Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #31
DaBull
I brick open layups

Default Re: What Rookies Are You Worried About?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Uh, no.

Sat behind = Came in for off the bench. You know what you meant.
sorry, i didnt realize you had God-like skills in knowing what exactly i was thinking.
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #32
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
sorry, i didnt realize you had God-like skills in knowing what exactly i was thinking.
Come off of it.

"Brandan Wright sat behind Tyler Hansborough all season".

What are people supposed to think?
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #33
Tips4
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Obviously all rookies have to make an adjustment to playing NBA basketball. However, some don't look to have the ability physically or mentally to make the adjustment.

Who are the guys that give you concerns over their ability to make the transition?

For me it is:

Brandan Wright - doesn't have much of a skillset at the moment and Don Nelson can make Larry Brown look like a mother hen when it comes to his comments about rookies.

Yi Jianlian - I like this guy. Think he could be a serious player. My concern is the treatment he'll get from fans and other players. Never in NBA history has a fight over destination had this much venom thrown towards the player. People complained about Steve Francis but a large number also said, "Well it is Vancouver". People complained about Kobe Bryant but a lot of folks still said "Why deny the man his dream?". Well Yi does have some fans backing his side of the argument they are far out-numbered but those that are not.

Thaddeus Young - the guy will be a SF in the NBA but doesn't have a perimeter skill-set at the moment. Nothing really abnormal about that but he plays in Philly. The "City of Brotherly Love" isn't especially loving towards athletes who it feels underperform.

Daequan Cook - didn't show the best attitude or shot selection at Ohio State. Also looks like a guy who resents tough love. How will Pat Riley respond when Cook breaks off a play that was supposed to go to Shaq in the post?

Sean Williams - skill-set isn't NBA ready but the biggest concern is Williams' personal life. When you get kicked out of school for the repeated smoking and selling of weed even though you are a guaranteed first round pick (with some projections as high as top 10) there is reason to be concerned.

Dont worry about Thaddeous Young this kid is going to be fine. What are u talking about ? He doesnt have perimiter skills ? The kid is an good shooter for a 6'8 small forward..maybe he doesnt have the confidence to shoot the ball all the time but this kid is known for his shooting ability.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #34
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
Dont worry about Thaddeous Young this kid is going to be fine. What are u talking about ? He doesnt have perimiter skills ? The kid is an good shooter for a 6'8 small forward..maybe he doesnt have the confidence to shoot the ball all the time but this kid is known for his shooting ability.
I have to seriously question what games of his you watched.

His mid-range game is an obvious work in progress from his inconsistent ball mechanics to the deliberate footwork. His ball-handling is improving but he's still a straight dribbler; meaning if he beats his man but gets cut off by a help defender he'll either just plow into the defender or turn the rock over trying to get around.

Seriously, I have to question how much of Young you truly saw. No one feels/felt shooting was a strength of his. From the college coaches and the NBA scout I know down to websites like DE and NBADnet; I know of no one besides you to say shooting was a strength for Young.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #35
grovetd
I brick open layups

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2Syh8zSChE

Thad Young was the MVP of the '06 Jordan Classic with 28 points and 13 rebounds.
grovetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #36
NIGHTMARE
Banned

Greg Oden because he is injury proned...
NIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #37
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovetd
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2Syh8zSChE

Thad Young was the MVP of the '06 Jordan Classic with 28 points and 13 rebounds.
:rollingeyes: Not this again.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #38
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Why worry more over Durant than Wrght when Durant has skills while Wright has no game?

God...Wright is so underrated. He's not a finished product as far as his potential goes, but he's got skill. He just needs to get stronger, work on his shot consistency from distance. He's got a good low post game now, needs to refine it, but his hook was consistent as was his short range turnaround j. He can decently put the ball on the ground from the midpost, but definately needs to get better at it, but I think certainly will.

Damned good rebounder, good shotblocker. Runs the floor great, finishes extremely well, moves well off the ball. In a system that will work to his strengths.

2 things that he just needs to be focusing on is getting stronger, and that midrange shot (I guess ft shooting too).
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #39
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Oden scares me when he keeps saying things like "Im scared of getting dunked on by Dwight Howard"
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #40
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I agree with Sean Williams. I just don't like the guy and he's on my team.

As for other rookies, I'm probably most concerned about Al Thornton. I just don't think he's as good as everyone thinks he is. If he's not the focus of the offense, he's not as effective. Forgive me, but Brand getting hurt is going to be a boost for him because it means he gets to shoulder more offensive loads, but long run, he's nothing more than offense off the bench... which is very respectable, but I think a lot of Clipper fans are expecting more out a lottery pick.

Thornton was the BPA in the Clippers opinions and my own, at the time, I was hopping for Bellinelli or Nick Young as I liked those players for the longest, and was dissapointed we didn't draft either one of them, but I didn't know Al would have been available.

Thornton could well have above average defense and has better ball handling skills then Maggette as is, along with a better shot if you ask me, so I think he'll slightly be more then an offensive spark off the bench
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:00 AM   #41
Tips4
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
I have to seriously question what games of his you watched.

His mid-range game is an obvious work in progress from his inconsistent ball mechanics to the deliberate footwork. His ball-handling is improving but he's still a straight dribbler; meaning if he beats his man but gets cut off by a help defender he'll either just plow into the defender or turn the rock over trying to get around.

Seriously, I have to question how much of Young you truly saw. No one feels/felt shooting was a strength of his. From the college coaches and the NBA scout I know down to websites like DE and NBADnet; I know of no one besides you to say shooting was a strength for Young.

He is a good shooter but he just needs to be more consistent, coming out of Highschool he was known as a good shooter. Kinda like Martel Webster of Porltand, he is a good shooter but his shooting needs be more consistent .
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 AM   #42
wally_world
M0derator

Joakim Noah... thanks to all the ****** out there... he has something to prove to those who doubt his abilities...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #43
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
Joakim Noah... thanks to all the ****** out there... he has something to prove to those who doubt his abilities...

I think both the Fla big men can be hit or miss. I know Noah will never be a offensive star, but one day a consistent double double type?
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #44
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Obviously all rookies have to make an adjustment to playing NBA basketball. However, some don't look to have the ability physically or mentally to make the adjustment.

Who are the guys that give you concerns over their ability to make the transition?

For me it is:

Brandan Wright - doesn't have much of a skillset at the moment and Don Nelson can make Larry Brown look like a mother hen when it comes to his comments about rookies.

Yi Jianlian - I like this guy. Think he could be a serious player. My concern is the treatment he'll get from fans and other players. Never in NBA history has a fight over destination had this much venom thrown towards the player. People complained about Steve Francis but a large number also said, "Well it is Vancouver". People complained about Kobe Bryant but a lot of folks still said "Why deny the man his dream?". Well Yi does have some fans backing his side of the argument they are far out-numbered but those that are not.

Thaddeus Young - the guy will be a SF in the NBA but doesn't have a perimeter skill-set at the moment. Nothing really abnormal about that but he plays in Philly. The "City of Brotherly Love" isn't especially loving towards athletes who it feels underperform.

Daequan Cook - didn't show the best attitude or shot selection at Ohio State. Also looks like a guy who resents tough love. How will Pat Riley respond when Cook breaks off a play that was supposed to go to Shaq in the post?

Sean Williams - skill-set isn't NBA ready but the biggest concern is Williams' personal life. When you get kicked out of school for the repeated smoking and selling of weed even though you are a guaranteed first round pick (with some projections as high as top 10) there is reason to be concerned.

I'm worried about all of the rookies. I'm just generally worried.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #45
Jakez On Point11
I brick open layups

I think that Connley rode Odgen's @ss all the way to the Nationals. I think he'll be decent but I see him somewhere around being a J.J. Redick.. Just me.
Jakez On Point11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: