Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #31
joe lucky
Decent playground baller

joe lucky has an OK reputation so far

Hotel California is a song about a mental institution up north on the way to Santa Barbara. Henley apparently spent some time there and the lyrics were based on his attempts to get better ("you can check out any time you want...but you can never leave").
Actually that institution has been made into a college...Channel Islands or something a former co-worker of mine told me this.

btw "Best of My Love" = best Eagles song
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #32
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That's not true.

Glenn Fry, who co-wrote the song, is on record saying it's about cocaine addiction and LA culture at the time.

It may or may not have additional meaning, but it is about addiction and LA culture.

Last edited by DeuceWallaces : 07-15-2006 at 01:12 PM.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #33
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

These aren't the best songs of all time...just some really good songs.

MF Doom-Doomsday
The Doors-The End
De La Soul-Eye Know
ATCQ-Award Tour
Bear vs Shark-Bloodgiver
Broken Social Scene-Stars and Sons
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #34
PureElement
Local High School Star

PureElement has an OK reputation so far

Holy shyt and I thought it was about an actual hotel. lol jk.
PureElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #35
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
It's about drug addiction and is a critique of L.A. culture in the 70's.

Quote:
On the surface, the song is a tale of a weary traveler who becomes trapped in a nightmarish hotel that at first appeared tempting; as a metaphor the song may be commenting on drug addiction or simply the decadent lifestyle the hugely successful band had been caught up in.
-wikipedia

soo... yeah. drugs. "decadent lifestyle," in the '70s, in california, if you're a really popular rock band, basically means drugs and groupies who do drugs and parties with club drugs.

But I always viewed as a song about drug addiction, cause I wasn't alive in California in the '70s, but I know drug addicts, and the whole "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 07-15-2006 at 01:36 PM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #36
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Best song thread and nye a mention of the Beatles and the 2 greatest songwriters of all time. Come on people.

Fool on a Hill
Penny Lane
Help
Dear Prudence
Think for Yourself
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Mr. Mustard
Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #37
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
-wikipedia

soo... yeah. drugs. "decadent lifestyle," in the '70s, in california, if you're a really popular rock band, basically means drugs and groupies.

I'm just going by what the guy who co-wrote it said.

It boils down to drugs and LA life.

Trying to give it more credit than "drugs and groupies."
Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #38
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

IT makes sense actually if u listen to the lyrics.

"I called the captain to bring me my wine and said We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"

I dont know exactly what that means but it may mean they have something way harder of a drug or something
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #39
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

Neil Young-Cowgirl In The Sand
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #40
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Harvest Moon and O-H-I-O are my favorite Neil Young songs.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #41
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

Southern Man is a great Neil Young song.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #42
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Aye, he's a great songwriter. Nice harmonic direction and most his songs are of cultural and political significance.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #43
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of BasketBall
Its hard to pick the best song of all time. But I'll throw out a song that craps on everything mentioned so far

Prince "Purple Rain"
"1999" is Prince's best song -- way, way better than the over-dramatized "Purple Rain" -- and in my opinion, the best song of all-time.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #44
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

Candy Shop by 50 Cent, definitely a classic right there. Rivalled only by something by Kelis, yes. Can't forget that Laffy Taffy either.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #45
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Best song thread and nye a mention of the Beatles and the 2 greatest songwriters of all time. Come on people.

Fool on a Hill
Penny Lane
Help
Dear Prudence
Think for Yourself
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Mr. Mustard

i prefer i'm looking through you, i'm only sleeping, sexy sadie, she came in through the bathroom window.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: