Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #541
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Default Re: Real NBA Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
It helps you see over the defense ala Magic for the sweet pass.
Otherwise, it just makes people wish you played bigger. Standing reach is where its at. Wingspan helps get into the passing lanes and block shots/release shots. It does take a condor a bit more time to get his arms up than a T-rex, but a shorter guys with longer arms makes up for any delay with quicker feet (shorter guys can respond quicker laterally).
I have the same built as Dwight Howard (except I am about a foot shorter and 130 lbs lighter) or Shawn Marion. I am only 5,9"-ish but I have the 'high shoulders syndrome'. As such, it looks like I don't have a neck because my shoulders are so high, square, and broad.

I was in the park with a 5,11" guy on a basketball court. Despite being a good inch taller or more taller, my shoulder height was the same as his. My wingspan is nearly 6,2". As such, my standing reach was the same as his (we actually compared) . I may only be 176 cm (in the morning, but in the late evening because of daily height strinkage I am only 174 cm ish), but I can touch the 8' (243 cm) of my apartment without leaving the floor at all because of my relatively long arms and high shoulders!
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #542
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
also look at the torso, Howards torso is up higher. with his longer arms he plays bigger than Bosh.People read into height too much.

Eddie House and Iverson are the same height, but iversons torso is up higher showing his height mostly in his legs, with his wingspan that allows him to play 3 inches taller.
I didn't notice Howard's torso is higher than Bosh's, but thanks for pointing that out . It's pretty obvious if you look closely I suppose (because Howard's waist is slightly higher than Bosh's).

btw, contrary to popular belief, the difference in neck length between ppl is more apparent than real. The main reason why some ppl seem to have short or long necks (excluding double chins) is because of shoulder elevation/height. Somebody like Dwight Howard or Shawn Marion only appear to have a short neck because of having high or square shoulders. Somebody like Bosh or Yao only appear to have a longer neck because of lower or sloping shoulders.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #543
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Charles
6`8 Grant Hill...next to Charles

Terrible picture...
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #544
Godfather
Banned

Chuck Hayes is 6'2''...I stood next to him in RL.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #545
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Terrible picture...
I agree...btw is anyone a Celebheight user? I got the Chris Bosh/Dwight Howard pic from that site.
He's a pic of the 6,4 3/4" MJ and the 7,5" Yao (note those are their barefoot heights)...
I haven't seen a pic of Yao standing next to somebody who's noticably taller than him...
Here's Yao and Shawn Bradley...they both seem to the same height...

And Shawn Bradley trying to block Yao

btw, I think 7,4" Mark Eaton might have the same shoulder height as 7,5" Yao. He has a very short neck and broad high shoulders unlike Yao who has narrow droopy shoulders and a long neck .
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #546
Spec5ial5k5
I usually hit open layups

Everyones heights are with shoes on so their listings are 1.25 inches more than they really are
Spec5ial5k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #547
unknown101
Local High School Star

This pic looks like Barkley is about 6 foot 7
unknown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #548
Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Chuck Hayes is 6'2''...I stood next to him in RL.
6'2?
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #549
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmashbros
I agree...btw is anyone a Celebheight user? I got the Chris Bosh/Dwight Howard pic from that site.
He's a pic of the 6,4 3/4" MJ and the 7,5" Yao (note those are their barefoot heights)...
I haven't seen a pic of Yao standing next to somebody who's noticably taller than him...
Here's Yao and Shawn Bradley...they both seem to the same height...

And Shawn Bradley trying to block Yao

btw, I think 7,4" Mark Eaton might have the same shoulder height as 7,5" Yao. He has a very short neck and broad high shoulders unlike Yao who has narrow droopy shoulders and a long neck .

Yeah, I go on that site all the time out of curiosity. It seems to be the most accurate.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #550
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Yeah, I go on that site all the time out of curiosity. It seems to be the most accurate.
I think it has the best height records for celebrities hence the name Celebheights. I think 7,5" is spot on for Yao. Then again, I mentioned before Yao doesn't seem as massive as players of similar (or slightly shorter heights) like Mark Eaton, Shagari Alleyne, Pavel Podkolvin, and Slavko Vranes. I think it's because he has very narrow sloping shoulders. Shawn Bradley has a similar built to Yao (except his hips are also narrow unlike Yao who's broad-hipped).
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #551
supersmashbros
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
This may be of interest. Bosh's standing reach was 9'1" despite measuring 6'10 1/4" without shoes. Dwight had a 9'3 1/2" standing reach despite measuring just 6'9" without shoes. So that picture makes sense.
The only thing find surprising about Chris Bosh is that his wingspan was measured at 7,3" despite having such narrow shoulders (and thus a long neck. His small head also exaggerates the long neck because a smaller head means less to cover up the neck). That must mean Bosh has absurdly long arms, but his standing reach still isn't ridiculously high because of his low shoulders.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #552
alexandreben
Local High School Star

What is Jabbar's "wingspan" and "standing reach"? anyone has some source please?
alexandreben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #553
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Whatever happened to VCMVP1551, he was comical.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #554
Height Freak
I usually hit open layups

Bump
Height Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: