Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

Pokerface has an OK reputation so far
Default Should The Nuggets Trade Jr??

It was reported in an earlier thread that discussions have been held between the Nuggets and the Magic concerning a potential trade involving Evans and JR. My question is, should the Nuggets trade JR?

I personally don't believe they should give up on him so soon. He has tremendous talent and with Melo being his mentor, he can grow into an excellent player in a few years. The Nuggets have a history of giving up on players too soon, like they did with Billups. They should invest the time to help JR develop as a player and as a person. Your thoughts?
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Napalm
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Napalm has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should The Nuggets Trade Jr??

I don't think they should..JR is an amazing player when he wants to be..but other times..not so much...he will get better with time if he decides to work on his game
Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

Hell, no.

Denver needs someone like JR, not like they need someone else badly either.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

KEEP JR

But it appears they're look for shooters which could help also
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What is JR's status for this year after he was responsible for killing his friend?

As far as keeping him, I would say give him another year.

This is his fourth season in the league and he needs to show that's he's matured. His shot selection and decision making are just plain atrocious. I wanted to punch my television after watching him screw up time and time again in the playoffs.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far

JR should have a normal season law wise, I don't think any of his problems will bleed into his career. I could be wrong on that, though, so don't quote me.

And trading him right now is a bad idea for quite a few reasons. His value is at rock bottom, and that's pretty low for JR. No one knows how he will recover from his extremely traumatic experience, and whether it will make a positive or a negative impact on his life and work ethic.

That said, he is probably one of the top 3 pure shooters in the league, and is athletic beyond the imagination of most people. The guy can hop out of a gym. In addition, he showed a willingness to try to improve his defense last year, which is one of his biggest faults.

On the downside, from everything I can tell the guy is just plain dumb. He doesn't know how to handle himself in the league, how to take care of his money, how to work at improving his game. He says really stupid stuff with regularity. Some of those problems will be cured as he matures; some won't. It'll be a battle he'll fight his whole career to overcome his immaturity.

But no, you can't trade him right now, especially when you consider the kind of effect that could have on him in this stage in his life. He's in a fragile place, but at least his basketball life is stable, and he's got role models and friends in Melo and AI who not only have made mistakes like he has, but have learned from them and became better players and people because of them. I can't think of a better situation for JR in that regard.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldNugg21
JR should have a normal season law wise, I don't think any of his problems will bleed into his career. I could be wrong on that, though, so don't quote me.

And trading him right now is a bad idea for quite a few reasons. His value is at rock bottom, and that's pretty low for JR. No one knows how he will recover from his extremely traumatic experience, and whether it will make a positive or a negative impact on his life and work ethic.

That said, he is probably one of the top 3 pure shooters in the league, and is athletic beyond the imagination of most people. The guy can hop out of a gym. In addition, he showed a willingness to try to improve his defense last year, which is one of his biggest faults.

On the downside, from everything I can tell the guy is just plain dumb. He doesn't know how to handle himself in the league, how to take care of his money, how to work at improving his game. He says really stupid stuff with regularity. Some of those problems will be cured as he matures; some won't. It'll be a battle he'll fight his whole career to overcome his immaturity.

But no, you can't trade him right now, especially when you consider the kind of effect that could have on him in this stage in his life. He's in a fragile place, but at least his basketball life is stable, and he's got role models and friends in Melo and AI who not only have made mistakes like he has, but have learned from them and became better players and people because of them. I can't think of a better situation for JR in that regard.

Well said. Everything i was planning on saying and more.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

GoldNugg, I agreed with just about everything you said, except for this:

Quote:
That said, he is probably one of the top 3 pure shooters in the league

You can't possibly believe that, JR is the definition of a streaky shooter.

I loved your comment about JR being just plain dumb though, I'm glad we both agree on that.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

Thats true randy, he's definitely not a top 3 pure shooter. But when he is on, he is really on though.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

trade JR for a defensive stopper/play maker... you guys don't need another scorer... and JR does nothing but score... so no point keeping him if his potential is not used to full...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
paguy1955
High School Starter

paguy1955 has an OK reputation so far

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith has been suspended by the organization for the first three games of the regular season for conduct detrimental to the team.

According to Denver County Court records, Smith has been issued a summons to appear in court to answer to allegations of destruction of private property, disturbing the peace and assault in an incident at DC-10 lounge at 940 Lincoln on Oct. 13.

The case was filed Wednesday. Police received calls at 1:40 a.m. on Oct. 13.

"There was a disturbance and a fight and a call for an ambulance," said Lt. Ron Saunier, spokesman for the Denver Police Department.

Saunier said the decision was made to issue Smith a summons rather than arrest him

I am sorry but it is time for JR and the Nuggets to part ways. It seems he has not learned his lession from his childish actions caused his best friend to die at his hands. He has been a distraction both on and off the court. I really believe he will never grow up and the Nuggets need to cut their losses. Maybe someone else(Detroit) can trade for him!
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation

I hope Detroit squashes these rumors and says "No thank you."

He *****ed about playing time after Iverson came into town. In Detroit, he would be stuck behind Billups, Hamilton, Murray, and three rookies who are really emerging.

As good as he is, he's a *****.

Keep the thugs in Denver, thanks.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

I think the Nuggets should trade to a team that needs a SG, but I can't think of a team that needs a SG except Orlando or you could trade him to the Bobcats and get Derek Anderson. Michael Jordan probably could straighten him out plus J.R. Smith was going to go to UNC before he decided to go to the NBA. The Nuggets could get Derek Anderson who can play both guard spots and small forward and can shoot the 3. Thats the only thing I can think of. Maybe Denver can get the Bulls to take him back as a refund.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
paguy1955
High School Starter

paguy1955 has an OK reputation so far

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith poured champagne on a woman at a nightclub, then briefly apologized before spitting on her, shoving her and tearing her dress, according to court records.
The Oct. 13 clash led the Nuggets to suspend Smith for the first three games of the season.

A 22-year-old Englewood woman told police she was at the DC10 club, 940 Lincoln, when Smith doused her with Moet champagne, according to a summons charging Smith with assault, destruction of property and disturbing the peace.

As the club closed for the night, Smith "apologized to the victim," according to the police report. "Then (he) changed attitude and spit on her, used his hand to push her face and tore her dress."

The woman called police, who arrived to find her in the torn dress. She had no other apparent injuries, the report said.

Smith, 22, told the officer "he was very (drunk and) doesn't remember everything" that happened at the club, according to the officer's notes.

Send his a** back to Jersey. Shows NO CLASS or maturity!
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

Pokerface has an OK reputation so far

After this most recent stupid and boneheaded action, I agree that it is time for the Nuggets to give JR a free "get out of town" ticket. He is no longer welcome in Colorado, not even wtih the D-league team. There is no excuse for his actions. Forget age, immaturity, drunk, or any other descriptions, he has shown that perhaps the only team in Colorado that he could now play for would be the Canon City Bombers, if there is such a team there in Super Max.
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: