Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default OT: Windows Vista

Anyone care to explain why I've been hearing such bad things about this?

Thanks.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
the even bigger black guy
High School Varsity 6th Man

the even bigger black guy has decent reputation
Default Re: OT: Windows Vista

it's ****e. runs slow because it's so bloated.
the even bigger black guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Black Durant Jam
I hit open 5-footers

Black Durant Jam has an OK reputation so far

There's nothing wrong with it, there just isn't much reason to upgrade from XP (unless you have some program that you can't live without that NEEDS Vista to operate)
Black Durant Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Whether they admit it or not, it's a beta. Let other people work out the bugs and get it yourself in about a year.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

I got it and its pretty good. It runs a little slow but my comp is pretty old anyways. The graphics are nice.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the even bigger black guy
it's ****e. runs slow because it's so bloated.
Or, possibly, the computer you saw it run on didn't have enough RAM?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's the problem I'm having.

I'm buying a laptop within the next little while for university. I've heard that doing things that aren't so... 'legal' is a pain on Vista. Downloading music, downloading software, etc. That's why I've been looking into buying a machine that already runs XP, but they're few and far between. I can only find older computers with XP, no newer ones.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

You can't find a laptop from 2004-2005? Should be easy.

edit: You could also use Linux, although that's renegade activity against Bill Gates, our Lord and Master.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The GUI Interface is amazing, looks goods and sleek, but the system runs a bit slow regardless of how fast your computer is. If you've ever used Zone Alarm firewall, or almost any firewall for that matter, you'd know that they give you tons of pop ups after you first install it because the firewall it getting used to your system settings and asks for your clarification for certain things. Imagine all those pop ups, times 3. That's Windows Vista. Pop ups galore, annoying security alerts, and incompatible with many types of software.

Some programs don't even work on Vista, and even worse, some hardware don't even work on Vista. Say for example you want to install a new sound card or graphics card. If it's not new and Vista-compatible, it won't work. It's still in the eaarly stages of production, but personally, I see no point in having it for at least another year. It's laggy at times, incompatible with many things, and has many other problems.

My analysis: Stick with Windows XP.

Quote:
Here's the problem I'm having.

I'm buying a laptop within the next little while for university. I've heard that doing things that aren't so... 'legal' is a pain on Vista. Downloading music, downloading software, etc. That's why I've been looking into buying a machine that already runs XP, but they're few and far between. I can only find older computers with XP, no newer ones.
I'm sure there's many laptops from a couple of years ago that have Windows XP, not Vista. You shouldn't be looking for computers made in the last 6 months or so, they're almost all Vista. Look for computers made around 2003-2006-ish.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
RidonKs
NBA Legend

I've just been going to the tech stores. Staples, Future Shop, that sort of thing. There were a couple of older ones at Staples (Toshiba A100 I think), but I have no idea about computers, so I don't really know what to do. A little lost I suppose.

Hmm, thanks Richie. Think going online to buy one would yield better results?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I've just been going to the tech stores. Staples, Future Shop, that sort of thing. There were a couple of older ones at Staples (Toshiba A100 I think), but I have no idea about computers, so I don't really know what to do. A little lost I suppose.
What are you looking for in your computer specifically?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
What are you looking for in your computer specifically?
Well that's the problem. I don't really have any idea. I guess I want 2 gigs of ram (is that right, maybe 2 megs, I dunno), and yeah, not a whole lot else. I won't be gaming or anything on it, it's only for internet and word. Downloading music and stuff like that too.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
IllegalD
Local High School Star

IllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputation

My advice?

Get a Mac
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalD
My advice?

Get a Mac
It's definitely an option.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I've heard that doing things that aren't so... 'legal' is a pain on Vista. Downloading music, downloading software, etc.
How so? I can see how it would be a pain with illegal Microsoft programs and all the "validation" they like to use with their stuff but games, movies and music?

There are many versions of Vista out for download as well anyways. I would assume those are cracked to bypass any required validation like most online XP versions are.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: