandling and a Top 5 PG on defense but he is a horrible shooter who hurts his team on the court and financially.Law is very similar to Tyronn Lue than people may think except Law is a tough player who doesn't back down from anyone when he drives to the rim and is more then prepared to take the game-winning shot.
Joe Johnson when healthy is a top SG in the league but sometimes i wonder why they dont start him at PG since he is such a great ballhandler for his height but when healthy he is a 25/6/6 type of player

Current Depth Chart:
PG-Lue,Law,Claxton,Johnson
SG-Johnson,Childress,Stoudamire
SF-Smith,M.Williams
PF-S.Williams,Horford
C-Pachulia,Jones,Wright

If Law can take his play from college and learn how to get the ball to their talented wings he should be a finalist for ROY,If the real Shelden Williams is the one I saw in the final 10 games of the season playing like a young Karl Malone then the PF position is his to lose.Josh Childress needs to step his game up to the next level this year because he's more than capable of averaging 15/10 per game this season but with this being a contract year expect him to give his all.Josh Smith needs to play at the pace he did last year and improve his jumpshot for this team to win.Marvin Williams needs to improve as well and show why he was picked over Paul and Williams.Horford needs to bring his college game with him to Atlanta and provide a 14/7 type of season.Salim Stoudamire needs to get more playing time,he is an underrated contributor off the bench and he has the passion to win others dont.Play Solomon Jones a lot more,hes oozing with potential and athleticism and could possibly lead the league in rebounds and blocks in the future.

Projected Record:32-50
No improvements to the team other than lottery picks.Too many "Ifs" on this team for them to even compete in the much stronger Eastern Conference this year.Sadly their the 14th best team in the East

My Suggestions:
Fire Mike Woodson
Fire Billy Knight after he has to hand their Top 5 pick to Steve Kerr
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Default Re: Team Breakdown:Atlanta Hawks

My Suggestions:

- Get rid of the horrible new uniforms.
- Get rid of the "edgy" Hawk logo which looks just like the "edgy" Arizona Cardinals logo. A new logo and uniforms doesn't make a horrible team any better.
- Bring back 'Nique as the new coach!
- Stop drafting 30 of the same position.

The Hawks are horrible, and will be horrible forever probably. No wonder nobody in Hotlanta cares about basketball and is more interested in the Vick case.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
My Suggestions:

- Get rid of the "edgy" Hawk logo which looks just like the "edgy" Arizona Cardinals logo. A new logo and uniforms doesn't make a horrible team any better.

The Hawks are horrible, and will be horrible forever probably. No wonder nobody in Hotlanta cares about basketball and is more interested in the Vick case.

I couldn't believe my eyes when they basically stole NJ's uniforms
Never bring back Dominique in any capacity to coaching,make him their leading scout
Yeah they need to start drafting Needs
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
grovetd
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
My Suggestions:

your an idiot
grovetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
My Suggestions:

Didnt know drafting a top PF/C and a top PG was so bad.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Weren't you the guy who said Solomon was going off for 12/12 or something. It's good to see you've lowered your expectations a little bit, and I actually agree with most of your analysis. The Hawks do have a lot of youth/depth at every position, and have tons of guys who are capable of having a breakout season.

The only thing that's holding this team back is their lack of a player you'd build a contender around. Josh Smith and Joe Johnson would be fantastic 2nd/3rd options on solid, playoff caliber teams, but they're not the type of players who could lead their team deep into the playoffs. Hopefully for the Hawks, one of their young guys or the two players I previously mentioned can improve, and take this team somewhere after years in the East cellar.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I really like Horford, but I'm not crazy about Law. He's not really all that athletic, and he's pretty close to bad defensively. He only put up a steal a game last year, and no blocks, along with a less then huge rebound rate. And his five assists are OK, but he also turned the ball over two and a half times a game last year.

It's not like I think the guy is going to be terrible, it's just that he could be one of those guys that is just good enough that you think your set at that spot, and it takes about 4 years to realize maybe you need an upgrade. Those guys can kill a team worst then a bust. At least a bust you can start a recouperation plan pretty quick.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
RagingBull33
I pooped a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovetd
your an idiot
Ahh, the irony...
RagingBull33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
hawkfan
Banned

Two biggest problems for the Hawks:

1. No good passer in the front court.
2. Need another defensive presence at center.

The point guard position should be solved, if we get any decent play out of Law. The Hawks have three decent backups in Lue, Johnson and Claxton, so if Law does anything, we should be ok there.

I predict 38-44 wins.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator

Exactly.Atlanta has a very talented roster but they are still trying to find an identity as a team.Their star player Joe Johnson missed a portion of the season due to injury and the team showed they need Joe.Josh Smith came into his own as one of the best young SF's in the league,sadly nobody saw it and none of his teammates elevated.Atlanta has made poor decisions when its come to drafting and thats the main factor thats holding them back.Zaza is an impressive young big man but he doesn't seem to have the drive to get better.As much as people doubt him Tyronn Lue is an underrated PG,he lacks the vision,passing,and defense most PG's exhibit he can command the game and be counted on to make shots when the rest of the team is struggling.Claxton is the exact opposite of Lue,Claxton has great vision,great ballhandling and a Top 5 PG on defense but he is a horrible shooter who hurts his team on the court and financially.Law is very similar to Tyronn Lue than people may think except Law is a tough player who doesn't back down from anyone when he drives to the rim and is more then prepared to take the game-winning shot.
Joe Johnson when healthy is a top SG in the league but sometimes i wonder why they dont start him at PG since he is such a great ballhandler for his height but when healthy he is a 25/6/6 type of player

Current Depth Chart:
SF-Smith,M.Williams
PF-S.Williams,Horford
C-Pachulia,Jones,Wright

If Law can take his play from college and learn how to get the ball to their talented wings he should be a finalist for ROY,If the real Shelden Williams is the one I saw in the final 10 games of the season playing like a young Karl Malone then the PF position is his to lose.Josh Childress needs to step his game up to the next level this year because he's more than capable of averaging 15/10 per game this season but with this being a contract year expect him to give his all.Josh Smith needs to play at the pace he did last year and improve his jumpshot for this team to win.Marvin Williams needs to improve as well and show why he was picked over Paul and Williams.Horford needs to bring his college game with him to Atlanta and provide a 14/7 type of season.Salim Stoudamire needs to get more playing time,he is an underrated contributor off the bench and he has the passion to win others dont.Play Solomon Jones a lot more,hes oozing with potential and athleticism and could possibly lead the league in rebounds and blocks in the future.

No improvements to the team other than lottery picks.Too many "Ifs" on this team for them to even compete in the much stronger Eastern Conference this year.Sadly their the 14th best team in the East

My Suggestions:
Fire Mike Woodson

Damn that was a bad breakdown. Let me do some edits.

Projected Lineup

PG: Speedy/Law/Lue/AJ
SG: Joe Johnson/J. Childress/Salim Stoudamire
SF: Marvin Williams/Josh Childress
PF: Josh Smith/Al Horford/Shelden Williams
C: Zaza Pachulia/Shelden Williams/Horford/Solo Jones

Key offseason Additions

Al Horford: Horford comes into the league as a polished low post scorer and rebounder. Att 6'10 he has the ability play the 4 and 5 positions, which gives the Hawks good flexibilty in the frontcourt.

Acie Law: Law is a guard with size that has the abilty to penetrate and hit shots from the outside. He is often compared to Chauncey Billups in terms of his skill set and competitiveness. He is the heir apparent at point guard if the oft injured Speedy Claxton fails to live up to his 6 mil per contract.

Projected record 40-42

This year will determine whether the Hawks are turning the corner towards respectibility. They have young talent in Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and Childress, all which are poised for breakout seasons. They also have a leader in All Star Joe Johnson, who is a top 5 sg when healthy. If this young nucleus, along with a healhy Speedy Claxton gells, then they may challenge for a playoff spot....anything less will certainly result in the disposal of Mike Woodson and GM Billy Knight.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator

Current Depth Chart:
SF-Smith,M.Williams
PF-S.Williams,Horford
C-Pachulia,Jones,Wright

My Suggestions:
Fire Mike Woodson

Damn that was a bad breakdown. Let me do some edits.

Projected Lineup

PG: Speedy/Law/Lue/AJ
SG: Joe Johnson/J. Childress/Salim Stoudamire
SF: Marvin Williams/Josh Childress
PF: Josh Smith/Al Horford/Shelden Williams
C: Zaza Pachulia/Shelden Williams/Horford/Solo Jones

Key offseason Additions

Al Horford: Horford comes into the league as a polished low post scorer and rebounder. Att 6'10 he has the ability play the 4 and 5 positions, which gives the Hawks good flexibilty in the frontcourt.

Acie Law: Law is a guard with size that has the abilty to penetrate and hit shots from the outside. He is often compared to Chauncey Billups in terms of his skill set and competitiveness. He is the heir apparent at point guard if the oft injured Speedy Claxton fails to live up to his 6 mil per contract.

Projected record 40-42

This year will determine whether the Hawks are turning the corner towards respectibility. They have young talent in Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and Childress, all which are poised for breakout seasons. They also have a leader in All Star Joe Johnson, who is a top 5 sg when healthy. If this young nucleus, along with a healhy Speedy Claxton gells, then they may challenge for a playoff spot....anything less will certainly result in the disposal of Mike Woodson and GM Billy Knight.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

As a Hawk fan, are you really thrilled with Law, or are you do you just think he was the best available? I thought they were in a tough spot this year, because to me they were right on the cusp. I really thought Horford was the third best player in the draft, and by a wide enough margin it would have been tough to reach for a need outside of him. But as a combo, I somehow felt I'd rather have had Conley and another big later on. I just really wasn't crazy about Law I guess.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
ReturnOfJimi
Made that high school varsity squad

OK, in response to the original poster...

All their youngsters need more minutes?

How does one do that?

Why even have Pachulia, LoWright, Claxton and Lue on the team?

I'm baffled, here.

Quote:
If Law can take his play from college and learn how to get the ball to their talented wings he should be a finalist for ROY
OK
Quote:
If the real Shelden Williams is the one I saw in the final 10 games of the season playing like a young Karl Malone then the PF position is his to lose
Williams is a bit more mechanical and less agile, more of a defensive presence. Not really seeing too much similarity, there... but.. OK
Quote:
osh Childress needs to step his game up to the next level this year because he's more than capable of averaging 15/10 per game this season but with this being a contract year expect him to give his all
OK
Quote:
Josh Smith needs to play at the pace he did last year
That's hard, you just gave a bunch of his minutes away to these scrubs.
Quote:
Marvin Williams needs to improve as well and show why he was picked over Paul and Williams
He's usually injured... and he won't get any minutes with Shelden playing like Karl Malone.
Quote:
Horford needs to bring his college game with him to Atlanta and provide a 14/7 type of season
...With Shelden playing like Malone, not to mention a "needed" 14 and 7 from Horford. Marvin, Zaza, Josh Smith, and LoWright are all sitting around saying "PLEASE DON'T SAY....

Quote:
Play Solomon Jones a lot more

...GOD DAMMIT!"

Quote:
Salim Stoudamire needs to get more playing time

Should he be eating JoJo and Childress's minutes at SG or all of Lue, Law, Anthony Johnson and Claxton's minutes at PG? EDIT - No, wait, I see now.. you must want Salim to start at SG with JoJo at PG?

Quote:
could possibly lead the league in rebounds and blocks in the future.
Naw... I'm thinkin Josh Powell.... oh no, wait... the dart actually hit "Josh McRoberts" ... so that's the random player I'll pick to lead the league in blocks and rebounds today.

Interminator... I'm sorry to have to tell you this... but you suck and you need to post less.

Last edited by ReturnOfJimi : 08-13-2007 at 09:46 PM.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

The problem exists at the top for the Hawks. Ownership partners are having some real problems. They can't seem to agree on anything and That seems to be affecting the whole organization in a negative way.

Quote:
The bitter battle within the Atlanta Hawks' ownership group escalated Thursday when one of the owners took his partners to court and got a restraining order against them. The order, sought by Steve Belkin in a Boston court, temporarily prohibits the majority of the Hawks' owners from removing him as the team's NBA governor a position Belkin has used this week to block a trade his partners want to make with the Phoenix Suns for guard Joe Johnson. Thursday's legal salvo is the latest setback for a troubled franchise that has struggled for years to win games, fans and credibility. The Boston-based Belkin filed the lawsuit against his partners after they called a meeting for Friday to vote on removing him as the Hawks' governor.

From Truehoop.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
Bigboi450
Learning to shoot layups

Fire Woodson and Billy Knight and you'll see instant improvement. They'd better better off in Terry Porter's hands or maybe Michael Cooper. Mike Woodson's record is horrendous. Coaches have been legitimately fired for less.
Bigboi450 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: