Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #31
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Non Laker fans - Your stance on Bynum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
right now, Bynum is 11th amongst all centers in rebounds per 48min (minimum of 20 minutes per game).
that's pretty darn good for the youngest in the league.

he is also 3rd in blocked shots per 48min amongst all centers (again, minimum of 20min per game).

perhaps those are the things GMs are seeing in him...and why they want him.
per means nothing. If he scores 10 points in 20 minutes does that mean 25+ in 48? nope. but according to that 48 things it does.

It's more fantasy than having any type of real life relevance
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #32
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

If Bynum ever makes an All-Star game, it'll be similar to when Jamaal Magloire did. Bynum will likely be better than that, but it'll be that kind of scenario.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #33
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

At best, he might be putting up Eddie Curry type numbers IMO.. Something like 19 points 7 boards and 2 blocks..
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #34
awsmori
I brick open layups

awsmori has not been impressing people

i myself am a avid laker fan...however i like most of you dont see bynum developing into his so call potential...but i will be happy just seeing him average around 12/10/2...if ever he does breakout, this upcoming season is the season to breakout, because he had lot of experience last year...and he got thrown out of the bus by kobe, so he's probably motivated by now to prove kobe wrong, and there are reports that bynum has done nothing all summer but workout, that is why i think he didnt play in the summer league, the FO didnt want him to, they were scared that he might still be a bust and teams would be turned off by him and wouldnt take him on trades. But if i were GM i trade this kid in a heartbeat...JO for Bynum, Kwame(9mil), fillers
awsmori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #35
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Bynum has tons of talent, but I think this is the year he shows a consistent glimpse of it or else the Lakers ****ed up big time turning down so many trades for him.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 AM   #36
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

I'm not a Laker fan but I've watched almost every single game Bynum has played in the NBA since I live in the LA area and DV-R Laker and Clipper games regularly.

Pros: Bynum has a VERY good touch around the hoop, he has long long arms and showed excellent passing ability in the first 10 games of the season (after that it disappeared) so he has that ability in him if he can refine it. He will definitely be a player who will have 2-3 go to moves so he shouldn't have trouble making moves once he gets the ball. Although his defense isn't very good, he will continue to block shots....that's what young 7 footers with long arms can do.

Cons: Absolutely no explosiveness whatsoever. He never lowers his shoulder even a little bit to bump his guy before going up. He needs a lot of help learning how to seal out his defender, this makes it hard for him to even post up and receive the ball the traditional way, something that should be easy for a guy with his height and his arm length. He doesn't use his body when he's by the hoop, he goes up like a WNBA player far too often...you'll notice that after his strong start to the season, teams finally got to see some videotape on him and he struggled a lot as the season went on. His basketball instincts don't seen very good as well, but this is kinda expected since he hardly played basketball in high school. Also, his game IQ doesn't impress at all, but the kid is very young. He is horrible at guarding the pick and roll and he is equally poor at setting screens.

IMO, Bynums potential is still pretty good, but he's not really a perennial all star talent at this point. He should turn out to be a rich mans version of BRENDEN HAYWOOD...that's probably the closest comparison you can find.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #37
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force
I'm not a Laker fan but I've watched almost every single game Bynum has played in the NBA since I live in the LA area and DV-R Laker and Clipper games regularly.

Pros: Bynum has a VERY good touch around the hoop, he has long long arms and showed excellent passing ability in the first 10 games of the season (after that it disappeared) so he has that ability in him if he can refine it. He will definitely be a player who will have 2-3 go to moves so he shouldn't have trouble making moves once he gets the ball. Although his defense isn't very good, he will continue to block shots....that's what young 7 footers with long arms can do.

Cons: Absolutely no explosiveness whatsoever. He never lowers his shoulder even a little bit to bump his guy before going up. He needs a lot of help learning how to seal out his defender, this makes it hard for him to even post up and receive the ball the traditional way, something that should be easy for a guy with his height and his arm length. He doesn't use his body when he's by the hoop, he goes up like a WNBA player far too often...you'll notice that after his strong start to the season, teams finally got to see some videotape on him and he struggled a lot as the season went on. His basketball instincts don't seen very good as well, but this is kinda expected since he hardly played basketball in high school. Also, his game IQ doesn't impress at all, but the kid is very young. He is horrible at guarding the pick and roll and he is equally poor at setting screens.

IMO, Bynums potential is still pretty good, but he's not really a perennial all star talent at this point. He should turn out to be a rich mans version of BRENDEN HAYWOOD...that's probably the closest comparison you can find.
So, the Lakers gave up the chance to get JO or Kidd for Brenden Haywood V2. Yikes. I've only watched Bynum play 5 or 6 times and he only played maybe 15 minutes so I won't judge him, but the general consencious seems to be he'll be a border line all-star at best. Still, I don't like the Lakers so i'm not overly upset about the sad state of their team.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #38
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
So, the Lakers gave up the chance to get JO or Kidd for Brenden Haywood V2. Yikes. I've only watched Bynum play 5 or 6 times and he only played maybe 15 minutes so I won't judge him, but the general consencious seems to be he'll be a border line all-star at best. Still, I don't like the Lakers so i'm not overly upset about the sad state of their team.

It wasn't JUST about Bynum. Jason Kidd is getting paid $40 million dollars in the next two seasons. It's amazing when you look at the domino effect of the Shaq trade....putting them in desperate situations and really reaching...then getting stuck with no money saved anyways. lol
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 AM   #39
pinoyballer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

pinoyballer has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
A more lowblock-oriented player with Z Illgauskas at his best's impact.

I agree with that... that is if he works on to improve his game. He did manage to show some flashes of brilliance for a few games (while Kwame & Mihm was out) and he should've continued doing it but he didn't.

Dunno why the Lakers management is so high on him though.
pinoyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #40
JasNuggetsFan73
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JasNuggetsFan73 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyballer
I agree with that... that is if he works on to improve his game. He did manage to show some flashes of brilliance for a few games (while Kwame & Mihm was out) and he should've continued doing it but he didn't.

Dunno why the Lakers management is so high on him though.
yeh i saw those flashes of brilliance but he just stopped doin that...

he had some gd games but he isnt consistant n i think thats wat is gonna hold him back.
JasNuggetsFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #41
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalo
What do you folks think about Bynum and his ceiling?
We had a heated discussion about him on the Lakers forum and some fans even compared him to the likes of Duncan and D. Robinson. I personally think that's RIDICULOUS.

As for his upside, I'd say he's going to become what Kandiman and Magloire should've been...a consistent 15-10 guy with good shotblocking, average man defense and a decent impact.

I was labeled as hata for that prediction.

Also, Laker fans are generally very high on him and so is the Lakers FO. Or just high. Period.

Realistically, what do you guys think? He has good post moves for his age, decent footwork, great size and length however he gets outmatched athletically against a lot of players, Dalembert and Wilcox come to mind...
He also has a nice form on his shot, a good FT shooter and might develop some mid range game.
Defense is work in progress as he's too raw but shotblocking is already good due to his size and length.

Decent player but I can't see him getting more than 15-10 if he pans out.

What do the rest of you think?

I agree 600%.

I don't agree with "Laker Fans". Perhaps you could've said dumb ass Laker fans, like that dude Lakerwarrior.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 AM   #42
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Strengths: A HUGE physical presence. Bynum is a legit 7 footer with great mobility. Offensively Bynum has a small but solid set of post moves, including a very effective baby hook. Although not a prolific shot blocker, Bynum is adept at altering shots and forcing teams to shoot the outside shot. With time he should develop into an excellent shot blocker. The thing to remember here is that players with his size and mobility are a rarity.

Weaknesses: Raw is the word. Offensively, his footwork needs much tooling…he rarely shoots the ball outside of the paint. His size won't allow him to dominate like he did in HS. He could really use a small set jumper or another post move. In addition his passing out of the post is very poor and his understanding of defenses is an area of need...Defensively, he needs to move his feet more and become more active. As a rebounder he needs to learn to get in proper position and not rely on his size and athleticism. Additionally, he must stop picking up silly fouls, especially on the offensive end…Lastly, there have been concerns about his weight and conditioning.

----------------

I personally would like to see him traded for a player that could help the Lakers win now. But his anyone that does not see his potential, needs to honestly watch more Laker games. He has most of the physical components to be an elite center in the NBA, but he needs to work very very hard to accomplish the mental components. Conditioning, Positioning, Recognizing and Understanding what teams are doing against him defensively... all things that can learned and possibly should have been learned in college. Height and Mobility can no be learned; and that is what makes his potential so great.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #43
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Best case scenerio - Jamaal Magloire's all-star season

Worst case scenerio - Olowokandi

He's another player that should have went to college.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #44
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

some lakers fans are downright delusional, but i also think he has all tools to become a great offensive player. he'll never be a defensive juggernaut IMO, but i wouldn't be TOO surprised to see him scoring 20 ppg for two or three peak seasons.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #45
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My stance...

at first i was mystified why they took him, but then he had that great stretch where he played with such confidence, including goading shaq into a technical after dunking on him. He looked total can't miss.

But second half last year he looked anything but, he seemed lazier, too full of himself, and really regressed. He's not that blue chip of a prospect to basically **** up half a year.

So right now i'd say show me, i don't see him becoming a great center unless there is some great improvement soon to show that its coming.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: