Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Patrick Ewing vs David Robinson

Most people would say Robinson is better but I always thought Ewing was and here is why.

People always argue that Patrick has never won an NBA championship but if John Starks gets off that 3 in game 6 people might not have that argument. Even though Patrick didn't have the best series he still took a team without another star to game 7 of the finals. Robinson never even reached the finals without Duncan either. While as far as skills it is very close with david clearly having the superior athletisism Ewing was a better leader. What do you think?
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Default Re: Patrick Ewing vs David Robinson

this is like the 10th "ewing vs Drob" thread iv seen...

moral of the thread usually go's Drob was better, and i agree...

Ewing was great, but Drob was a better defender, and scorer than ewing, so even if ewing was a better "leader" it still wouldnt be able to outweigh Drob's advantages on him...

Ewing was one of my favourite players...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

Patrick Ewing was a superior player on both ends of the floor, I don't care about stats. Prime Ewing is just plai nmore valuable than Robinson who couldn't outduel anybody. Ewing matched up very wel lwoth a prime Hakeem Olajuwon, wel las well as anyone could.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Stats, awards, honors, and rings all go in favor of David.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Shep
Decent college freshman

robinson easily
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

This isn't that close for me. Maybe I'm bias and I admit I'm more likely to argue for calling D-Rob a top 10 big man, while arguing against putting Ewing as a top 15 big, so maybe I'm biased.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

There wasn't a huge gap between these two, but it's still clear who was the better player.

The awards and honors make it clear:
Robinson has an MVP while Ewing has only finished as high as 4th in MVP voting. Robinson was perenially selected over Ewing for the All-NBA Teams and the All-Defensive Teams. Robinson was Defensive Player of the Year, and Ewing never made an All-Defensive 1st Team.

Thier head-to-head matchups make it clear:
Robison's team won 12 out of 19 games.
Statistically it was close, but Robinson was clearly either a bit better at scoring or a bit better at defense, or maybe a bit of both.
Robinson averaged 23.2 PPG with a .506 FG%, 9.3 RPG and 2.8 BPG.
Ewing averaged 19.8 PPG with a .434 FG%, 10.4 RPG and 2.6 BPG.

Of course, Robinson also has 2 championships under his belt, while Ewing has none.

Anyhow, it's close, but it's clear. The seperation between Olajuwon from these two, or O'Neal from these two, is much greater.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
John Starks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551

People always argue that Patrick has never won an NBA championship but if John Starks gets off that 3 in game 6 people might not have that argument. Even though Patrick didn't have the best series he still took a team without another star to game 7 of the finals.

Hakeem fouled Starks on that 3. In those days, that call does not get made. Imagine, the same play except Wade taking it and Nowitzki jumping out. Is there any way, the KNicks don't get the call and the ft's? Any chance of it? That happens and then Ewing beat Hakeem in the Finlas and maybe we DO put Ewing ahead of D.Rob.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
KWALI
erudite

O and people like to forget Starks is the reason why their was a game seven I am pretty sure he was on fire to close game 6...sure the Knicks often forgot who their best player is but he was partly to blame for that sometimes.

Also The D-Rob came into the L after Ewing and had the youthful legs to take advantage where most centers couldn't of slowed down Ewing. Blaze was saying well the Knicks won more in the mid ninties and that's when Ewing was better but it's patently false...not only was he better b4 the dream team he was definitely Robinson's equal then...

His knees just wore out...he took two of his patented moves out of his game and became a much more reticent shot blocker..and against the best he was at a major disadvantage and it showed everytme he matched up against D-Rob- Hakeem and SHAQ 1992 onward....but the guy who was drafted number 1 five years b4 would only have had problem with SHAQ if he had his knees......but Hakeem had loads a problems with SHAQ too

I think SHAQ and Ostertag shortened Hakeem career...:)

But D-Rob was a better stat stuffer but possesed less actual scoring skill hios only asset over Ewing was passing...Ewing was way late at picking up being a good passer.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Patrick Ewing

After 96' Robinson slowly declined from Superior C to Duncan's post buddy

Ewing was Superior for longer
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Why do people still use the championship argument? Do people think Robert Horry > both of them combined??

The question of who's better is much more subjective than people think. If I were starting a team, I think either one would be a fantastic choice to start a franchise with, but neither can do it alone.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

i think it's closer than people realize and may actually be more dependent on the surrounding players than anything else.

robinson was more talented without a doubt. but his best game was a face up game. he could blast by pretty much any center that would guard him and shoot right over most pfs. he had post skills, but his major advantage came in his faceup game. that's great except that it doesn't really create a lot for the rest of your team.

think of the difference between amare's impact and shaq's impact. shaq draws all that attention on the catch (or used to) and makes 1 dimensional offensive players like horry, fisher, and fox into starters on a championship team. amare scores his own points or doesn't. nobody else is improved by his offense except maybe offensive rebounders.

and it's not the same as a guard facing up, because if a guard draws attention outside of the paint, he creates a ton of space for cutters at the rim. when a face up center does it he's usually too close to the rim to use those sorts of advantages (no real space opens up). robinson was a great high low passer, but he didn't exactly get guys open using that skills so much as hit them in good position to make moves.

patrick played more of the traditional back to the basket roll most of the time, though he did involve himself too much in the pick and pop game as he got older (and even in his prime). when he occupied the post and drew attention, he got open shots and created easy iso situations for his teammates. when he played pick and pop ball, he didn't.

anyway if i had to pick one or the other to build a team around i would take robinson because he's more athletic and little more versatile, but if i had a star perimeter scorer already i might prefer ewing, who was better at getting his teammates open imo.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
KWALI
erudite

What is talent?

David Robinson was not more skilled at anything but passing..and I am not sire whether that was willingness or ability.and he was more athletic due to Ewing's knees going creaky and him entering the L after Ewing. At his top Ewing was a scary an athlete as either D-rob or Hakeem...

That's what I dont understnd it is OBVIOUS how much Patrick Ewings athletcism declined yet people use match-ups from them to compare the two/////when all things were even and they were both at their top physical best D-Robs athletcism advantage disappears...

D-Howard is D-Robinson...That's him...That video made his ball handling look better than it usually was

It's like comapring SHAQ and D-Robinson after 1998 and saying well SHAQ was a better athlete...ofcourse he was once D-Rob slowed down..

But whateva
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: