Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #91
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Default Re: GOAT PF : Duncan or K Malone

duncan never had to go against the prime jordan and the dynasty bulls
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #92
John Starks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono90
duncan never had to go against the prime jordan and the dynasty bulls

Malone only did it twice. How do you explain the other 17 years without a title
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #93
Fuhqueue
Pick and rofl offence

To start with, I'll make it clear I think Duncan is better than Malone. Too dominant on both offence and defence, great leadership, passing, improves his team-mates, fundamentally flawless post play..even discounting accomplishments, his game is better than Malone's.

But when we examine achievements, it's important to remember Duncan has been extremely fortunate in his career path. The Spurs were already a 55+ win team when he came into the league. They bombed a season where Robinson and Elliot were sidelined, lucked out in the draft and Duncan fell into their hands. Would he be so highly-regarded if he'd been drafted onto a perpetual losing team like KG was? Would he have a ring? (not saying KG's as good, just making a point) The Spurs have maintained their success since then with smart acquisitions, front office moves and coaching, so of course it's not all pure luck. But it's undeniable Duncan had massive good fortune being brought into a strong, playoff-bound team already. The Bulls dynasty ending was a help too, sure. That's life, that's basketball, true. But he hasn't faced the hindrances that most HOF talents will, everything came together very early in his career.

But in the same way Malone was very lucky to be drafted with a guy who'd end up being the best assister ever, and enjoy him throwing points at him for two decades. Would his offensive output be so impressive without Stockton on the floor every night? Would Duncan find it hard to put up those numbers if he had an all-time great PG on the perimeter his whole career? How many rings would Duncan have in that case?
Fuhqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #94
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

What is exactly is so funny Loki, if it wasn't for that collapse Portland would have beaten one of the greatest teams ever assembled in a best of 7, without the home court.

You don't think they would have given a challenge to Chicago?
By your logic Lakers of 2000 couldn't have beaten Chicago either? Whatever.
I guess what I said was somehow untrue and was worth a laugh. :rollingeyes:
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #95
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
by your logic, that means, Duncan's Spurs were never defeated by your team lakers?

What you fail to comprehend is I'm not mentioning the Lakers, because they beat plenty of good teams like Sacramento, Portland, Indiana and even SA was a worthy opponent.

I'm comparing the obstacles Malone had to overcome to win rings to the opponents Duncan faced in his championship years...why do you persist on mentioning the Lakers when they have no bargaining on this discussion at all?

I guess I should somehow clear it up, my Lakers didn't face an opponent quite as tough as the Bulls...so Shaquille & Kobe had it easier then Malone as well, happy? Which is off track but I guess that's what you were after?

The best opponent SA had to beat in their championship years were Detroit, Phoenix, Lakers (Past Their Prime), Young Portland team...not like it was easy because I fully respect what SA has done, to me they are a dynasty...but I'm simply defending Malone just a little bit because he faced stiffer competition in his days then Duncan has and I doubt if their careers were reversed...that Duncan would have won these same 4 championships, I doubt he'd win more then 2.

To me Duncan is like Hakeem with more rings, both are extremely talented players...both are in my top 10 of All-Time, Malone is probably around 15th best all-time.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #96
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

My god Los Angeles, I've read your posts and I have to say wow.

How can you even say Portland was right there with Chicago of the two three-peat eras. LOL

First off, what addition from 1999 gave them that incredible leap of talent? You know, the 1999 Portland Trailblazers that were swept in the playoffs by the San Antonio Spurs?

Also, how is it that the Lakers are not prime in 1999 but primed in 2000 and continue to be primed for 2001 and 2002 but suddenly drop from their prime in 2003. How convient, a nice little three summer peak-fest.

I see you forget to mention the fact that the Spurs, due to a Duncan injury that kept him in street clothes, were knocked out of the first round meaning the "in their 2000 prime" Lakers never faced the Spurs. Hmmmm, nice omission.
Wonder Bread Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #97
Mr. A
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Duncan>Malone. The fools arguing in such a idiotic thread should be ashamed of their mentally weak selves.
Mr. A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #98
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
My god Los Angeles, I've read your posts and I have to say wow.

All I had to do was read your location to figure why you were so appalled, I answered every single question you asked in your post already and I'm not going to duplicate it again.

Portland of 98 didn't lack the talent, they lacked experience and leadership...not only did they add those two crucial aspects to their team by adding Scottie Pippen, they also added Steve Smith who was their starting shooting guard.

Quote:
Also, how is it that the Lakers are not prime in 1999 but primed in 2000 and continue to be primed for 2001 and 2002 but suddenly drop from their prime in 2003. How convient, a nice little three summer peak-fest.

Nothing to do with convenience, it has everything to do with chemistry, Kobe's progress and Phil Jackson...in 2003 Shaquille had knee problems as I stated previously and I never said Los Angeles beat a prime San Antonio team every year they won a championship, I simply stated Duncan never won a championship where he had to beat a team as good as Chicago. I don't think Los Angeles faced a team quite as talented as Chicago either but I do believe they faced a much stiffer competition then San Antonio has in their title runs.

Quote:
I see you forget to mention the fact that the Spurs, due to a Duncan injury that kept him in street clothes, were knocked out of the first round meaning the "in their 2000 prime" Lakers never faced the Spurs. Hmmmm, nice omission.

Maybe if you kept track of what I was talking about in the first place you would notice I didn't "omit" anything.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #99
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Malone...I consider Duncan a center.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #100
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

What the hell? Why was this thread resurrected? Do people not read what's actually been discussed on the thread first before posting? This should've been settled already if people actually read what was in the thread instead of going round and round.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #101
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Barkley is closer to Malone than Malone is to Duncan.

Take that for what it's worth.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #102
TheHonestTruth
Banned

Duncan. The reason? He never sold out his soul to play for the ****ing Fakers.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #104
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
That's a terrible reason. Malone is much better than Duncan at every aspect of the offensive game. Malone should have a few rings but never got one dew to playing the most difficult opponent in NBA history.

Malone > Duncan

1. I see you suddenly lost about 120 posts, I'm glad you decided to delete them.

2. What took you so long to get banned.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #105
rawimpact
Banned

Malone has a bigger impact on the game. Argue with that statement then you'll see my knee flying towards your chest
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: