Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default if Dice starts, what happens to your bench?

not to mention how will the defense work without an anchor? people wont be afraid to drive past Chauncey, Hamilton, and Tayshaun anymore
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

My money is on Dale Davis eventually being the starter, who is a pretty good anchor, better than what most teams have, but Dyess and Sheed aren't exactly bad defensively either.

As for the bench, we have these three super talented guys, who haven't gotten the playing time yet, but who will be forced to play more than likely this season. Amir Johnson (this kid is going to be a star), Jason Maxiell (a total beast) and Carlos Delfino (overhyped, but a good slasher nonetheless).

Not to mention Lindsey Hunter, who was one of our best players period in the recent playoffs and we still have the bi-annual exception available to sign someone.

Teams weren't exactly scared to drive past Chauncey and Rip last season either, teams made a living in the paint against us, and we still won 64 games, I don't see much changing. Sure we won't win 64 games, but that is mostly because the team learned that overexerting yourself in the regular season is no way to win a championship.
embersyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
The Real GM
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The Real GM has an OK reputation so far

What are you guys talking about? "Rashweed" will start with Mohammed underneath. Mohammed wasn't recently signed for nothing. "Dyess" will still be the sixth man but get more playing time, with Hunter and your young talent. Delfino, Maxiell, and Johnson should definately get major minutes and you will add another shooting guard before the summer is over. The Pistons have been smart this off-season by not over paying for "Big" Ben. They still have good defense underneath and I think can still surely make the 2nd round and maybe even the conference finals, depending on what other Eastern Conference teams do. The Pistons have always had a bench, but they have always received inconsistent minutes and did not have a role description, ecspecially in the playoffs.(besides McDyess and Hunter) The Pistons have a great opportunity to discover "gems" on their own bench, and giving the bench more playing time could be a blessing in disguise.
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
dmenzion
I hit open layups

dmenzion has decent reputation

i still say the pistons go 2nd round playoffs.
dmenzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
PatCummingsFan
I airball my layups

PatCummingsFan has an OK reputation so far

Nazr will give Detroit some offense, but everyone else is going to have to step it up on D to try and offset the loss of big ben, Detroit is not the kind of team to sit around and mope about this

My hunch is Detroit will get through this !
PatCummingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

Dale Davis... isn't he 39 years old? how will he become a full time starter?

the Pistons losing Big Ben just lost their title hopes. "smart not to overpay Big Ben?" what if business suffers for Dumars as the Palace no longer sells out games?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
The Real GM

The Real GM has an OK reputation so far
Exclamation

Good point, but I think they still made the right move. They will have more cap flexibility in the future. Billups can opt out after next season and this will give them more cap to sign him back, who is younger and as a point guard will be even harder to replace. Yes, they wont be a title contender next year, but will be tough 2nd round or Eastern Conference finals opponent. Remember, it's time for the bench to receive consistent, every night playing time. They will be able to see what it's like to play more than two players off the bench. I understand your logic, but would you rather have "Big Ben" or Chauncey who will most likely be cheaper? I would rather have a cheaper Chauncy and a chance to see my youth perform off the bench.
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Nothing, because McDyess wont start. Nazr Mohammed will.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
turdfurgeson

turdfurgeson has an OK reputation so far

Teams weren't exactly scared to drive past Chauncey and Rip last season either, teams made a living in the paint against us, and we still won 64 games, I don't see much changing. Sure we won't win 64 games, but that is mostly because the team learned that overexerting yourself in the regular season is no way to win a championship.[/quote]

Good point. Power forwards had field days against the Pistons last year. And Shaq destroyed Ben in the eastern finals. Some people don't realize how limited Ben is as a one on one defender. The guys the best in the biz at helpside blocks, but one on one, he struggles.

Now that the NBA is calling every slight contact in the paint on drives (even in the playoffs), Ben's value dips a little more.
turdfurgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
alwiap

alwiap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdfurgeson
Now that the NBA is calling every slight contact in the paint on drives (even in the playoffs), Ben's value dips a little more.

couldnt have said it any better imo
alwiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #11
Murph

Murph has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Joe Dumars

We all seem to forget that King Joe has done a pretty good job! All he has said is this team is deeper than last year, and will do well. He has done a good job pulling a rabit out of his hat. Its not over yet. Theres more to come!!!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
Murph

Murph has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
not to mention how will the defense work without an anchor? people wont be afraid to drive past Chauncey, Hamilton, and Tayshaun anymore
They have three choices. Davis, Mohammed, or McDyess. Not bad. Remember the Bulls of the 90's they played Center with three guys!!! None were great defenders.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dyess is starting.

Flip Saunders said it himself. Flip said he expects Dyess to return to All Star form.

You can go to www.mlive.com/pistons and listen to the interview for yourself.

DD and Nazr aren't starting. They'll be defensive substitutions off the bench. Luckily we picked up Murray so he can replace Dyess as the scorer off the bench.

And we still have Rasheed Wallace back there, I think teams will respect him. He can definitely block shots, just not as well from teh weakside as Ben.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: