Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default State of the Roster

Current Clippers Roster:

42 Elton Brand F 6-8 254 03/11/1979 Duke 8
19 Sam Cassell G 6-3 185 11/18/1969 Florida State 14
40 Paul Davis C 6-11 270 07/21/1984 Michigan State 1
35 Chris Kaman C 7-0 265 04/28/1982 Central Michigan 4
22 Brevin Knight G 5-10 170 11/08/1975 Stanford 10
8 Yaroslav Korolev (FA) F 6-9 203 05/07/1987 Russia 2
14 Shaun Livingston G 6-7 182 09/11/1985 Peoria Central HS (IL) 3
50 Corey Maggette G 6-6 225 11/12/1979 Duke 8
5 Cuttino Mobley G 6-4 215 09/01/1975 Rhode Island 9
21 Josh Powell F 6-9 235 01/25/1983 North Carolina State 2
13 Quinton Ross G 6-6 193 04/30/1981 Southern Methodist 3
2 Tim Thomas F 6-10 240 02/26/1977 Villanova 10
12 Al Thornton F 6-8 220 12/07/1983 Florida State R
34 Aaron Williams C-F 6-9 235 10/02/1971 Xavier (Ohio) 13

Probable Depth Chart:

PG: Sam Cassell | Brevin Knight | Shaun Livingston*
SG: Cuttino Mobley | Quinton Ross | Yaroslav Korolev
SF: Corey Maggette | Al Thornton
PF: Tim Thomas | Josh Powell | Aaron Williams | Elton Brand*
C: Chris Kaman | Paul Davis
* injured

Thoughts:

We currently have 14 under contract. We will almost certainly fill the final void considering we have two starters, both key players on this team, out for an undetermined amount of the season. Both of our IR spots will be filled, so everybody on the roster, not including Brand and Livingston, will dress and be counted on to be ready to perform. We need to fill that last spot. We still have about half of the MLE, about 2.5 Million left to use towards signing free-agents.
One route, one most people perfer, we can take, is signing a fourth PG to fill the void. As if losing Livingston and Brand wasn't bad enough, chances are we will have a few more people go down with less serious injuries for small periods of time throughout the year. We have two PG's currently: Sam Cassell and Brevin Knight. When they're healthy, they should do a fine job performance wise. Knight will ease the pain of losing Livingston significantly. The problem is that they're both getting up there in age, and, knock on wood, will probably both miss a little time throughout the year. A fourth PG would be the best add. Our options include: Jared Jordan, Guillermo Diaz, Will Conroy, and Mike Gansey.
The other option we have is to use the full 2.5 Million and see which big-name FA we can reel in with it. The key to surviving until we get Livingston and Brand back will be depth. We added position depth this off-season, but we haven't added more firepower as far as scoring to the bench.

The last spot needs to be filled. I ask the Clippernation to speak up with their choice in hopes that the front-offices will hear us.

Who would you add to the current roster to fill the last spot?

Last edited by hutcht02 : 08-15-2007 at 12:35 AM.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

adiedanny has decent reputation
Default Re: State of the Roster

J.Jordan because we have two old PG that can get injured easily.
adiedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Here's my probable depth chart[w/ current roster]:

SG: Cuttino Mobley | Quinton Ross
SF: Corey Maggette | Al Thornton
PF: Tim Thomas | Josh Powell | Elton Brand*
C: Chris Kaman | Paul Davis | Aaron Williams
* injured

Korolev has agreed, but we don't know if he's signed just yet. We still own the rights to Diaz, Jordan and Sofo[maybe Conroy if the Euro Rumors aren't true]. Chances are, we might appeal to the NBA Front Office to get a 16th roster spot until Elton/Livingston are healthy due to the extent of time they will be missing due to injury. Let's say that occurs, then, I would expect Korolev to be signed for sure, giving us two more open spots. With those 2 open spots, I see us inking Jordan and Diaz so the final depth chart is:

PG: Sam Cassell | Brevin Knight Jared Jordan | Shaun Livingston*
SG: Cuttino Mobley | Quinton Ross | Guillermo Diaz
SF: Corey Maggette | Al Thornton | Yaroslav Korolev
PF: Tim Thomas | Danny Fortson | Josh Powell | Elton Brand*
* injured

What I'm hoping though is we sign one of Jordan/Diaz, ink Williams and sign Fortson + Devin Brown

Last edited by qrich : 08-19-2007 at 05:06 PM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

I hate to sound pessimistic but I think the Clippers are done with making moves for the off-season. And I am very dissapointed that our 2 free-agent signings were Bravin Knight and Josh Powell. For some reason, I think that Jordan will make more of an impact than Knight. I just hope that Knight and Powell don't take minutes away from Thornton and Jordan. If the Clippers are gunna have a lowly season, i atleast want to get the most out of them because they might be a part of a new era for the Clippers. It pains me to say this, but I think the Brand/Maggette era is coming to the end. I also hope Korolev gets some playing time as well because he might be part of the future with Thornton and possibly Mayo/Rose, and maybe Livingston. And it's also a good oppertunity for Paul Davis.

Oh well. Here's what I think the depth chard should look like

C- Chris Kaman - Paul Davis
F- Al Thornton - Tim Thomas - Josh Powell
F- Corey Maggette - Yaroslav Korolev
G- Cuttino Mobley - Quinton Ross
G- Sam Cassell - Jared Jordan - Brevin Knight

Last edited by clipps : 08-16-2007 at 05:20 AM.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I hate to sound pessimistic but I think the Clippers are done with making moves for the off-season. And I am very dissapointed that our 2 free-agent signings were Bravin Knight and Josh Powell. For some reason, I think that Jordan will make more of an impact than Knight. I just hope that Knight and Powell don't take minutes away from Thornton and Jordan. If the Clippers are gunna have a lowly season, i atleast want to get the most out of them because they might be a part of a new era for the Clippers. It pains me to say this, but I think the Brand/Maggette era is coming to the end. I also hope Korolev gets some playing time as well because he might be part of the future with Thornton and possibly Mayo/Rose, and maybe Livingston. And it's also a good oppertunity for Paul Davis.

Oh well. Here's what I think the depth chard should look like

C- Chris Kaman - Paul Davis
F- Al Thornton - Tim Thomas - Josh Powell
F- Corey Maggette - Yaroslav Korolev
G- Cuttino Mobley - Quinton Ross
G- Sam Cassell - Jared Jordan - Brevin Knight
Thornton is a small forward
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiedanny
Thornton is a small forward

You're right, but he could end up starting at PF. You never know. With Brand out, Thomas and Kaman aren't intimidating anybody in our frontcourt. We have 3 options for the final PF spot:

Thomas- No defense but he can shoot and is an underrated rebounder

Powell- Play's hard and can rebound and bang with the best, but is still very inexperienced, especially on the new team.

Thornton- Can push the ball, drive, pretty much score anywhere. He's inexperienced, but will adjust fast. He's a little short and doesn't play very good defense, but we would fit with the Maggette and Sam Cassell strategy: Our best defene is a good offense.

To tell you the truth, Thomas will start at the beginning of the year. I'm 95% sure of that. But I can't see him fitting in well since opposing defenses will be focused on the perimeter without Brand. He'll play better off the bench with big minutes. I wouldn't be suprised at all for Thornton to move into the starting slot at some point. Why not develop him with Brand out? Powell also could get a few starts, and might suprise us, but I still have money on Thornton as the majority PF starter.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
You're right, but he could end up starting at PF. You never know. With Brand out, Thomas and Kaman aren't intimidating anybody in our frontcourt. We have 3 options for the final PF spot:

Thomas- No defense but he can shoot and is an underrated rebounder

Powell- Play's hard and can rebound and bang with the best, but is still very inexperienced, especially on the new team.

Thornton- Can push the ball, drive, pretty much score anywhere. He's inexperienced, but will adjust fast. He's a little short and doesn't play very good defense, but we would fit with the Maggette and Sam Cassell strategy: Our best defene is a good offense.

To tell you the truth, Thomas will start at the beginning of the year. I'm 95% sure of that. But I can't see him fitting in well since opposing defenses will be focused on the perimeter without Brand. He'll play better off the bench with big minutes. I wouldn't be suprised at all for Thornton to move into the starting slot at some point. Why not develop him with Brand out? Powell also could get a few starts, and might suprise us, but I still have money on Thornton as the majority PF starter.
I can actually see them start Davis a few times as well. I like the idea of experimenting with Thornton at the 4 spot but I think Thomas will do especially well at the 4 spot if Jordan is still on the team.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

Now that Diaz is signed I guess J.Jordan and Conroy are out, unless the signing of Korolev falls through.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

I smell a trade, roster cut or buy-out.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Now that Diaz is signed I guess J.Jordan and Conroy are out, unless the signing of Korolev falls through.

I don't know what the signign means for Jordan. It might just be a non-guarenteed deal for Diaz. I haven't heard the terms yet. But we could also get another roster spot by appealing. It's worth a shot, but I'm still not counting out Jordan.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Like I posted in the Diaz thread, I think the coach knows that he's an offguard and not a point, so it shouldn't affect Jordan greatly.

As far as the 4, I expect Thornton, Thomas, Powell and Davis to start there at times depending on the matchup, maybe even A. Williams at times, but in the end, I think Davis will be the best fit because he gives us a legit Center Hi/Low post offense with Davis on the high post as he can shoot and from what I saw, he's decent on putting the ball on the floor, while Kaman punishes everyone downlow.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

What do you guys think about starting Thomas at PF, Thornton at SF, Maggette at SG, Kaman will remain the Starting Center and depending who is healthy either Cassell or Knight sarting at the PG position? I think Mobley will be willing to come off the bench and put up some quality numbers while doing so.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
What do you guys think about starting Thomas at PF, Thornton at SF, Maggette at SG, Kaman will remain the Starting Center and depending who is healthy either Cassell or Knight sarting at the PG position? I think Mobley will be willing to come off the bench and put up some quality numbers while doing so.

I'd be iffy with Maggette at the offguard spot. He doesn't have the ball handling skills, so if teams press us, and Sammy/Brevin can't break it, we'll be screwed. I think that starting 5 will happen though. I can see the following starting fives occuring:
PG means Knight or Sammy

PG - Mobley - Maggette - Thomas - Kaman
PG - Maggette - Thornton - Davis - Kaman
PG - Mobley - Maggette - Davis - Kaman
PG - Mobley - Maggette - Thornton - Thomas
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
lawlerslaw100
Good High School Starter

lawlerslaw100 has decent reputationlawlerslaw100 has decent reputation
Lightbulb Re: State of the Roster

SG: Cuttino Mobley | Quinton Ross | Guillermo Diaz
SF: Corey Maggette | Al Thornton | Yaroslav Korolev
PF: Tim Thomas | Josh Powell | Aaron Williams | Elton Brand*

Starting Lineup is likely to be:

PG Sammy
SG Cat
SF Max
PF Timmy
C Kaveman

Look for Q Ross to replace Cat and Max in the starting lineup in some
defensive situations like against the Fakers.

Look for Kaveman to come off the bench against the Suns with Timmy
moving to C, Q at SF, and Maggette moving to PF.

Maggette will mostly play SF as a carry over from last year. I think
both Dunleavy and Maggette had light bulbs go off in a rare moment
of genius for both. Maggette play point forward well which helps
take pressure off the PG ala Scotty Pip. This style of play which
Dunleavy likes reminding him of his success with the Jail Blazers
suits his a controlling half court offense which adds to the defense.
Dunleavy's trademark is defense as a coach. Look at the records
set during the 2006 season.

All lineups will be geared towards D and Kaman will be on the pine
against the Suns and Warriors and any other team playing speed ball.
lawlerslaw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

a PG and a big man would do good...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: