Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #31
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation
Default Re: Team USA resumes training on August 15---big news

Ewwwwwwww. Do you know who out of Melo or Lebron will be playing the PF position?

Either way, Coach K is a slow learner.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #32
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
USA Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski
On Chris Bosh's foot injury and being forced to withdraw from the team training:
It's disappointing because Chris did a great of a job for us last year, and he's only gotten better. He's an all-star. But the health of a player is the most important thing.

How does Bosh's absence affect training?
It means that a big guy has a better chance. The prep work will be alright, and the way we play will be fine. It does reduce numbers. We have 14 guys now. You'd always want more, but the 14 guys we've got are good guys.

On the sacrifice players make to participate:
That's true for both teams. We really appreciate the guys who are here for the Select Team, the coaches. P.J. Carlesimo and Jay Triano, they're not national team coaches. They're not even getting that recognition. They're coming here incognito so to speak. But our guys, I admire all of them because they've made three year commitments. Whether they are healthy the entire time or hurt, that's a big thing.

On Kobe Bryant:
Kobe is as good a player as there is on the planet, and he's a team oriented player. I think he's just as good defensively as he is offensively. That's a nice thing to have.

On having both Kobe Bryant and LeBron James:
They both have to change their roles. No matter what, all these guys still have to change their roles. LeBron can become even a better offensive rebounder because he's allowed to do that. Kobe passes the ball even more, which he has this whole practice. You know, where is Carmelo, is he a four or a three? They liked it two or three weeks ago, and I think are excited about doing it. They have a seriousness about them that is very professional.

On whether Kobe and LeBron are the face of this team:
I think if you asked them, they would say a lot about Jason (Kidd) and Carmelo (Anthony). Arguably, Carmelo was the most important player we had last year. I would hope that the face of the team is a composite of all the guys on the team, not just one or two. I don't think those guys would want that either. In fact, I know they wouldn't want that.

On the Men's Senior National Team:
Obviously we have a program now, and there's continuity. With continuity, there's continuity of relationships. They're comfortable with us. We are comfortable with them. You can say more things. You anticipate each other. Programs mean relationships, and we have good relationships. They're excited to be here, and we're excited to coach them. Again, you can't have them for too long because it's still not their day job, and you have to respect that, but they've been terrific.

On Carmelo Anthony:
I love Carmelo. He and I have become real close. Carmelo is a winner, and he's a heck of a competitor. He plays with courage on both ends of the court. I'd like him on my team any time.

Carmelo Anthony
On the first day of practice:
It went well. Everybody is in better shape than we were for our mini-camp in July. I think we picked up right where we left off and that is a good thing. We were out there today, getting everyone together, trying to get the chemistry going.

On the team:
I love it. I love it. I thought we had a good team last year, but this year with a couple of additions to the team, I think we have a good shot at it. J. Kidd, Kobe and Chauncey all bring us some veteran leadership. We're loving it.

Chauncey Billups
On the first practice:
Today was great. We came out and competed hard. We went from zero to sixty really fast. We know that there's a lot at stake. It's not like we can turn the switch on and off when we want to. We need to keep it on and I thought we did a good job of competing today.

On the focus in practice:
We want to work on some cohesiveness. We want to give guys a chance to work with and know one another. It will be a challenge, but I think we have the right people to get it done. If we play really, really hard, I think we will be the best. I really believe that.

On the team:
I love it. I really do. I think we've got a great group of veterans and young guys. Everybody is putting their ego aside and we're just trying to win. And when you do that you put yourself in a good place to win.

Kobe Bryant
On today's practice:
First practice you really want to work on getting your rhythm together and it was a great practice today. Every thing we are doing we are doing with a purpose. I think we built a lot of rhythm and chemistry. It was a great start. We want to continue to get better.

On the team:
Yes, we had a little chance to play together in mini-camp last month. Our timing is much better-timing on cuts, timing on passes. Today was the first day this year that I played with LeBron, Jason, Melo and Amare at the same time and I thought we just clicked instantly so that was very encouraging.

On winning a gold medal:
There's a lot of work to be done. It's a long road ahead. There are a lot of competitive teams out there and they are going to be ready to play. We have to work hard and try to get ourselves in the best possible condition to win the games. We have to be ready. We practiced really hard today. We will be ready.

On playing for USA Basketball:
It's exciting, very exciting. I've been waiting for this for a while. To have a chance to represent our country is a very special moment and I am looking forward to representing our country to the best of our abilities.

Nick Collison
On the first day:
I thought it went pretty well. A little ragged I guess, not too bad though. I think for the most part, guys try and be good teammates. If someone's open, they pass it. If they're open they shoot it. Seems like everyone is making good choices right now. I think it's probably always like this the first day. The key is sustaining it, but I thought it was a good first day.

On his focus:
I just want to do the things I'm capable of and not try and do too much. I think I can help the team by screening, rebounding, playing defense, particularly pick-and-rolls and help defense. If I'm open I'll try and make the shot, but I think my opportunity to make the team is doing those other things. I'm not going to be here trying to score or take guys one-on-one. It's not what I do, especially with the level of talent on the court. I think I can help in other ways.

On the first day:
Everything I had heard as an outsider, it sounded like this group of guys is really doing a good job trying to be good teammates, and that's what it was. It wasn't surprising, but it was a good day.

On his prior USA Basketball experience:
Like I said, it always seems to be good the first day. But I know the 2002 team I practiced with didn't seem to have the right mix of guys maybe. I couldn't really tell it at the time because I was a college kid. I was wide-eyed playing with NBA guys, but in hindsight, they didn't really move the ball as well. Then in ‘03, it was great. This feels more like ‘03 where guys are sharing the ball and moving.

Dwight Howard
On today's practice:
It was good. We're trying to get our legs back, get our timing together, have some fun and keep improving as a team. We put in a couple more offensive plays, but we focused a lot on our defense. It's the first day and we will keep working harder.

On the style of international basketball:
Oh yeah, it's a totally different style. We're trying to get used to it. We have to learn to play their game. Our game is very different. Once we learn to play the different style to the best of our ability, we should be very competitive.

On the team:
We have an awesome team. We have a great lineup of guards and small forwards and some great bigs. We can become a great team.

LeBron James
On today's practice:
I think it went well. I think we still have some creases to fill out, of course, but it was the first day and we are off to a great start. We know it's the real deal now. We were here a few weeks ago, but there's more urgency now. We're trying to get re-acquainted with everybody, get to know each other's moves and needs and get a common feel. We know it's real now so we have to prepare ourselves to get ready to play.

On the team:
I think it's a pretty good team. We have a core of young guys and experienced guys, guys who can run the floor, guys who can pass and make plays and guys who can shoot. I'm really excited about this team.

Jason Kidd
On the first day:
It feels good to be back with the guys. It seems like we were just together, but to get back and get some of the rust off and play five-on-five, it's exciting. Everybody's hungry, and everybody is competing. The first day went well.

On the feeling of training:
I think we are all anxious, so with that, we're all excited. We just want to get better. But with getting better, we don't have much time, so we have to take every day serious. We are all out here competing, and we're working together. That's the big thing.

Tayshaun Prince
On today's practice:
Today went well. The first day is always the toughest to get back into the swing of things. We put our sets back in and added a few new ones. As far as the scrimmage went, the young guys tested us, played good solid D and played aggressive, made us work and that is what we are going to need throughout this week.

We worked on a lot of defense-zone, obviously, our man pick and roll defense, but at the same time we tried to throw our offensive plays in and try to get a feel for how different guys can play certain positions and learning the plays from different positions because a lot of guys can play different positions.

On having time to form cohesive team:
That's always the question that is up in the air for any team. A lot of the international teams have been together for a lot of quality time, spending time together and playing together. We only have a certain amount of time, but I think that with the group we have here and with our coaching staff I think that this week will give us the time to prepare the right way and we have the right staff and the right players to get it done.

On the team:
I like it a lot because you've got guys who can play several positions, you've got guys who can post up, move out on the perimeter, you've got some good shooters, you've got Jason and Chauncey running the point and Deron Williams is doing an unbelievable job here as well. So we have some great depth at all the positions and hopefully that will help us out throughout the tournament.

Amaré Stoudamire
On being back in camp:
The first day went well. Personally, it was a push-through day for me. I had to push through a little fatigue, but that's what training camp is all about.

I like the team we have. Everyone is getting along and we are doing what it takes to be a great team.

On today's practice:
We worked on everything-defense, offense. We worked on zone, man-to-man defense, pretty much went through everything.

On the international game:
It's definitely a lot different from the NBA game and what we are used to. But we have a week of training camp and we should be ready by the first game

Again Coach K is not a great coach...I always had my doubts at Duke but this is ridiculous..

Guess you feel defense doesnt matter anymore with that lineup...We can just run and outscore every1...no matter how much teams will slow it down, or how much they outrebound us...

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 08-16-2007 at 11:36 AM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #33
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Recap of Thursday's practice

the guy that writes the blog for nba.com is cool..If you have any questions about certain players and how they are practicing you can ask him and he'll answer

Quote:
For the first half of practice Thursday, Team USA worked on facing zone defense. First, they split between guards and bigs, with the guards working on dribble penetration and the bigs working on finding the gaps in the zone as well as high-low action.

Then they got together and went up and down the floor a bit, still working against the zone.

After that, the Senior Team scrimmaged amongst themselves for ten minutes. They started out with Kevin Durant and Deron Williams joining the starters on the white team, but after some substitutions were made, Chauncey Billups and Dwight Howard ended up playing for both squads.

I missed a couple of buckets, but by my tally, Michael Redd was the leading scorer with eight points, while Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard each had five. The last couple of minutes were a bit of a foul-fest, as the offense was looking to getting to the rack while the D was not giving up any free buckets.

After that, the Select Team was brought in for two more 10-minute scrimmages.

In the first scrimmage, the Senior Team starters along with a few reserves beat the youngsters by a count of 28-16. Kobe Bryant and Howard led the varsity with eight points apiece, while LeBron James added five. Howard had two three-point plays and probably the highlight of the first scrimmage when he grabbed an Andre Iguodala miss and threw a full-court pass to a streaking LeBron for a layup.

Iguodala, Jason Kapono and Jeff Green each had four for the Select squad, who had Devin Harris, J.J. Redick, Iguodala, Al Jefferson and Channing Frye starting. Kapono's four came on two straight catch and shoot jumpers that cut the Senior Team's lead down to 10-9, so when he caught the ball on the following possession, Kobe was right in his grill. Still, the Select Team scored the next bucket to take an 11-10 lead, but the Senior Team then went on a 11-0 run.

In the second scrimmage, the Senior Team bench defeated the Select Team 31-21. It was raining threes as Mike Miller connected on four from downtown (for 12 points), Michael Redd hit three (adding another jumper to total 11) and Deron Williams hit a 27-footer at the buzzer. The highlight of the second ten minutes was a huge block from Tyson Chandler on Channing Frye.

After the Select Team started the game with a three, the varsity went on a 17-0 run. They stayed hot, but they may have got a little jump-shot happy. Before Williams' buzzer-beater ended the afternoon, the youngsters were on a 9-2 run.

Afterwards, Redd (who was today's MVP) admitted that his team can't stay on the perimeter.

"We understand that we can't get jump-shot happy," he said. "That's a big point of emphasis. Penetrate. Get them in foul trouble, and it will open up everything else."
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
steadyfast96
Serious playground baller

steadyfast96 has an OK reputation so far

Since when did US Virgin Islands have thier own team and why is it seperate from the US team? And why does Tim Duncan play for the US team when Raja Bell plays for the Virgin Islands? Someone? Anybody?
steadyfast96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #35
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

The Virgin Islands is property of the United States Government, but it is not one of the 50 states. So therefore Duncan played for Team USA and sat the Virgin Island games out. Raja Bell plays for them because he'd never be asked to the Senior Team from America. Could you imagine the tension in the locker room with him and Bean?
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 PM   #36
steadyfast96
Serious playground baller

steadyfast96 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
The Virgin Islands is property of the United States Government, but it is not one of the 50 states. So therefore Duncan played for Team USA and sat the Virgin Island games out. Raja Bell plays for them because he'd never be asked to the Senior Team from America. Could you imagine the tension in the locker room with him and Bean?

So they could play for either team (assuming if they get selected in Raja's case)?

Plus, I don't think there will be a problem if Raja was on the National squad. They could pretend to get along for the greater good. We all know how fake Kobe can get too. Next thing you know, they'll be chopping it up and laughing on the sidelines like they were best friends.
steadyfast96 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: