Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pro Hockey Vs Pro Hoops: Why is Violence seen Differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos

That was a sucker punch though, and he drove his head into the ice after Moore was already unconscious. And like I said in my first post. He was condemned for that more than any black baller has.

He said no one was ever hurt? Why are you talking about race? I am one of the few people that think it was basically a tragic accident but the guy he took out was dirty and the hit he put on a star player was as malicious and dangerous...So I am not sure how this response is directed or what it's supposed to denote????

Quote:
As for one reason fighting in hockey is more accetpable. Hockey went from killing people with their sticks (literally) to what we see today. Basketball went from white kids dry humping each other to what we see today. You tell me which sport has gone in the right direction relative to where they were.

Pucks killed people too.....but that's not accurate much more violent things like Kermit destroying Rudy Tomanovich have happened in the NBA's past.

Quote:
His point is correct even though it has nothing to do with the arguement...although it would if someone brings up the common arguement that no one watches hockey so people don't care.

Remember when Cuban admitted that HNIC (hockey's version of Thursday's TNT double header) outdraws said TNT's double header. That's for all of NA.

Um you mean more people in Canada watch HNIC....than people total in U.S and Canada watch TNT thursdays...or you mean percentages?
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Um you mean more people in Canada watch HNIC....than people total in U.S and Canada watch TNT thursdays...or you mean percentages?

its more people in Canada watch hockey on any given night than people watch the NBA in the US and Canada combined. If you did it percentage wise the NHL blows the NBA out of the water.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #33
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
He said no one was ever hurt? Why are you talking about race? I am one of the few people that think it was basically a tragic accident but the guy he took out was dirty and the hit he put on a star player was as malicious and dangerous...So I am not sure how this response is directed or what it's supposed to denote????

Pucks killed people too.....but that's not accurate much more violent things like Kermit destroying Rudy Tomanovich have happened in the NBA's past.

More people in NA watch HNIC than people in NA watch TNT Thursday.

Quote:

I don't know what you mean in the top half.

I will agree that Moore deserved something for his hit on Naslund, but he got more than he deserved.

Quote:

I was saying hockey is viewed in a better light because it's actually toned down a lot relative to where it was before. I don't know if you misread my comment or not cause this quote makes no sense again.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #34
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
its more people in Canada watch hockey on any given night than people watch the NBA in the US and Canada combined. If you did it percentage wise the NHL blows the NBA out of the water.
this can not be true...

the NHL is so close to losing money that there was a holdout...television ratings are the biggest factor n how much money a league makes...

the NBA has been on a steady decline since Jordan left yet they still produce more income than the NHL...that would not be the case if the NHL had a larger fan base than the NBA...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #35
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
this can not be true...

the NHL is so close to losing money that there was a holdout...television ratings are the biggest factor n how much money a league makes...

the NBA has been on a steady decline since Jordan left yet they still produce more income than the NHL...that would not be the case if the NHL had a larger fan base than the NBA...

It's actually a fact. Sorry to break it to you.

And the NHL is increasing it's earning each year since the lockout. Well over 1 billion dollars. One major reason is the increased ticket prices. I remember one analyst calling it a false profit because while attendance slightly went down this year, profits went up.

I actually read an article on espn.com today about how hockey franchises are selling well over their market value because investors believe they can make loads of cash over time. ie. TB's owner sold his team for I believe more than double of what he bought it for.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #36
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
this can not be true...

Unfortunately it is.

Quote:

The NHL is doing quite fine now actually now that they have restructured the money issues. Most teams turned a profit this year Also, I think attendance is far more important than TV rights. Ever notice they black out NFL games that are not sold out? They do that b/c they needs butts in the seats.

Quote:

thats not necessarily true at all.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #37
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm

More people watch basketball globally (cause there's more than the U.S. and Canada in the world) than any sport outside of soccer.

And more people attend NBA games than NHL games, which is a direct source of income for 41+ games as well.

Good teams probably make two million dollars per home game, if not more. (22,000 seats x $45 a seat (its probably even higher)) is close to a million on tickets alone. Everyone know they make hand over fist on drinks, parking, merchandise ect.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #38
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
More people watch basketball globally (cause there's more than the U.S. and Canada in the world) than any sport outside of soccer.

And more people attend NBA games than NHL games, which is a direct source of income for 41+ games as well.

Good teams probably make two million dollars per home game, if not more. (22,000 seats x $45 a seat (its probably even higher)) is close to a million on tickets alone. Everyone know they make hand over fist on drinks, parking ect.

I don't believe his comment had anything to do with which sports league was making a bigger profit.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #39
KWALI
erudite

Quote:
this can not be true...

I believe it becuz everyone in Canada watches Hockey everyone...in an hour sports show in the summer 20 minutes of a canadaian broadcast are devoted to hockey. B4 there was a Candain NBA team there was virtually no way to watch NBA ball without a satelite or pay channels meanwhile there were at least four five hockey games on tv.....the strike got the NBA on Candian TV's but still CURLING beats it CURLING...I don't even know anyone who curls but it always beats NBA ratings...funny as hell lotta old people in Canada
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #40
KWALI
erudite

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos

[

I don't know what you mean in the top half.

I will agree that Moore deserved something for his hit on Naslund, but he got more than he deserved.

I mentioned Todd becuz he said no one ever gets hurt in Hockey altercations.....really Moore *****ed up when he saw a bruiser and Ran and Todd chased him but it was supposed to be a fight. You knew this. It's happened b4 too..I mean McCSorely twice....some other guys too. Fact is people get hurt in Hockey altercations...skates or no....then you respond to me about Todd being vilified as much or more than any black player in the NBA...while that maybe true in Canadian media (not really) I never mentioned race so I was asking why you were?

Understood?

Quote:
I was saying hockey is viewed in a better light because it's actually toned down a lot relative to where it was before. I don't know if you misread my comment or not cause this quote makes no sense again.

I didn't misread anything..you said something about white guys humping each other(slightly odd) talking about the NBA's and pro ball's past.....I am notifying you that the NBA's past is a lot more violent than it's present. You seem unaware.....
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #41
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar

well I was talking NHL vs NBA so who watches more globally is irrelevant. Besides, the overall cost of playing hockey vs basketball is what fuels that more than anything.

Quote:

the more important # to look at is % of capacity filled per game. I'm not into this enough to actually look that up.

Quote:
Good teams probably make two million dollars per home game, if not more. (22,000 seats x $45 a seat (its probably even higher)) is close to a million on tickets alone. Everyone know they make hand over fist on drinks, parking, merchandise ect.

Yes, the Hawks do that every night...

Really the point of bringing up the NHL vs NBA ratings is more to show the failure of Stern to properly grow the sport. The NBA has had a MUCH larger audience to work with for years and years yet it still has made little overall headway. Its really not even to the level of MLB even though its constantly shot itself in the foot the past 20 years.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #42
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I didn't misread anything..you said something about white guys humping each other(slightly odd) talking about the NBA's and pro ball's past.....I am notifying you that the NBA's past is a lot more violent than it's present. You seem unaware.....

James Naismith disagrees.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #43
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

The NHL is earning more revune now than in the past because the Canadian dollar has risen to almost equal to the US dollar whereas in about 2002 it was at .64 cents or so.

The Canadian NHL teams are the ones driving the growth, a lot of the US franchises especailly in non-traditional markets like Nashville and Florida are struggling badly.

The NBA is no where close to as popular as it was with the Jordan Bulls at the helm but overall it's still bigger than the NHL easily. The NBA for starters actually has a TV contract and is on ABC, ESPN, and another deal on top of that with TNT/TBS. The NBA is also growing in Canada, especailly if the Raptors become a perrenial playoff team and with Steve Nash winning two MVPs.

Next year, CBC (Canada's national broadcaster) will begin airing Toronto Raptors games for the first time in their history.

As for why is the violence seen differently ... perhaps race does play a part (I'm not naive enough to say "no way"). But hockey is also a contact sport, so players getting into scrums is not a big deal, just like it's not that big of a deal in the NFL either if there's pushing/shoving or even a fight that breaks out after a play.

Last edited by Soundwave : 08-13-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #44
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
As for why is the violence seen differently ... perhaps race does play a part (I'm not naive enough to say "no way"). But hockey is also a contact sport, so players getting into scrums is not a big deal, just like it's not that big of a deal in the NFL either if there's pushing/shoving or even a fight that breaks out after a play.
as for the violence, there may be many factors. But I am positive that the #1 factor is the fact that they are wearing skates and are unable to do any real damage...

I would bet my life that if they were not on ice and wearing sneakers that fighting would be completely out of the question...

IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE ON SKATES PEOPLE...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #45
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
The NHL is earning more revune now than in the past because the Canadian dollar has risen to almost equal to the US dollar whereas in about 2002 it was at .64 cents or so.

The Canadian NHL teams are the ones driving the growth, a lot of the US franchises especailly in non-traditional markets like Nashville and Florida are struggling badly.

The NBA is no where close to as popular as it was with the Jordan Bulls at the helm but overall it's still bigger than the NHL easily. The NBA for starters actually has a TV contract and is on ABC, ESPN, and another deal on top of that with TNT/TBS. The NBA is also growing in Canada, especailly if the Raptors become a perrenial playoff team and with Steve Nash winning two MVPs.

Next year, CBC (Canada's national broadcaster) will begin airing Toronto Raptors games for the first time in their history.

Canada has more than one national broadcaster.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: