Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: OT: Windows Vista

Get a mac
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why are Macs better? Anyone care to give me a brief explanation why? I'd be very open to getting one, my sister has one and she likes hers. Is it possible to get a Mac and then download a Windows interface so it's pretty much like using a PC, except with some of the Mac benefits (whatever they might be)?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #18
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Anyone care to explain why I've been hearing such bad things about this?

Thanks.

I'd wait for service pack two. There are some software and compatibility issues.

However, it's visually more appealing than XP... the GUI is nice; there's a better desktop search feature; the multi media apps are a little better; it makes use of widgets. It's not going to slow your machine down if your machine is up to date. If you're running Vista on a three year old machine, yeah, you'll have problems, but if your machine is relatively up to date, you'll be fine...

As for downloading... I haven't heard of Vista interferring with any of the P2P software programs... perhaps there may be software compatibility issues, but I haven't heard much about that.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well that's the problem. I don't really have any idea. I guess I want 2 gigs of ram (is that right, maybe 2 megs, I dunno), and yeah, not a whole lot else. I won't be gaming or anything on it, it's only for internet and word. Downloading music and stuff like that too.
Well if you're not going to be gaming on it, you won't need a whole lot. Here's some specs you should look for when looking for a laptop to buy. Things around this range should be good for what you want:

- 1.5 - 2.5 GHz Processor (Solid amount, maybe make it an Intel Core Duo processor if you'd like. Duo processors are good if you want to be running multple programs. Athlon processors are nice as well.).
- 1GB DDR2 - 2GB DDR2 of RAM (2GB isn't mandatory, especially if you're not going to be gaming. 1GB should be enough for the most part, but it's up to you. Make sure it has DDR or DDR2 next to the amount as well, that's the new type of RAM; top-notch).
- 128MB - 256MB of video memory (Again, since you won't be gaming, no need for spectacular graphics).
- 40GB - 80GB hard drive (Enough for thousands of songs, some movies, whatever university things you'll need. Generally it is a legitimate amount).
- CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW Combo Drive (CD/DVD Drive that lets you watch or burn CDs and DVDs).
- Legitimate sound card, really up to you, no need for specifics
- 802.11 or 802.11g Wireless adapter (Most laptops come with this, useful if you plan on using wireless internet).

That's pretty much the basics of what you should be looking for in your laptop. If you're still unsure you can just find a laptop you like and post it's specs here and I'll tell you if it's legit or not.

Quote:
Why are Macs better? Anyone care to give me a brief explanation why? I'd be very open to getting one, my sister has one and she likes hers. Is it possible to get a Mac and then download a Windows interface so it's pretty much like using a PC, except with some of the Mac benefits (whatever they might be)?
Yeah, I'm pretty certain Macs can have a Windows interface so that you can use the Mac as if you were on a PC. At least that's what I've been hearing from Mac owners.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
playstation
I brick open layups

playstation has an OK reputation so far

good god man get a mac

i'm a lifelong pc user and i'm still telling you this. i just bought a mac. it is the pinnacle of human achievement and i love it more than my family.

on the xp vs vista thing, even microsoft knows xp is pretty popular. they revised xp sales estimates UP BY 50% last week. that's HUGE. they know that if people have a choice, they're picking XP

more importantly, screw all that. the cheapest new laptop you can get that's good nowadays is not made by dell, gateway, HP, etc. its at Apple. i'm serious. not only runs the best, but the cheapest.

for $999 (after student discount), you get a 2GHz macbook (with a 13'' glossy screen and a built in camera) which runs all the stuff you wanted EASILY. Oh by the way you also get a free printer. Oh by the way you also get a free nano (or an ipod video for $50). You also avoid being the douche that bought a PC.

Not only that, but if you get 'Fusion' for the mac, you can run a microsoft operating system on it too. best of both worlds and STILL the cheapest option! in my world, that's what they call a no-brainer.

if i were you, i'd at least go the apple store and try it out before buying some crap system.

check out:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

Last edited by playstation : 08-16-2007 at 01:04 PM.
playstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
DaBull
I brick open layups

DaBull has an OK reputation so far

Just get a Mac. Mine is flawless, hasnt had a single problem in over 2 years, probably turned it off twice the entire time
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #22
the even bigger black guy
High School Varsity 6th Man

the even bigger black guy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Or, possibly, the computer you saw it run on didn't have enough RAM?

You need 2 gigs minimum for it to be tolerable. It's bloated. Trust me, I have been working in IT for 8 years. XP runs 1,000,000x better, if you have to run Windows.

Otherwise I prefer OS X or Linux
the even bigger black guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Interesting stuff.

Right now this is the machine that I'm looking at.

link

Just out of curiosity, where might I be able to go to buy one online for a little cheaper. I'm not sure I'd be willing to go used, but does anyone know of any sites to get computers for good prices?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:

link

Just out of curiosity, where might I be able to go to buy one online for a little cheaper. I'm not sure I'd be willing to go used, but does anyone know of any sites to get computers for good prices?

www.newegg.com

Stuff is significantly cheaper, plus they probably have the most reliable delivery and customer service quality out of all the online sellers. I buy stuff constantly from them.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #25
veeceeonefive
I airball my layups

veeceeonefive has an OK reputation so far

1) Buy whatever laptop satisfies your needs and fits your budget, regardless of operating system.

2) If the laptop comes with XP, skip to step 3. If the laptop comes with Vista, install XP.

3) Enjoy.

Installing an operating system is really no more difficult than installing any other piece of software. Since you mentioned the less than legal side of the internet, one can only assume that obtaining a copy of Windows XP is within your power.
veeceeonefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

link

There's always Ebay.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #27
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Ridonks

I just picked my sisters laptop for school. I got my dad an amazing deal.

Its an HP 14.1 Wide screen.
2 Gs of Ram
120G hdd
Amd dual core
Vista
Brand New
1 Year Warranty

600 dollars SHIPPED to your door.

Yes it has vista but it also has the power to run it.

If you don't buy vista now, you're going to end up buying in later spending another 200 bucks or so. I recommend getting it now when you buy the pc, it will be cheaper in the long run.

If vista is giving you trouble you can use a linux live cd very easily. You just pop it in and run.

I don't think you'll have problems with vista for web browsing dling and word.

You will not find a better deal.

About buying a mac-simply put Don't.

Yes it's nice getting away from windows but you'll pay almost 3000 to get the power that you will with this hp laptop I listed.

If you do buy this one which I recommend you do and hurry, remember to get your rebates in.

Here is the link. You click that and it will take you to office depot. This website has links to other deals you should check out, but I know this the best deal you will find.

http://dealspl.us/HP-Pavilion-dv2416...chnology_63965
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #28
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Since you mentioned the less than legal side of the internet, one can only assume that obtaining a copy of Windows XP is within your power.
Haha, not at all. What I meant by less than legal is probably pretty far off from what you consider less than legal.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Haha, not at all. What I meant by less than legal is probably pretty far off from what you consider less than legal.

Send me a PM and let me know... I can probably help you out. And no, I don't work for the RIAA... I don't like DRM...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #30
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

@ RidonKs: That's a prettt good computer.
@ Cannonball: What's wrong with buying a Mac?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: