Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default My picks for USA

I was looking at the Team USA roster and noticed a few role players and got really excited.

HYPOTHETICAL:
Of the guys on the list, granted not all are still going to play, which would you choose as the most sucessful starting 5 on the world stage?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...A-Roster-Page1
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...A-Roster-Page2

I would go with

Kidd
Bryant
Battier
Stoudemire
Chandler
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: My picks for USA

Jason Kidd
Kobe Bryant
Bowen/Battier/Prince for Defense OR LeBron/Paul Pierce/'Melo for Offence
Amare Stoudemire
Dwight Howard

The SF position was the hardest to fill, because it can vary widely based on whether you lean towards offense or defense.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Darkess has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I was looking at the Team USA roster and noticed a few role players and got really excited.

HYPOTHETICAL:
Of the guys on the list, granted not all are still going to play, which would you choose as the most sucessful starting 5 on the world stage?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...A-Roster-Page1

I would go with

Kidd
Bryant
Battier
Stoudemire
Chandler

Chandler? We'd be in trouble.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Quote:
Those are two of the worst players on the roster. Pick just about anybody over them.

I'd want my SF to be someone who didn't need the ball in his hands and who provides defense, intangibles, and hustle plays, and who is the epitome of a team player. Battier is all of that and more. Lebron and Carmelo are exactly what the team DOESN'T need, IMO.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
imlmf
Banned

imlmf has decent reputationimlmf has decent reputation

didn't battier get cut from the roster?

if hes still on it wouldn't surprise me if he starts
imlmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Lebron23
Banned

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Team USA 2008

Starting 5

C- Chris Bosh
F- Amare Stoudemire
F- Carmelo Anthony
G- Kobe Bryant
G- Jason Kidd

Off the bench

C- Dwight Howard
F- Kevin Durant
F- Lebron James
G- Michael Redd
G- Deron Williams

F- Carlos Boozer
F- Mike Miller

Reserve

G- JJ Reddick
C- Tyson Chandler

Well, Balance lineup and bringing back the GOLD in 2008.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

The idea wasn't to make an all star team. I belive you need role players to make a sucessful team.

Kidd is willing to set others up and is effective without scoring
Kobe is the best scorer on the list
Battier is a great defender and an outside shooter
Stoudemire is a good post presence and is fast enough to stick with any international guy
Chandler can block shots.

I may swith Howard in for Center. My thinking with chandler was that he is willing to play a small but important role. Howard can do his thing as an accessory to the offense also, getting a lot of putbacks. But the height might help Chandler against a lot of the Z. Ilgauskas style centers.

Last edited by luigi>mario : 08-14-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlmf
didn't battier get cut from the roster?

if hes still on it wouldn't surprise me if he starts

hypothetical picks from the roster.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Kidd
Kobe
Melo
Amare
Dwight

Kobe and Melo will take care of offense, cover up the unselfishness of kidd and the weak offense of Dwight (not meaning dwight s**ks in offense, but he has no jumper)

Defense and rebound- we have Kidd, Kobe, Amare, and Dwight which are all good defenders... and i think everyone on that list are good rebounders

Decision making- we have captain kidd

Stretching the defense- Melo and Kobe can stretch it big time

Clutchness in crucial moments- Kobe and Melo
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
The idea wasn't to make an all star team. I belive you need role players to make a sucessful team.

Kidd is willing to set others up and is effective without scoring
Kobe is the best scorer on the list
Battier is a great defender and an outside shooter
Stoudemire is a good post presence and is fast enough to stick with any international guy
Chandler can block shots.

I may swith Howard in for Center. My thinking with chandler was that he is willing to play a small but important role. Howard can do his thing as an accessory to the offense also, getting a lot of putbacks.
The theory that you need role players doesn't work on this kind of team. You need star players that can play roles. Unfortunately, in this era of basketball where everyone is arrogant and selfish and absolutely NOT about winning, you won't find many of those players. The '92 Dream Team was about as unselfish as any superstar-filled team could be. They need to watch some clips of that squad play.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

batty pulled out with hinrich recently http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2972841

I dont think chandler would be a bad fit at all. Itd be nice to have two actual centers on the team (with Howard able to play the 4 as well). Remember the duncan and odom as the 4-5 debacle from a couple of years ago. terrible. Also, at some point the swingman position is so overloaded that they will have to cut one of the offensively focused individuals to make sure prince (or batt but not anymore) is available for D (not sold on melo or brons d just yet).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
batty pulled out with hinrich recently http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2972841

hypothetical.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Lebron23
Banned

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Shane Battier will not do good in international competition another overrated Defender. Just because Battier is good in college doesn't mean he will be good in a much tougher international competition.

Beside most International players are really good in international ball and most of them have a chance to make it in the NBA. They are no longer crappy athletes unlike in the early to mid 1990's cause they are really catching up to the americans.

Antonio Fotsis, Larry Ayuso those guys can really play ball and not some ordinary joe thrown in the competition.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-14-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Shane Battier will not do good in international competition another overrated Defender. Just because Battier is good in college doesn't mean he will be good in a much tougher international competition.

I think he is a good defender. I wonder if the international refs will still let him get those charge calls? Otherwise he has proven he can shoot and play within his bounds.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23

Are you an idiot? Shane was one of our best players during the 06 Worlds. Our best defender in the perimeter and post, as well as one of our top three point shooter. Go learn something before you spout off ignorant nonsense.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: