Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default nba players (ex. josh childress) going back to school: wise or a waste of time?

i have nothing but respect for nba players that go back to school in order to EXPAND THEIR MINDS

what is your opinion?

here is josh's story to prime the pump:

Josh Childress spent the summer taking summer classes at Stanford, working toward his degree
. But he's not stopping at summer school. Childress will enroll at Georgia State and continue his quest for academic enlightenment while trying to lift the Hawks out of their league-high eight-year playoff drought. Atlant Journal Constitution

Let's see, I'm 24-year-old millionaire. And I can spend the summer in Los Angeles working out and relaxing with family and friends or in summer school at Stanford? What are you crazy? Josh Childress: I know, right? Well, I've been out here since the end of June. And I start classes at Georgia State next week. This is just where I'm at right now in my life. I needed this. I needed to get back to this. So if someone sees me on campus at Georgia State they need to know that I'm not there for the honeys (laughing), I'm there to do work. The fact is, I took three years off and now I want to keep going and I don't want to stop again. Atlant Journal Constitution

Childress: I'm taking two classes, sociology of deviance and a physics course, the study of the universe. It chews up two full days a week. ... It's taken me a while, and really even now toward the ends of it, to realize that it's helping me. It's helping me maintain a business mindset and my focus. It's shown me how you set a goal, and stick with it until it's attained. Because I'm telling you, this physics class is a beast. I don't know if you ever took physics, but it's a monster. I'm sitting here working hard at it and everything else is just kind of falling into place. It's just a new motivation I've got in life, really. There's basketball, of course, but the truth is this summer for me ... I'm working. Atlant Journal Constitution

Childress: The ultimate goal, well, we've got some stuff up our sleeves out here [at Stanford]. I don't know if you've ever heard of the MBA program offered here where they bring the best and the brightest in the business world to come out and lecture guys and talk to them about all sorts of business matters. We had it last week and Mike James was here and I talked to him afterward and he was like, "Man, you've got to take advantage of this. Take it from me, an older guy. When I'm done playing I might come to business school out here because it's amazing." And I felt that, too. Being able to sit there and talk to some of these titans of industry and to be able to learn from them in this setting is invaluable. Atlant Journal Constitution
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: nba players (ex. josh childress) going back to school: wise or a waste of time?

i like it..Get ready for after bball..
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: nba players (ex. josh childress) going back to school: wise or a waste of time?

I've been to stanford, nice place, a mall to boot as well. I respect players who want to continue their education, shows a down-to-earth and a sense of planning for the future in players. Physics as well.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

Dodonpa has an OK reputation so far

how is he gonna be able to finish up the fall semester?
i know training camps start oct.. by november he's flying around..
hows he gonna do it then?
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Id like to quote Paul Simon:

"When I think back of all the crap I learned in Highschool,its a wonder I can think at all."

You don`t need to go to school to expand your mind...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

I also like it. Everything you do to improve yourself (in every sense) is going to be good.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Bigboi450
I airball my layups

Bigboi450 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Complete waste of time. NBA players will always be idiots. They will always be rich. That's all there is to it.

You should put an emoticon next to statements like that or people will think you're an idiot
Bigboi450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

i think what we need to know is, is he working on his game at all? two courses doesn't sound too heavy, it doesn't neccessary have to interfere with basketball.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

*waits for someone to mention Vince Carter*
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

Waste of time? Higher education is only a waste of time if you make it a waste of time. Those who believe it's a waste of time for someone else are themselves a waste of time.

Anyhow, athletes have a short career--at the most they'll be able to play into their early 40s. These tend to be highly motivated people, obviously, so retiring that young is rather awkward. So, they might as well prepare themselves for their next career.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

Dodonpa has an OK reputation so far

I think they need to take management and investing classes.
If they know how to invest properly, they really don't have to worry about anything else.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

most NBA players don't last more than 5 years. after that then what you are going to do??

you only get a huge pension if you last a long time in this league. if you didn't play through a few contracts, you better find a profession quick.

Childress is smart to be going back. An NBA player still has about 30 more working years after his career is over. there's tons of players from the 80s/90s that are dead broke right now.

In all of my years i've found that

A) higher education isn't vital to being successful but it gives you a huge advantage.
and
B) most of the people who look down on getting a bachelors or a masters more than likely don't have either one of those degrees. ;)

Last edited by AI Nuggets3 : 08-17-2007 at 08:55 PM.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

going to school even if you don't plan on getting a degree in the end, can never be considered a waste of time...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

I don't see NBA players going to school to be a waste of time if that's what they want to do. If going to school during the offseason is a waste of time, what about going on vacations or partying? That's not necessarily beneficial to a player's NBA career yet nobody calls it a waste of time because it's implied that the player enoys partying or going on vacation.

Maybe Childress enjoys learning about certain things. Education isn't always about money. Or maybe it's a pride thing, alot of players get stereotyped into dumb atheletes and want to break the image. Either way, it's his life and he can live it however he sees fit.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: