Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: My picks for USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
What I'm suggesting is a team of

Kidd/Williams/Billups
Bryant/Redd
Prince/Battier/Miller
Boozer/Brand
Stoudemire/Howard/Chandler

Not all those guys are available but this is the kind of team we should be putting together. And that team would destroy your all LeBron team 10 times out of 10.
that looks like a winner. i might include melo too because from his latest interviews he seems to have wised up, and he would give a second "take over" option if kobe's shot was off in one game. and i agree that if duncan and garnett aren't options then boozer and brand are where it's at. you could probably use lebron too if you played more of a shooter / defender at the point. you'd just really need to get him to play his best defense on every possession.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #32
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Quote:
i agree that if duncan and garnett aren't options then boozer and brand are where it's at.

Yeah I'm just thinking in regards to younger PFs. Not sure Duncan or KG will ever play internationally again. Need the offseason to heal, rest.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #33
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Kidd
Lebron
Carmelo
Bosh
Howard
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #34
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
Chandler? We'd be in trouble.
Chandler is a Tremendous Athlete as well as An amazing Rebounder and Blocker

Was Gilbert Arenas invited?
if he was i'd start him @ PG
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #35
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Forgot about Bosh. Throw him in the PF mix, too.

Hey, this was my 1,000th post. Yay me.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #36
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Yeah I'm just thinking in regards to younger PFs. Not sure Duncan or KG will ever play internationally again. Need the offseason to heal, rest.
if i recall, timmy said he would never do it again because of the fiba offiating. he just hated the constant doubles and all the holding that goes on under the basket, and - i'm not trying to be a xenophobe so feel free to disagree with me on this - it does seem that american / nba players tend to get the wrong end of a lot of close calls in international competition - so it may have just felt too physical and lopsided to him. i think that you're 100% correct with kg, and it is about commitment to the nba and not overdoing it in the offseason.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Forgot about Bosh. Throw him in the PF mix, too.

Hey, this was my 1,000th post. Yay me.
go caker! i've been meaning to ask what that is in your avatar. biggus diccuss, maybe?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #38
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Chandler is a Tremendous Athlete as well as An amazing Rebounder and Blocker

Gilbert would be a disaster at PG. He was invited in 2006, couldn't hit a shot or lead the team at point during the exhibition games, then chickened out of any more national team duties this year or next year.

What advantages does Gilbert bring to the lineup at all?
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #39
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
Gilbert would be a disaster at PG. He was invited in 2006, couldn't hit a shot or lead the team at point during the exhibition games, then chickened out of any more national team duties this year or next year.

What advantages does Gilbert bring to the lineup at all?
:rollingeyes:
Hes the best American PG in the NBA,is that enough

Also hes a damn scoring machine who can take over a game
Old 08-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #40
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
:rollingeyes:
Hes the best American PG in the NBA

Here's an opportunity to learn something:

Gilbert is the prime example of a one on one star whos game can't translate well to the FIBA type. The key here, is that if you watched him playing last year on the National Team, you would have seen that he was not only a terrible point guard, but he also could not hit his shots, nor did he understand anything about offball movement. Top that off with a chickening out of further Team USA duties and what do you have? The epitome of everything Team USA doesn't need.

Let me ask you again: What advantages, if any, does Gilbert bring to the lineup when you already have Kobe, Melo, Stoudemire, Bosh, and a slew of role players who can knock down the open shot, defend, hustle, and adapt far better than Gilbert.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #41
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

i think the competition has gotten a lot better if you notice how many little white guys are on the floor. Also that a lot of them just back out of the way because they don't want to get hurt by the huge bohemians of the '92 dream team. But here's the top 10 plays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9oXs...elated&search=
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #42
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Quote:
No, it is the fact that teams get lucky during a one-game series that cost the USA their dominance in international play.

You're the only person I've seen that is still attributing it to luck. The Consensus is that it is a combination of too many "me" guys and, above all else, not enough time to prepare and practice together.

Quote:
Fill in a USA roster of the 5 most selfish, whiny ballhogs who can put up 25 ppg+ and they will crush any international team during an 82 game season. What do I mean by crush? 60 wins at worst.

That's pretty much what we've been doing for the last seven years. And we've been losing to teams with better unity, cohesiveness, and teamwork.

Quote:
At least I know with LeBron that he will always produce more giving 5% effort than Battier ever will at 110%.

Depends on your definition of production. Points? Yes. Defense, teamwork, hustle? Probably not. And Battier won't take shots away from better shooters. I don't care how good LeBron is. If we are down three with 5 seconds left, I'd rather have a guy like Miller or Battier take a wide shot than LeBron. And LeBron would probably be easy to guard in that situation because you know he's not giving that sh!t up.

Quote:
The bolded three can be replaced by LeBron alone, and it would make the team much better.

LeBron can't replace Tay's defense and intangibles, and he can't replace Miller's three point shooting. And that's the reason those guys are on the team in the first place. So I guess LeBron alone can't replace those guys.

Quote:
if i recall, timmy said he would never do it again because of the fiba offiating. he just hated the constant doubles and all the holding that goes on under the basket, and - i'm not trying to be a xenophobe so feel free to disagree with me on this - it does seem that american / nba players tend to get the wrong end of a lot of close calls in international competition - so it may have just felt too physical and lopsided to him. i think that you're 100% correct with kg, and it is about commitment to the nba and not overdoing it in the offseason.

I agree completely.

Quote:
i've been meaning to ask what that is in your avatar. biggus diccuss, maybe?

It is indeed the Biggus Dickus scene. Probably my favorite scene from my favorite comedy of all time. Still can't watch it without cracking up.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #43
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
Here's an opportunity to learn something:

Gilbert is the prime example of a one on one star whos game can't translate well to the FIBA type. The key here, is that if you watched him playing last year on the National Team, you would have seen that he was not only a terrible point guard, but he also could not hit his shots, nor did he understand anything about offball movement. Top that off with a chickening out of further Team USA duties and what do you have? The epitome of everything Team USA doesn't need.

Let me ask you again: What advantages, if any, does Gilbert bring to the lineup when you already have Kobe, Melo, Stoudemire, Bosh, and a slew of role players who can knock down the open shot, defend, hustle, and adapt far better than Gilbert.
I never said anything about FIBA basketball,i just said he's the best american PG and hes a ****ing monster on the court

Kobe fits a FIBA system?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #44
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
I never said anything about FIBA basketball,i just said he's the best american PG and hes a ****ing monster on the court

Kobe fits a FIBA system?

Idiot. This is your own post:

Quote:

And Kobe fits a hell of a lot better than Gilbert, given that Kobe has a tremendously better mid-range game and defender.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #45
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Quote:
Hes the best American PG in the NBA,is that enough

But he plays too much like a SG. If you want Arenas, fine, but he should not take a roster sport from pure PGs like Kidd, Williams, Billups, etc.

Quote:
Also hes a damn scoring machine who can take over a game

Already have one of those with Bryant. Too many guys that want to take over when the going gets tight is the problem.

Scoring is not everything, nor is it a problem with this team. We have enough players that can fill it up; we need instead to focus on the other components of the game which have been problems on our teams in the last few years.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: