Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Player Comparison: Mardy Collins and Francisco Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
They aren't? You're Canadian so I'll let it go since it's your National "sport".

Me being Canadian has nothing to do with anything. I stopped playing hockey when I was 12 years old. Just play a 2 minute penalty kill shift, and tell me you don't need to be athletic to play hockey.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Well I've seen a lot more of Francisco cause of his Nat'l televised Louisville games, but I'd say they're different players. Francisco is one of those do it all, but not well enough to really make him anything special type players. Lamar Odom without as good of handles. Nice player to have coming off the bench, maybe starting in an offensively-heavy team, and wouldn't be a liability...but he couldn't create his own offense and his shot falls in a every other game fashion. Very coachable kid. He's like a Delonte West like player. Like what he gives you, but always want more and don't see him as a solution.

Mardy, from what I've seen, mostly bits and clips, is more offensive minded. He has great handles and seems to have a nice touch. Very tough kid too, and like Francisco, seems coachable. But like I said, I've seen a lot more of Francisco than Mardy.

If I were to choose between them? I would have to look at personnel.. But if I had to decide between starting Mardy at the 2 and Francisco at the 3, I'd choose Francisco.

Last edited by wang4three : 08-14-2007 at 01:40 PM.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Phenith has decent reputationPhenith has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmtheshank
Me being Canadian has nothing to do with anything. I stopped playing hockey when I was 12 years old. Just play a 2 minute penalty kill shift, and tell me you don't need to be athletic to play hockey.

I am Canadian and I would say that hockey players are athetes, but not highly athletic(i'm not saying there isn't highly athletic guys in hockey, it's just not a pre requisite to be good at the game). Hockey is a skill game, players don't get playing time based on potential like in the NBA, you get playing time in the NHL by being skilled, not by being a great athlete with potential. You don't hear about hockey IQ because it's plain and simple, if you don't know what you are doing on the ice, you will never make it to the NHL.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that comparing Hockey players to Basketball players is dumb. It's a totally different game and it's virtually impossible to compare players cross sport.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

I hope the guys disagreeing with what I said can understand what I'm saying now. I said Mardy and Cisco were remotely similar players. Geewiz compared Cisco to Reggie. The poster above me compared him to Richard Jefferson. Someone else said Lamar Odom. If you're saying my comparison is terrible, then what exactly do you have to say about those other comparisons?

Last edited by otmtheshank : 08-14-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I hope the guys disagreeing with what I said can understand what I'm saying now. I said Mardy and Cisco were remotely similar players. Geewiz compared Cisco to Reggie. The poster above me compared him to Richard Jefferson. Someone else said Lamar Odom. If you're saying my comparison is terrible, then what exactly do you have to say about those other comparisons?

I guess you're really good at cutting out clauses.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Geewiz... Garcia is not like Reggie Miller at all. That is probably the worst comparison I've ever seen for him.

He's actually a lot like Doug Christie IMO. He's kind of athletic and he's an all around player. He plays some very good perimeter D(2nd best defender on the Kings), he handles the ball pretty well, good passer, good at getting steals, and he's good at getting blocks too for a SF. In his last 5 games of the season where he finally started getting PT he averaged like 16/6/3/1/1. He's a pretty good shooter but he's kind of streaky and he gives a lot of effort. Yeah he's 25 years old but he hasn't gotten all that much PT so I think he can still get better. I think if Artest is traded he'll put up like 13/5/4. A lot of people don't know his game but I've watched nearly every NBA game he's played.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #22
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Geewiz... Garcia is not like Reggie Miller at all. That is probably the worst comparison I've ever seen for him.

He's actually a lot like Doug Christie IMO. He's kind of athletic and he's an all around player. He plays some very good perimeter D(2nd best defender on the Kings), he handles the ball pretty well, good passer, good at getting steals, and he's good at getting blocks too for a SF. In his last 5 games of the season where he finally started getting PT he averaged like 16/6/3/1/1. He's a pretty good shooter but he's kind of streaky and he gives a lot of effort. Yeah he's 25 years old but he hasn't gotten all that much PT so I think he can still get better. I think if Artest is traded he'll put up like 13/5/4. A lot of people don't know his game but I've watched nearly every NBA game he's played.

I agree. I remember everyone thinking during his first year in Louisville that he was going to be a lights-out shooter like Reggie, maybe not as prolific of a scorer, but still a sharpshooter with great range, and a rapid release. But he really worked hard to improve into a well-rounded player during his tenure at Louisville, and the Reggie Miller comparisons gradually went down the drain. I even recall one game against DePaul(I'm pretty sure it was DePaul) where he was a couple steals away from a 5x5. Cisco also had such great hustle/work ethic for a star player. I had high hopes for him.(I also had very high hopes for Reece Gaines though, and everyone knows how Gaines' NBA career went .)

In the games I've watched him play for the Kings, he still tends to settle for low percentage shots when no oppurtunities are opening up for him. But as he matures as a player, his shot selection will improve.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I agree. I remember everyone thinking during his first year in Louisville that he was going to be a lights-out shooter like Reggie, maybe not as prolific of a scorer, but still a sharpshooter with great range, and a rapid release. But he really worked hard to improve into a well-rounded player during his tenure at Louisville, and the Reggie Miller comparisons gradually went down the drain. I even recall one game against DePaul(I'm pretty sure it was DePaul) where he was a couple steals away from a 5x5. Cisco also had such great hustle/work ethic for a star player. I had high hopes for him.(I also had very high hopes for Reece Gaines though, and everyone knows how Gaines' NBA career went .)

In the games I've watched him play for the Kings, he still tends to settle for low percentage shots when no oppurtunities are opening up for him. But as he matures as a player, his shot selection will improve.

Yeah I think if Artest is traded he has a shot at MIP. He has a lot of skills and people don't realize it.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #24
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

LAZYBOY has an OK reputation so far

Wow! Most of you guys must have never watched Garcia play, these comparisons are not accurate at all. BM52 and BBB are the only two not blowing chunks out of their asses on this one.
LAZYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: