Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Pro Hockey Vs Pro Hoops: Why is Violence seen Differently?

i am not a hockey fan. i couldnt name a single player in the league now

i am an avid nba fan and have seen the evolution of how the league handles fights over the years. in the 70s, justice for most of the violence was left to the players on the court. there were many fights and "payback" elbows/knockdowns in the key.

that all changed after the rudy t/ kermit washington punch.

let's speculate:

oday, why is violence seemingly almost celebrated in hockey while violence in the nba is seen as a type of threat to society?

what place does race play in it all?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Pro Hockey Vs Pro Hoops: Why is Violence seen Differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
i am not a hockey fan. i couldnt name a single player in the league now

i am an avid nba fan and have seen the evolution of how the league handles fights over the years. in the 70s, justice for most of the violence was left to the players on the court. there were many fights and "payback" elbows/knockdowns in the key.

that all changed after the rudy t/ kermit washington punch.

let's speculate:

oday, why is violence seemingly almost celebrated in hockey while violence in the nba is seen as a type of threat to society?

what place does race play in it all?

Tell that to Todd Burtuzzi.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Hockey is an inherently violent game... Isn't fighting allowed to some extent?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Simple, basketball doesn't allow you to use any contact anymore basically to defend, while in Hockey, fighting is a part of the game to an extent. Fights in hockey occur a lot, and it goes until one player hits the ice[any part of his body], but both players face a 5 minute penalty, with both the teams going 4-on-4 until a score. Goalies don't count in the 4-on-4.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

5 minute majors for fighting don't result in 4 on 4 hockey. Any coincidental minor or major penalty results in 5 on 5 hockey.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think most people go to hockey games to see a fight anyway. The media people always jumps at the oppurtunity to call the NBA "a bunch of thugs", which they are not.

The lead has gotten pretty soft, so people also think that way. An elbow these days will get you ejected, at the worst (and very easily).

Race plays a big part in this also. Many hockey players are what? White. So the media portrays them as "friendly,good people" Whilst, the majority of the NBA is black (last I checked). They are portrayed as "Selfish,Thugs" anytime something bad happens.

I, myself, would call hockey players "thugs", for fighting all the time. It's a discrace to call that a sport. The point of a sport is to compete, not fight every 30 seconds.

Also, Hockey players have protection, but they can still get seriously injured. Basketball players have no protection at all, therefore is seen as a boxing match, and un-sportsman like. But hockey is much more violent. That's the point of where it doesn't make sense.

Fights in basketball rarely happen, but in hockey it's pretty much every game. The media turns the tables, and makes the NBA look worse, by blowing it out of porportion.
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar
I think most people go to hockey games to see a fight anyway. The media people always jumps at the oppurtunity to call the NBA "a bunch of thugs", which they are not.

The lead has gotten pretty soft, so people also think that way. An elbow these days will get you ejected, at the worst (and very easily).

Race plays a big part in this also. Many hockey players are what? White. So the media portrays them as "friendly,good people" Whilst, the majority of the NBA is black (last I checked). They are portrayed as "Selfish,Thugs" anytime something bad happens.

I, myself, would call hockey players "thugs", for fighting all the time. It's a discrace to call that a sport. The point of a sport is to compete, not fight every 30 seconds.

Also, Hockey players have protection, but they can still get seriously injured. Basketball players have no protection at all, therefore is seen as a boxing match, and un-sportsman like. But hockey is much more violent. That's the point of where it doesn't make sense.

Fights in basketball rarely happen, but in hockey it's pretty much every game. The media turns the tables, and makes the NBA look worse, by blowing it out of porportion.

There's at most 1-2 fights per game unless there's a brawl, which happens about 5 times per year.

If you're going to give your opinion, please base it on fact.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

I think it is due to the fans.

In the NBA, unlike any other sport, the fans are allowed to sit on the playing court with no barrier in between. Violence can and does spill into the seats. that is why the Detroit brawl was seen in a different light than any other NBA fight.

That fight, IMO, changed everything. In the 80s and 90s, there were still fights/altercations at a much greater clip, and it wasn't really frowned upon.

Only over the past couple years, once it involved players vs fans...that's a whole new level.

Fans and players are generally great, but a couple bad apples (like Artest and people from Detroit) can't be controlled.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

I don't think they are even two fights a game average...two at most....

It's the audience Hockey fans are prepared to see a fight and violence...they are in fact waiting for it...basketball fans by enlarge are not....

Race factors in in how it is covered and spun by the media...but the way fans themselves see it....isn't based on race much at all......if it was so many white people wouldn't come out to watch us darkies bounce a ball in the first place.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hockey, baseball, and even racing recently have had more fights/brawls than the NBA but basketball is said to have the image problem. Every few days some pair of racers are smacking eachother up after the race. Throwing tantrums. Jump kicking the opposing car(that was classic). Hockey fights go down every week. baseball games have bench(or whatever they call where they sit) clearing incidenct every couple weeks. Like 3 in one game last week. Guys getting thrown at to get revenge for **** months ago.

The NBA has less fights than just about any major american sport.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
jackjohnson
Banned

jackjohnson has an OK reputation so far

I can't wait for this to turn into another discussion about racism and how everyone hates blacks.

we should start a thread instead making fun of every goofy white guy in the nba because you know no one here will object to that
jackjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Well first in Hockey they are wearing lots of gear and the the NHL allows fighting to attract fans that like it. Doesn't make it any better though. In Hockey there is also a lot of contact in the game and that sparks up fights a lot more than NBA games, because too much contact means a foul.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

I agree with Phar that the padding and protection limit the perception of violence. Afterall, the NFL in an intensely physical game, and hard hits are generally common, and the public is used to physical play with protection.

Hockey is a violent sport, and when fights to happen, the gloves come off, but the rest of the player is still protected by pads. Most of the time the helmets come off too, but it's nothing like the NBA.

The NBA just has athletes in clothing like the guys wear on the playground in pickup games. I think fights in the NBA have the perception of a man-on-man streetfight, in contrast to the other sports with protection, where the fans are used to seeing guys take a beating.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you think people mainly go to hockey games to see a fight your opinion on this subject is worthless. Sorry to be harsh but its simply not the case.

BTW, if you combine the TV ratings from Canada with the US ratings, NHL does better than the NBA. Pathetic considering Canada only has 30 million people to the USAs 300 million. Don't whine and say thats not how TV rating work either. It perfectly legit to do this. When you see the totals for a movies domestic take, they combine the US and Canada. You may as well do that w/TV viewership.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
If you think people mainly go to hockey games to see a fight your opinion on this subject is worthless. Sorry to be harsh but its simply not the case.

BTW, if you combine the TV ratings from Canada with the US ratings, NHL does better than the NBA. Pathetic considering Canada only has 30 million people to the USAs 300 million. Don't whine and say thats not how TV rating work either. It perfectly legit to do this. When you see the totals for a movies domestic take, they combine the US and Canada. You may as well do that w/TV viewership.
Who were you replying to?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: