Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Player Comparison: Mardy Collins and Francisco Garcia

Recently I've gotten into a debate over the similarities of Francisco Garcia and Mardy Collins.

The issue came up when talking about the possibility of the Knicks making a move for Ron Artest. The feeling was that Garcia and Collins are so similar that swapping them would be a wash.

So what's your feeling on this comparison? Are Garcia and Collins similar players?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Player Comparison: Mardy Collins and Francisco Garcia

Are you serious, or just plain ignorant? I called them similar players, and you say they're not even remotely similar.

How similar do two players need to be to be considered similar? Both are young, defensive minded, all-around 2 guards, who both have some point guard skills, along with the ability to effectively play the 3. Both are also young players with large upsides. The only thing that differs between them is the fact that Garcia is a better shooter, while Mardy has to score through other means. Mardy also has better playmaking skills. In the end though, both give their two teams similar results, despite their somewhat different styles of play on offense.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Kobe24Bryant
Kids at the park dunk on me

Make this thread into who would you rather have.

I take Collins in a heartbeat. :)

When given enough minutes he can average close to 12/6/6
Kobe24Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24Bryant
When given enough minutes he can average close to 12/6/6
Garcia could do much of the same. I wouldn't put that statline past him either.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Are you serious, or just plain ignorant? I called them similar players, and you say they're not even remotely similar.

How similar do two players need to be to be considered similar? Both are young, defensive minded, all-around 2 guards, who both have some point guard skills, along with the ability to effectively play the 3. Both are also young players with large upsides. The only thing that differs between them is the fact that Garcia is a better shooter, while Mardy has to score through other means. Mardy also has better playmaking skills. In the end though, both give their two teams similar results, despite their somewhat different styles of play on offense.
May I suggest you ABORT this train of thought before you get embarassed?

The way these 2 guys play is not even remotely similar. To put it into terms of players you know (I'm assuming, if you think Garcia and Collins are the same player there's 50/50 odds you've never watched an NBA game in your life)... You're basically saying that Reggie Miller and Magic Johnson are the exact same player.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Garcia could do much of the same. I wouldn't put that statline past him either.
6 assists?

I think the odds of Garcia averaging 6 steals in the NBA are about equal.

And about Mardy Collins, I really like him. I'd give him the starting PG job on the Wizards in half a heartbeat.

He's way more valuable than Garcia because Garcia plays at an oversaturated position and can't do nearly as much as Collins can. Any team can find a use for Collins. Garcia is a dime a dozen player. Although I do think Sacramento is a dumb spot for him. He and Kevin Martin are too similar. Washington could definitely use a gutsy shooter in our rotation.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 08-14-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
May I suggest you ABORT this train of thought before you get embarassed?

The way these 2 guys play is not even remotely similar. To put it into terms of players you know (I'm assuming, if you think Garcia and Collins are the same player there's 50/50 odds you've never watched an NBA game in your life)... You're basically saying that Reggie Miller and Magic Johnson are the exact same player.

How are they not even remotely similar players? Just explain this to me. The KO King couldn't, and I would like to know how they are not similar AT ALL. Saying Reggie and Magic is a similar comparison to this one doesn't make any sense. Collins and Garcia are similar for the reasons I've already stated. I didn't say they were similar because they both have nearly equal scoring numbers like Reggie and Magic did. I said they were remotely similar players because the similarities between these two FAR outweight their differences. I've already stated my opinion on their playing styles. Players with somewhat different playing skills can still be considered similar players through other factors.

Last edited by otmtheshank : 08-14-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Who?

And I'm guessing the first reply was from the guy dancing hippo was debating with. :)
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

First, let me say I intentionally did not mention OTM by name nor did I make it obvious why way I felt on the issue. I felt to keep things fair and keep the insults to a minimum it would be best just to make it a place for those responding to share their view.

Second, it's not that I couldn't explain why Collins and Garcia aren't alike. I just didn't feel the need to. Here is my very first respone on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
I'm not going to argue about Collins and Garcia being similar.

Call it arrogance but I think the comparison is too ridiculous for me to even debate. I believe if I was to pose the question on the main board those that view it as silly would far outnumber those that agree with you.

Outside of age and size/build there really isn't anything similar between these two guys. Mardy is 6'5" 215 lbs while Francisco is 6'8" 200 lbs; so in reality the size is more me throwing you a bone than it is actually similar between the two.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
How are they not even remotely similar players? Just explain this to me. The KO King couldn't, and I would like to know how they are not similar AT ALL. Saying Reggie and Magic is a similar comparison to this one doesn't make any sense. Collins and Garcia are similar for the reasons I've already stated. I didn't say they were similar because they both have nearly equal scoring numbers like Reggie and Magic did. I said they were remotely similar players because the similarities between these two FAR outweight their differences. I've already stated my opinion on their playing styles. Players with somewhat different playing skills can still be considered similar players through other factors.
stop it. you're coming off like that guy in the town square who is 100% convinced that the world is going to end next Tuesday and that we should all repent.

Mardy Collins and Francisco Garcia are about as different as 2 basketball players can be. that's just the way it is. Nobody's going to waste their time explaining something this basic to someone who won't listen. Watch them yourself. At least, read a paragraph of an article, or some sort of brief sumary, anything, get at least a cursory knowledge of how a player plays and what he does on the court before you go basing your reputation on saying they're identical players.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Mardy Collins is a poor mans Andre Miller

Fransisco Garcia is a poor mans Richard Jefferson

Considering Garcia had less playing time last year than his rookie season and he is allready 26 years old, I wouldn't count on a lot from him as far as a career goes. With big minutes he could put up respectable stats, but he's a role player.

Collins is a nice PG that would excel on a team like the Nuggets/Celtics/Wizards. Basically any team that would ask him to make good passes and not shoot unless he had too. He has good size for the PG position and is an above average defender. Most likely a career backup(he is still only 23 years old), but one of those guys that allways seems to catch on somewhere.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmtheshank

You make that chick look brilliant.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Why are you pulling words out of my mouth saying they're identical players. I disagreed with Da KO King and said they were somewhat similar players. I respect Ko King's opinion, but Geewiz, you're just not comprehending what I'm saying. When comparing players you don't need to watch millions of games of them to compare them. I've watched plenty of games of Cisco during his days at Louisville. I've only seen a limited amount of Mardy play, but being a Knicks' fan, I still watched him play many times over the course of his rookie season. The fact is, these two players are "Remotely Similar players. Unless you have a different formula for calculating how similar things are, if so, I'd like to hear it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain

You make that chick look brilliant.

Coming from the person saying hockey players are the least athletic athletes in the world, I doubt you could even answer that correctly.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmtheshank
Coming from the person saying hockey players are the least athletic athletes in the world, I doubt you could even answer that correctly.
They aren't? You're Canadian so I'll let it go since it's your National "sport".
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: