Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far
Question Sonics officially leaving Seattle?

has anybody heard any news lately on whether or not the Seattle Sonics and Storm will be re-locating or staying in Seattle? Just curious, because I find it weird that they were so willing to give up both Ray Allen and not re-sign Rashard Lewis, just making it clearer that they probably will begin the 2007-2008 season as the OKC Sonics.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Sonics officially leaving Seattle?

From what I understand they still have atleast 1 or 2 more years in Seattle because of a lease the Sonics signed a while back or something. I think it's bullshit though that they're leaving. From what I've seen the Sonics fans have been good to that team. I know that OKC supported the Hornets well but it's nothing the Sonics fans haven't done. The new owners just seem to want to move the team because they're from OKC but I think everyone knows that's NOT best for the Sonics. If something like this happens with the Kings I'd be pissed as hell. IMO Clay Bennett is a piece of garbage who can go to hell.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Young HkM is considered somewhat coolYoung HkM is considered somewhat cool

October 31st -- Date to remember.

Bennett said if there isn't some type of agreement reached by then he would begin taking the steps necessary to move the team. Recently one of the minority owners in his investment group said that Bennett actually never wanted to keep the team in Seattle.

Bennett will try to buy out of the lease so they can move after the 07-07 season, but it's not gonna happen. This lease runs for 3 more years. Mayor Nickels said that if Bennett is just triyng to meet with him (the Mayor) in order to negotiate a buyout rather than try to solve the arena issue, the mayor said it wouldn't even be worth the trip to his office.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default yes--- the Sonics unofficially are leaving Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
...begin the 2007-2008 season as the OKC Sonics.

seeing the highlight above just hurts me...

the steps have been taken since day one for a move. i should join my not as hardcore sonic fan friends and just distance myself from the club.

but my loyalty to the sonics just wont let me yet
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: yes--- the Sonics unofficially are leaving Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
seeing the highlight above just hurts me...

the steps have been taken since day one for a move. i should join my not as hardcore sonic fan friends and just distance myself from the club.

but my loyalty to the sonics just wont let me yet

Why are they moving the team? Are they really not making money there? Are they trying to get a new arena? What's the REAL reason?

I think I said this before in one of your threads. I really HOPE they don't move, because I don't want to see Seattle get an expansion team. There's too many teams in the league already. It's really very watered down.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

Quote:
Why are they moving the team? Are they really not making money there? Are they trying to get a new arena? What's the REAL reason?

Like Ranier said, the plan was to move the sonics from day one of purchase. Bennett and his group are from OKC. they want to bring a team there, so they have no intention of keeping the sonics in seattle.

he is asking for a new arena so if the city says no, he can say that was the reason for the move...but if the city agrees to give him a new arena he will most likely come up with another excuse like tax relief or something outlandish to justify another reason to move.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I really HOPE they don't move, because I don't want to see Seattle get an expansion team. There's too many teams in the league already. It's really very watered down.
The growth of the number of ppl playing basketball and playing at earlier ages has much more than kept up with the number of expansion teams. I think by watered down you mean "my team has less chance to win"
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
The growth of the number of ppl playing basketball and playing at earlier ages has much more than kept up with the number of expansion teams. I think by watered down you mean "my team has less chance to win"

Uhm. NO. I mean exactly what I said. There are too many teams.

If you removed the Raptors, Grizzlies, and Bobcats from the league, the most recent expansion teams, just by removing those three teams, you'd cut 36-45 scrubs out of the league, and all the good players from those three teams, Bosch, Felton, Okafor, Gasol, etc. would be playing for another NBA team, combining superstars.

If you go back even further and take out the Hornets, Heat, and Magic (which actually, at least in the Heat and Magic case, these were good expansions, because of big markets), you would cut 72-90 scrubs out of the league by taking out those 6 teams.

Mathius
Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
Like Ranier said, the plan was to move the sonics from day one of purchase. Bennett and his group are from OKC. they want to bring a team there, so they have no intention of keeping the sonics in seattle.

he is asking for a new arena so if the city says no, he can say that was the reason for the move...but if the city agrees to give him a new arena he will most likely come up with another excuse like tax relief or something outlandish to justify another reason to move.

Is this something that Stern (or the NBA league offices anyways) can control, or no? Does he just sit back and wait for it to get moved, or does he have to approve the move?

It's one thing for ownership to change hands, but the Sonics are still part of the league, and therefore subject to its rules. If there is an NBA rule, or a way that the executives could intercede and prevent the move, then by moving the team against NBA rules, the owners would effectively take the Sonics out of the NBA period, yes?

Mathius
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

ehh,OKC Sonics

just give OKC a damn expansion team and let the Sonics stay in Seattle

The NBA is just as good adding a team every decade or so,when the Bobcats came into existence there was no major change
@ Scrubs

Phuck Quality of Play,the real season starts in the playoffs
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Phuck Quality of Play,the real season starts in the playoffs

I hope you're joking. The playoffs were awful the last 2 years, especially the Finals last year.

Mathius
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
kobeisgod
I brick open layups

kobeisgod has an OK reputation so far

what the **** does okalahoma need with a franchise anyway? whats next nebraska
kobeisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #13
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Is this something that Stern (or the NBA league offices anyways) can control, or no? Does he just sit back and wait for it to get moved, or does he have to approve the move?

It's one thing for ownership to change hands, but the Sonics are still part of the league, and therefore subject to its rules. If there is an NBA rule, or a way that the executives could intercede and prevent the move, then by moving the team against NBA rules, the owners would effectively take the Sonics out of the NBA period, yes?

Mathius

of course stern and the nba would prefer that the sonics stay in seattle. but they are not going to bail them out with any $$$ for a new arena

bennett owns the team and if he doesnt get what he wants, renegotiates with the city on a buyout for the last part of the contract, gets the other owners to back him: the sonics can very well be out of seattle after this year
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I hope you're joking. The playoffs were awful the last 2 years, especially the Finals last year.

Mathius

Last 2 years? The Playoffs were incredible in 06. 07, it was kinda bad after the 1st round, but the playoffs in 06 was great, especially in the 2nd round. Games were intense, 3 of 4 series in the 2nd round went to 7 games.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #15
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeisgod
what the **** does okalahoma need with a franchise anyway? whats next nebraska

I'm guessing you just became a basketball fan yesterday. Oklahoma did great with the Hornets.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: