Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #46
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board
Default Re: Kobe's 81 point game on ESPN Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I think that it would be hard for the current NBA player to surpass Kobe Bryant's 81 Point production. Maybe a healthy Wade can do it once Shaq is retired and the Heat are back into an average team in the Eastern Conference.

The thing that i like about the game of Kobe Bryant is this guy is probably one of the best natural scorers in the game, it might be an off night or a good night for Kobe will definitely score at any given opportunity. The important question is can he translate scoring in winning more games in the regular season?

It reminded me of a young Michael Jordan in his prime was an offensive juggernaut in the 1980's and this does not translate to winning until MJ learn to trust his teammates more so that guys like Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Kerr and later Dennis Rodman can contribute to team success.

Kobe will probably slow down when he turn 32-33 yrs.old and during that time i can visualize him being a veteran role model to his teammate. He will get his teammates involve and passed the torch to a much younger guy.

At the end of his NBA Career casual fans would always remember the remarkable performance, he put up againts the Toronto Raptors by scoring 81 Points in a modern NBA Game.
Wow. Either you plagarized this, or you took some serious english lessons over the summer.

edit: after reading over it again, I see that it is indeed your writing, which has improved.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 PM   #47
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
he had like 60 with less than 5 minutes to go. for the last 5 minutes he took every single laker shot (odom had a 3 but thats it), the game was done and he was throwing **** up.
if that was me i'd break his legs. They trapped him on the baseline and he still threw up a shot even though there were 4 other guys open.

that whole post is factualy inaccurate...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #48
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

At an early point in the game, while Kobe was trying to get his teammates involved, he was shooting a much higher percentage and scoring more on fewer shots than the rest of the team. I don't blame him for taking over, he won the game. This is totally and comletely not a selfish performance. I see nothing wrong with it. If they had lost and his shots were more ill advized/poorer percentage, than I might brand him a ball hog. But his choices were right on this time.

Jordan's performance right after had a few stretches of more selfish ball than Kobe's. I hate the rebound, bring ball up, no pass, drive/shoot. Just like streetballers who average more shot attempts than passes. Jordan had some great passes in the fourth though.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #49
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

nicknamefrank has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisConley
Awesome game!! Just got to watch it for the first time yesterday. Though I'm not a Kobe fan, I found myself rooting for him as he single handedly threw his garbage team on his back and dragged them out of the depths.

However, after he broke his career high, I noticed he really started chucking. I mean some of them were horrible, horrible shots. With like 5 min. left, Lakers up 12, he made this ridiculous 3 (amazing because the shot selection was horrible) as he chased Baylor's franchise record. It was downhill from there. My excitement was totally deflated. It was clearly garbage time, neither team playing D, but I understood why Phil left him in. The game was long won, but he wanted him to break Baylor's record. Kobe started looking ridiculously selfish as he called for the ball every time down the floor.

After breaking Baylor's record, which was monumental and great to see, don't get me wrong, Sam Mitchell pulled the starters and unloaded the bench (a little over 3 min left). He had been courteous enough to leave his starters in just long enough for Kobe to break the 71 (though the game was an 18 point blowout), and subbed in the scrubs expecting Phil to pull Kobe for the standing ovation. He waved the white flag as the announcers put it. But Kobe didn't come out. He kept attacking the basket and the garbage time bench, playing half-D, kept hacking him. With 2 min left the announcers said "this game is only about Kobe now" implying that the only reason 10 guys were on the floor was so that Kobe could get as many points as possible. Phil did get the chance to sub Kobe out, with 4 seconds left (!!!), even though the announcers were yelling "he's got to get him out of there!!" for the last minute and a half.

As an NBA fan, I definitely felt dirty after watching the game. Not a classy game by Kobe or Phil. I understand that both wanted Kobe to make history, and he did, and it was awesome. Kobe is hands down the best scorer in the game and I'm not sure if anyone else in the league could do what he did (maybe Gilbert if he's on fire from 3, plus he's selfish enough to pull it off). But I was definitely disappointed watching him actually get the historic 81st point. An amazing game until halfway through the 4th like someone else said. Then it just got painful. It really wasn't basketball after a while.

So? David robinson got his 71 by his teammates passing the ball to him every time just for him to win the scoring title...who wouldn't want to score as much as you can
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #50
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknamefrank
So? David robinson got his 71 by his teammates passing the ball to him every time just for him to win the scoring title...who wouldn't want to score as much as you can

Or Larry Bird's 60 point game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkqmvyIoHA
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #51
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknamefrank

I'm just saying it wasn't a pretty ending. It was a sloppy garbage time ending with the Toronto bench playing single or weak double coverage of Kobe who called for it every time down. The game was long over and Phil left him in until there was 4 seconds left. What if he hurt himself, which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering he was humiliating and being disrespectful to the other team's bench by even being in the game. If he was playing the Knicks, Isiah would have told Mardy Collins to bust his a$$. I mean everyone knows he should have come out earlier and that it was stupid/selfish for him to be playing. Like I said before, the local announcers were saying that for the last minutue and a half. I guess my point is that though it was an outstanding feat (single greatest scoring performance in history in my mind; Wilt dominated b/c of height not necessarily shooting ability), the end wasn't fun to watch as an NBA fan, which left me disappointed. If you're a Kobe fan, I'm sure you were loving it and didn't care that they were somewhat cheap points given as a gift by Sam Mitchell.

Honestly, that decisive Game 5 where Cleveland beat Detroit in 2OT with LeBron scoring the last 25 points for his team was much more exciting.
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: