Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Admiral has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Team USA resumes training on August 15---big news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Thats what the coaches are hoping.

The whole practicing for a week and expecting to be ready is ridiculous.

Imagine if the USA really stinks it up and we don't even make the Olympics. :)

not that i watch USA ball religiously, but that would just be embarrassing. sure, we're a far cry from the dream team days, but we still have some pretty damned talented people...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
not that i watch USA ball religiously, but that would just be embarrassing. sure, we're a far cry from the dream team days, but we still have some pretty damned talented people...

Yeah, I watch guys like Kobe, and T-Mac, and Duncan, Kidd, etc. and I can't help but wonder to myself WTF happened to NBA basketball? Personally I think all the rule changes have made the league soft.

Obviously the original Dream Team had some phenomenal players, but still, a team full of NBA stars should be able to crush any countries best offering. Yet we're consistently getting beaten.

I've said this before... In the days of Dream Team 1 and 2, America dominated other teams physically. Now it's just the opposite. When our USA Basketball squads play over there, we are constantly hearing the announcers talk about how much more physical FIBA basketball is than the NBA.

I think we've bred weakness into our players, so to speak, with all these rule changes designed to protect the offensive player.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Is Chris Bosh playing??And is he 100%, I heard earlier he foot or something is messed up..
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Is Chris Bosh playing??And is he 100%, I heard earlier he foot or something is messed up..

the usabasketball blog thing on nba.com is updated. He said chris bosh is playing, but "may be limited" due to his foot injury
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #20
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
the usabasketball blog thing on nba.com is updated. He said chris bosh is playing, but "may be limited" due to his foot injury

if he is limited they should just cut him for this time around...he had enough trouble finishing around the basket and playing post defense when he wasnt limited..

that way they can bring both Chandler and Collison
Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
We're back in Las Vegas, where Team USA will begin practicing again today at a local high school at 12 p.m. PT. This phase of training actually began yesterday, when the Select Team got in their first practice and the Senior Team had a team meeting at the hotel.

This morning, the NBAE crew followed Kobe Bryant down to the fitness center in the team hotel to film his morning workout. I got a peak at some of the footage afterwards (the workout lasted an hour), and it's some pretty compelling stuff.

The highlight may be KB24 doing an exercise where you try to hold yourself up in a modified pushup position for 45 seconds. Sounds easy, but his arms were shaking at the end with the trainer telling him things like, "That's why you're the best" and "Fourth quarter" before he collapsed after holding it for the full 45.

I tried it when I got back to my room and my arms were shaking after five seconds.

So keep an eye out for that footage here in the next couple of days.

And I'll have a practice report later tonight.

-- Edited by John Schuhmann at 08/15/2007 10:54 AM

any idea what this exercise is??
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
any idea what this exercise is??

One-handed push up maybe? I can't imagine any other type of push up that would be hard to hold for 45 seconds.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #23
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd get excited about USA basketball, but some Latin American nation (or Spain) will invariably steal my heart and I'll end up rooting for them.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #24
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Beaking news:

Bosh withdraws from the training camp due to his foot injury.http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/bosh...aw_150807.html

Nice to see Collison getting added to the final lineup
Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #25
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
Beaking news:

Bosh withdraws from the training camp due to his foot injury.http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/bosh...aw_150807.html

Nice to see Collison getting added to the final lineup

either that or it could cause Coach K to put Lebron at power forward..Could be very good(Collison playing) could be a disater.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #26
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
either that or it could cause Coach K to put Lebron at power forward..Could be very good(Collison playing) could be a disater.

well hopefully Coach K learned his lesson
Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #27
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Bosh withdraws from the training camp due to his foot injury.

Great news for us Raptors fans. I just wish it didn't take this long to leave. Plantar fasciitis requires rest and team USA isn't paying his contract.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #28
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Great news for us Raptors fans. I just wish it didn't take this long to leave. Plantar fasciitis requires rest and team USA isn't paying his contract.
Agreed. This news just made my day.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #29
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Before we get into the practice report, here's an update on the rosters. Chris Bosh is in attendance, but he's not participating. He'll be here until the weekend, when he has leave to visit his doctor.

"Chris did a hell of a job for us last year and he's only gotten better," coach Mike Krzyzewski said after practice. "He's an All-Star. But the health of a player is most important, so hopefully it's not a serious thing."

J.J. Redick was with the Select Team and Nick Collison was with the Senior Team, although he was the only player without a number on his jersey.

So the Senior Team had 14 available players (which means only two won't make the tourney roster) and the Select Team had nine.

From the start of practice, there's seemed to be a clear starting five: Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. It's hard to argue with that group.
Practices for this second session of USA Basketball training camp are taking place at a local high school here in Las Vegas. It's a bit surreal seeing the likes of Bryant, James and Kidd playing on a high school floor, but the quality of play was the same as it is when these guys play in NBA arenas.

Of course, playing on a smaller court can be a good thing for some.

"For an older guy, that means less running," Kidd said afterward.

And everybody was ready to work from the start.

They began practice by focusing on the defensive end, walking through some half-court principles (including a lot of high screen-and-roll discussion), as well as putting in a full-court press.

After some stretching, they got up and down the floor a bit, working on transition offense and defense (highlighted by Collison emphatically rejecting 'Melo). They also did shooting drills and off-the-ball defensive drills, taking me back to my high-school days.

Then they brought in the Select Team for controlled (which means they basically go up and down the floor twice and then stop for instruction) scrimmages. The Senior Team split into two groups (with Kevin Durant and Tyson Chandler joining the above starters), with one group scrimmaging the select team for half an hour while the other group went into an auxiliary gym to shoot and walk through the offense. Then they switched it up.

Baskets did not come easy in either scrimmage, but the Select Team held their own. They didn't keep score, but I think the youngsters may have beaten the starters-plus-Durant-and-Chandler group. Andre Iguodala had a handful of breakaway dunks and the highlight of both scrimmages was an alley-oop from Aaron Brooks (who tossed it up from halfcourt) to Jeff Green (who threw down a reverse).

And those are two guys who haven't even played an NBA game yet.

"At first, it was nerve-racking," Green said about the whole experience, "because you get invited out here as a rookie to play against Kobe, LeBron, 'Melo ... all the superstars in the NBA. But after a while, you kinda settle down and know that you're here for a reason. So it was exciting for me, a good beginning to my career."

The scare of the day was Michael Redd going down in a heap after his feet came out from under him on a breakaway dunk. He got up and was OK though.

After practice, Jason Kidd was asked which one of the young guys impressed him the most.

"Kobe ... LeBron," he answered.

I guess they're all young to the 34-year old.

Coach K sucks...I hate him more now then I do when he coaches Duke..And trust me thats a lot.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #30
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

good thing about collison.

The US basketball team has all the talent in the world, about time they won something.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: