Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here
Default Question about White/Black issue

Scrolled through the other racism thread and it's quite obvious as to why it hit 100+ replies. Several people on these threads don't acknowledge that they're actually arguing with 14year olds that have never met people outside of their parents and classmates. As a result, you get replies such as "All black people I know are..." or "All white people I know are...", etc. One needs life experience to be able to talk about issues such as these.

Here's my question:

Last night I was watching E! (embarrassingly) and they mentioned how that dude from Grey's Anatomy was kicked off the show for making an anti-gay comment and more importantly, they showed Michael Richards and how he has officially quit comedy and has decided to travel to Cambodia to seek spiritual enlightenment.

Firstly, I don't exactly know what Michael Richards said. I just know that he was being heckled and attempted to be a bit more outrageous and it ended up backfiring. He apologized and it became a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge story and in turn he's quit comedy and his life's work and legacy is basically ruined.

I thought of black comedians (they're great by the way) and how a good percentage of their routines revolve around being black and "White people this, white people that". In other words, my question is whether they are having their cake and eating it too? I guess you know what I mean.

I know there have been threads and discussions about reverse racism but I never really cared to read any of it. I just want to know how this is viewed. I'm Asian and living in Asia (although I have travelled and lived all over and met all kinds of people) and want to know how both white people and African Americans view this "Issue".

Cheers.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Question about White/Black issue

don't care. You can generalize all you want about my race. As long as it's just talk and not actions I don't give a ****.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

Dodonpa has an OK reputation so far

I don't care about the rest of your post but

Quote:
Several people on these threads don't acknowledge that they're actually arguing with 14year olds that have never met people outside of their parents and classmates.
That got me
Well actually I do actually acknowledge that fact, but I'm still not gonna let them run their mouths like that.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodonpa
I don't care about the rest of your post but

That got me
Well actually I do actually acknowledge that fact, but I'm still not gonna let them run their mouths like that.

"Don't ever argue with an idiot, because they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Arguing with these idiots lowers my IQ so I say, **** that.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
don't care. You can generalize all you want about my race. As long as it's just talk and not actions I don't give a ****.

Fair enough. And you are?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
I thought of black comedians (they're great by the way) and how a good percentage of their routines revolve around being black and "White people this, white people that". In other words, my question is whether they are having their cake and eating it too? I guess you know what I mean.

Personally, I am of the serious type when it comes to these kinds of issues so I don't think it is good to joke about any types of racism.

I strongly believe that that kind of joking has roots from hate or ignorance, so there is no reason to propagate it, even if the intention or goal was for humor.... but thats just me. I am sure you would get a variety of answers to the question.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

The news never really showed the entire clip.

KKKramer started with the "stupid **** and ******s" stuff before he began being heckled. The heckling was in response to it. He was in the middle of his set when the group of guys came in and took their seats in the balcony and the waitress was getting them drinks and everything and it distracted Kkkramer and he got mad because he felt it was interrupting.

Secondly, there's a difference between "man, why white people dance like this?" and what KKKramer said. I don't take either to heart, but I agree black comedians ride way too much on the "black people do this, white people do this," routines. However, your implication that black people do it and white people don't/can't, lest they be labeled racist is again incorrent. Gary Owen, Bill Mauer, and George Carlin all have extensive sets making fun of black people that got no controversy at all.

It's funny to me though how white people accuse others of always playing the race card, as if they don't play the double standard card just as much
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

I don't get why Americans go ON and ON about white vs. black race issues. Who cares? People are people. Sometimes I just look at older generations blabbing about other people and I just don't see what they see. My friends / my generation doesn't see the colour gap crap. Dude is "John" not beige-john or brown-john. USA get over it.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
I don't get why Americans go ON and ON about white vs. black race issues. Who cares? People are people. Sometimes I just look at older generations blabbing about other people and I just don't see what they see. My friends / my generation doesn't see the colour gap crap. Dude is "John" not beige-john or brown-john. USA get over it.
I hate how foreigners who have never experienced the diversity of a country such as the United States talk like they know exactly what it's like to live in a melting pot like usa.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I hate how foreigners who have never experienced the diversity of a country such as the United States talk like they know exactly what it's like to live in a melting pot like usa.

I don't get what you're trying to say? Can you elaborate a little more? You saying USA is a horrible place to live because of racism or what?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #11
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

Quote:

The United States of America is NOT, and I repeat NOT the only country in the world that is diverse. Every country, or at least every democratic country in the world has tons upon tons of different nationalities. I currently live in the Philippines and you'll find each and every nationality here. I recently met a group of Papua New Guineans and that is rare.

You just accused someone of generalization by generalizing.

And to Datznasty: Thank you for your post, I didn't know there were white comedians dad did jokes about black people and are getting away with it. That's good then. At least it's fair at both ends.

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #12
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
I don't get what you're trying to say? Can you elaborate a little more? You saying USA is a horrible place to live because of racism or what?
I just hate when someone who doesn't know anything about living in the US talks like he does.

No the US is a great place to live....

Like take for instance that guy was talking about the asian vs black gangs at his school. Thats a reason people have trouble seeing past the color. My friends dad lost his job to an illegal. He doesn't like Mexicans...
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 AM   #13
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I just hate when someone who doesn't know anything about living in the US talks like he does.

No the US is a great place to live....

Ok that's fair.

Quote:
Like take for instance that guy was talking about the asian vs black gangs at his school. Thats a reason people have trouble seeing past the color. My friends dad lost his job to an illegal. He doesn't like Mexicans...

So do you see why racism still happens?

Your friends dad lost his job to an immigrant, and suddenly it's the immigrant fault, therefore your friends dad has the right to hate all Mexicans? No wonder America is so ****ed up when it comes to the whole race conversation.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #14
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Ok that's fair.

Your friends dad lost his job to an immigrant, and suddenly it's the immigrant fault, therefore your friends dad has the right to hate all Mexicans? No wonder America is so ****ed up when it comes to the whole race conversation.
I didn't say he had the right to. I told you why there is still racism.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #15
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Ok that's fair.

1st off I'd like to say that I'm not racist at all and I'm friends with a ton of Mexican people but it is rather annoying when you have all these illegal immigrants(people wouldn't mind them if they moved here legally) coming into the country. There are a bunch of reasons why people hire illegals instead of legal people from the country itself, and when you lose your job(I have a couple family members+friends who have experienced this) to someone who shouldn't even technically live in the country they resent that. I'm not sure of all the reasons illegals get hired and stuff but they're there, and it makes people mad when you can't get a job but someone who shouldn't even live in the country and just jumped over a border gets that job.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: