Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation
Default Best region to live in the U.S.

I was just wondering what everyone feels is the BEST region to live in the U.S., considering such factors as crime, climate, job opportunities, environment, cultural diversity, etc.

I currently live in the NY-NJ metro area. It is alright, but I've seen better. The area I really like is the Houston metro area (I've been there, but don't live there). People who live around there - isn't it a great area?

Anyway, what are your opinions on this based on factors as crime, climate, job opportunities, environment, cultural diversity, etc. ?
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: Best region to live in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
I was just wondering what everyone feels is the BEST region to live in the U.S., considering such factors as crime, climate, job opportunities, environment, cultural diversity, etc.

I currently live in the NY-NJ metro area. It is alright, but I've seen better. The area I really like is the Houston metro area (I've been there, but don't live there). People who live around there - isn't it a great area?

Anyway, what are your opinions on this based on factors as crime, climate, job opportunities, environment, cultural diversity, etc. ?
Colorado wins in most...

crime = colorado
climate = colorado (cleanest air in the world)
job opportunities = Dallas
envioronment = colorado
cultural diversity = I think alot of cities are equal here...
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

i would probaby say northern-california and the valley here. the weather is terrific, although it gets a little hot sometimes. short trip out to the bay, LOTS of trees. pretty calm for the most part but yeah there a lot of places where crime likes to stick it's head in...as there always is anywhere. you can't completely prevent crime.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

where I live might be the WORST place to live (SE Ohio)

I'm thinking anywhere out in California sounds good. Some spots, you are an hour's drive away from a beach, desert, or snow-capped mountain.........
mlh1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter

oh yeah and like primetime was saying about cultural diversity, it's basically a melting pot here, there's not too muh of any race. some of the fastest growing areas in the united states are right here where i live. btw housing went down considerably too in these past few months..
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

All my searches point to Oregon as being one of the best places to live in the country for me, although I'm not sure how the job opportunities are. Denver is up there too, but it's too damn cold and you have to deal with the snow in the winter.

Utah lacks social diversity, the culture is quite lop-sided, air pollution in Salt Lake is pretty bad (smog gets trapped between the mountains), and it's cold during the winter and snows. It's the second driest state in the country, so you have to do a lot of watering. It does have a wide assortment of outdoor locations and diversity though (mountains, lakes, rivers, forests, red rock, desert, wilderness)

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 08-16-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Rebel INS has decent reputation

Anyone know a site that lists cities in terms of job opportunties? I am planning to leave Los Angeles after i graduate.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

LAZYBOY has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
i would probaby say northern-california and the valley here. the weather is terrific, although it gets a little hot sometimes. short trip out to the bay, LOTS of trees. pretty calm for the most part but yeah there a lot of places where crime likes to stick it's head in...as there always is anywhere. you can't completely prevent crime.

It's too dam hot here for me bro, summertime kills me. I can't get used to it and I've lived here most of my life.
LAZYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
All my searches point to Oregon as being one of the best places to live in the country for me, although I'm not sure how the job opportunities are. Denver is up there too, but it's too damn cold and you have to deal with the snow in the winter.

Winter is not actually not that bad here. Winter makes up about 3 months and the snow is never even that bad, I can only think of 3 storms in the last 5 years where it snowed 3 ft. or more. Colorado averages 300 days of sunshine a year so we even get some sunny days in January.

Primetime is right, Colorado is absolutely awesome. I mean, where else can you get from here:

To here, in only 2 hours?:

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Targus™
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Winter is not actually not that bad here. Winter makes up about 3 months and the snow is never even that bad, I can only think of 3 storms in the last 5 years where it snowed 3 ft. or more. Colorado averages 300 days of sunshine a year so we even get some sunny days in January.

Primetime is right, Colorado is absolutely awesome. I mean, where else can you get from here:

To here, in only 2 hours?:

california.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature

I'd say the hood (yo)

Crime: lots of other criminals to distract the police while you do your dirtyness

Job opportunities: Very little competition due to a lack of qualified workers in the area

Climate: It rains sometimes, then it snows sometimes, but when its not doin either of those the weather is ALWAYS sunny and nice

Environment: No bears, no wolves, no lions, no hyenas, no quicksand, no volcanoes...

Cultural diversity: light skinned blacks, dark skinned blacks, super-dark skinned blacks, mixed folks
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
LowRider236
I airball my layups

LowRider236 has an OK reputation so far

amerka is worst place to live
place is for dog shatz
LowRider236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider236
amerka is worst place to live
place is for dog shatz

*whew* thank god i don't live in Amerka...

I just checked..... Place sucks so bad they didn't even put it on the map
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

it really depends on you. Ive lived in a lot of places in the us and they all have merit. I currently live near houston and I have to admit I liek it more than I thought I would (I am more of a hillbilly than a city slicker). You should make a list of the most important quality of life issues for you (do you hate the snow, do you like to be able to go outside (pleasantly) in the summer (not houston), do you love mountains, or lakes, do you want to be near lots of young women (cali or a college dominant town like austin). What industry are you pursuing? The list goes on. For my money, I love New Mexico (too many people live in the SW already - look at the rivers that carved the Phoenix basin - in about 100 years we have drained that water table over 120 ft) and northern MI (YOu can probably tell I live being outside). But really a place is what you make of it.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Consider these regions:

Charlotte
VA Beach / Hampton / Norfolk
San Diego
Spokane
Aurora (right outside Chicago)
Des Moines
Wichita
Chattanooga
Asheville
Grand Rapids
Charleston (SC)