Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #16
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Default Re: Kobe's 81 point game on ESPN Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
it wasn't even about him missing shots... every point after 70 was unneccessary and was just padding the stats.

he pulled himself out last time and got blasted for not doing what was"good" for bball...

this time he goes for it and get blasted again....what was he susposed to do??? I think he was actually more on fire in the Dallas game
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #17
YAWN
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Surprised noone is making the claim that they were at the arena that night sitting next to Jack.........
i was. but i dont like to flaunt my celebrity status.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #18
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Kobe was 18-20 from the line that game, not 13-18.
My bad, I read the three point attempts next the the fts made.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #19
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
he pulled himself out last time and got blasted for not doing what was"good" for bball...

this time he goes for it and get blasted again....what was he susposed to do??? I think he was actually more on fire in the Dallas game
The Dallas game he came out 3rd quarter. This game was an actually competition up until the 3 minute mark of the fourth. The game was well in hand, and he already had 70 points which was past MJ's record... what was left to play for?
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 AM   #20
DTD
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
The Dallas game he came out 3rd quarter. This game was an actually competition up until the 3 minute mark of the fourth. The game was well in hand, and he already had 70 points which was past MJ's record... what was left to play for?

Yeah, he should have told his HOF coach to stfu and sit him because message board tools are going to accuse him of stat padding.

...and the Lakers-Raptor game was 97-93 with only 7 minutes left in the game. Anyones game still. Kobe then proceeded to turn into Superman and destroy them from that point on.

Last edited by DTD : 08-15-2007 at 05:08 AM.
DTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #21
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

I was most surprised that Lamar never got a chair and hit Kobe on the head with hit. Kobe just refused to pass that ball.

Nonetheless, it was un****ingbelievable.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

um it was more like every single laker threw the ball to kobe as soon as he reached midcourt.

it was amazing btw. every shot he threw up went it so unbelievably.
I was at school when one of the teachers told me and my friends the news.. we thought he was BSing.. then i went home and was

downloaded it and watched the game in english class next day with my friends in amazement
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #23
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodonpa
um it was more like every single laker threw the ball to kobe as soon as he reached midcourt.

Not entirely... there were a few times he called for it, though the other players seemed more than willing to pass it too him, often times even looking for him.

If this were a game where his teammates were playing well, and he was dominating the ball, inspite of the performance, I would understand the criticism he would get for dominating the ball and I as well would prefer to see him play a team game... but this Laker team went on a stretch with Bryant on the bench where they went something like 1-11... I don't believe Lamar Odom scored until the 3rd quarter of the game. Lol... Any criticism of this game is disingenuous at best, abject "h@ting" at worst. You have a guy who brings your team back from 18 down in one quarter, energizes the team to play great defense, changes the whole atmosphere of a building, and proceeds to chase history, and people are complaining that Smush Parker didn't get his fair share of shot attempts?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #24
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

ah yes, now i remember the game even better.
LAMAR ODOM WAS PATHETIC.
like you said, he didn't score until the 3rd. Then a few chances he got, he drove in, fell and threw up the ball while his back faced the basket

another attempt he got stripped or smth. Everytime he did something my friends and i were at him. We were like whats this bum doing out there.

THERE WAS NO OTHER LAKER WHO COULD PLAY ON THAT DAY.
Kobe did the right thing. He was hot, damn stroked every 3point shot he threw up. If he passed, he would be stupid.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #25
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

Awesome game!! Just got to watch it for the first time yesterday. Though I'm not a Kobe fan, I found myself rooting for him as he single handedly threw his garbage team on his back and dragged them out of the depths.

However, after he broke his career high, I noticed he really started chucking. I mean some of them were horrible, horrible shots. With like 5 min. left, Lakers up 12, he made this ridiculous 3 (amazing because the shot selection was horrible) as he chased Baylor's franchise record. It was downhill from there. My excitement was totally deflated. It was clearly garbage time, neither team playing D, but I understood why Phil left him in. The game was long won, but he wanted him to break Baylor's record. Kobe started looking ridiculously selfish as he called for the ball every time down the floor.

After breaking Baylor's record, which was monumental and great to see, don't get me wrong, Sam Mitchell pulled the starters and unloaded the bench (a little over 3 min left). He had been courteous enough to leave his starters in just long enough for Kobe to break the 71 (though the game was an 18 point blowout), and subbed in the scrubs expecting Phil to pull Kobe for the standing ovation. He waved the white flag as the announcers put it. But Kobe didn't come out. He kept attacking the basket and the garbage time bench, playing half-D, kept hacking him. With 2 min left the announcers said "this game is only about Kobe now" implying that the only reason 10 guys were on the floor was so that Kobe could get as many points as possible. Phil did get the chance to sub Kobe out, with 4 seconds left (!!!), even though the announcers were yelling "he's got to get him out of there!!" for the last minute and a half.

As an NBA fan, I definitely felt dirty after watching the game. Not a classy game by Kobe or Phil. I understand that both wanted Kobe to make history, and he did, and it was awesome. Kobe is hands down the best scorer in the game and I'm not sure if anyone else in the league could do what he did (maybe Gilbert if he's on fire from 3, plus he's selfish enough to pull it off). But I was definitely disappointed watching him actually get the historic 81st point. An amazing game until halfway through the 4th like someone else said. Then it just got painful. It really wasn't basketball after a while.
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #26
laalaa
Original Lakers FAM

I do remember being there, witnessing it live, stupid enough I was drunk like a mother****er and can't remember much. Well, it sure was crazy for the last 9 minutes. Should probably watch the game again sometimes.
laalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #27
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

anybody know how many he hit in a row? the sheer volume is impressive enough, but when he really got hot in the 3rd / 4th he was just drilling them from all over the place. i didn't watch yesterday, so i haven't seen it in a while.

13-18 from 3 is ridiculous. that's a great game from 2 for an all-nba center.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #28
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
anybody know how many he hit in a row? the sheer volume is impressive enough, but when he really got hot in the 3rd / 4th he was just drilling them from all over the place. i didn't watch yesterday, so i haven't seen it in a while.

The most I remember him hitting in a row is 4 or 5... The thing that's most striking is that he would hit 3 or so, miss one, then hit 4, then miss 2, then hit 3. There was once where he missed 3 shots in a row, but it got to the point where I was surprised that he missed as impossible as some of the shots he was taking were...

It's the feeling that I had when I first saw Larry Legend's 60 point game. Like, dag, I'm surprised he missed that falling out of bounds, behind the basket, three... he usually makes those.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #29
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan

Kobe wasn't 13-18 from deep that game, he was 7-13. I think Kobe's best was 12 made 3's, which is an NBA record shared with Donyell Marshall.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
The most I remember him hitting in a row is 4 or 5... The thing that's most striking is that he would hit 3 or so, miss one, then hit 4, then miss 2, then hit 3. There was once where he missed 3 shots in a row, but it got to the point where I was surprised that he missed as impossible as some of the shots he was taking were...

It's the feeling that I had when I first saw Larry Legend's 60 point game. Like, dag, I'm surprised he missed that falling out of bounds, behind the basket, three... he usually makes those.
gotcha. it's funny how the memory patches over those misses as time goes by.

and i know exactly what you mean re: larry. i've said for years now that kobe's got larry bird disease - the insane confidence that he can hit any shot at any time, and he might just try it. it's a confidence that rubs off on the fans when he's hot and makes you think he's going to nail everything.

thanks for the stat-clarification, loki. i'm starting to think you're a robot. or at least a cyborg of some type - plugged directly into the nba statistical database.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: