Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Any really talented young European centers?

I am a big fan of Arvydas Sabonis and Vlade Divac are there any young talented European centers who are good enough to start in the NBA now?
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Any really talented young European centers?

To start? I suppose you mean to go to the NBA, not to be a starter in a team. In the U18 champ I've seen at least a couple of guys that could play there in one or two years: Kostas Koufos (greek) and Milan Macvan (serbian).
Koufos is a F-C (usually C because of his height, 2.16 m), Gasol like, good moves, good shot, great rebounder, I think he is better than Gasol was at his age. He was named MVP of the tournament.
Macvan is smaller (2.03 m) but toughter, he is a hurricane in both sides of the court, and also shoots and rebounds as well as Koufos.
These two could do for sure the NBA in a short time if the continue improving, or even become starters if they fall in a team without players of their skills.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Thanks!
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

koufas and macvan have been great in the under 18.Ogilvy the Australian guy is pretty good too.A bit older is erceg I think he will be a good player 6' 10" has a good outside shot,perhaps a bit soft for the paint.Not young anymore but that could play in most nba teams Vuijcic , Smodis and Papadopoulos.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Taras Bulba has an OK reputation so far

Well, here are some young players (as in born after 1980). But I really doubt if any of them could start for an NBA team. Maybe Splitter and/or Pekovic could.

Pekovic, Bouroussis, Begic, Vazquez, Teletovic, Javtokas

non-European based in Europe: Splitter, Andersen, Ndong

Can't think of anyone else really.

Last edited by Taras Bulba : 02-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Taras Bulba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation

Bourousis
Pekovic
Splitter
Koufos
Shermadini

I would say watch out for Shermandini in the future. Bourousis, Pekovic, and Splitter are all ready to play in the NBA right now IMO. As far as starting right now in the NBA?

I would say either Bourousis, Splitter, or Pekovic but I'm not sure about Bourousis if he's ready yet to start on a team. Splitter I think it would depend on the team. Pekovic I think he could do it now.

So for right now guys that could start I would say Pekovic, he's damn good even at such a young age. Bourousis and Splitter I think could maybe but I think they might need a little more development. Believe me, Bourousis has big time potential but he's a developing type player.

Guys like Koufos obviously and Shermandini have the talent but are too young. Shermadini.........huge potential IMO for that guy. Then there is Sofo. He's never going to be able to play more than 10-15 minutes so no for him.

With all this being said, Andreas Glyniadakis. He's not young really, because he's about 27, but that guy is a warrior. Glyniadakis is actually a guy that I believe could start right now in the NBA. I don't think American clubs understood how to use him properly when he was in the US. It's a shame because he's very good.
Lakas Fan Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

I don't think Glyniadakis is an NBA material. He himself believed it though and tried for it and actually made it for some games, but then he got a reality check and decided not to waste his (any) talent for free and actually make some money in Europe.

As for Koufos I don't consider him "European" center because he is basically American, born and raised, learned basketball in the US and is already in the NBA, so people know him.

As for Shermandini it is still way too early to even talk about NBA right now. But he is extremely talented.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

Lakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputationLakas Fan Yo has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
I don't think Glyniadakis is an NBA material. He himself believed it though and tried for it and actually made it for some games, but then he got a reality check and decided not to waste his (any) talent for free and actually make some money in Europe.

As for Koufos I don't consider him "European" center because he is basically American, born and raised, learned basketball in the US and is already in the NBA, so people know him.

As for Shermandini it is still way too early to even talk about NBA right now. But he is extremely talented.

I know what you mean about Koufos, but I looked at that people consider Galis European, so in that case so would Koufos be also.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Taras Bulba
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
I know what you mean about Koufos, but I looked at that people consider Galis European, so in that case so would Koufos be also.
You got a point. But Galis never played in the US professionally, plus he means quite a lot in the International level to European fans and especially to Greeks. Basketball became what it is today in Greece due to this guy. While Koufos hasn
t even played for the Greek senior NT.

By the way, I'm including Javtokas too in my original post.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

I forgot to mention Javtokas. I think he's about 27-29 age range though. He can play in the NBA though I think.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Another young promising lithuanian born talent is Motiejunas (213 cm height and 97 kg weight). He's beasting in Lithuanian league, averaging 21,4 points and 7,4 rebs, despite the fact that the level of his team and the league overall is quite suspicious. He is projected to be TOP 10 pick in 2010 NBA draft though, let's see how this kid develops
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
Another young promising lithuanian born talent is Motiejunas (213 cm height and 97 kg weight). He's beasting in Lithuanian league, averaging 21,4 points and 7,4 rebs, despite the fact that the level of his team and the league overall is quite suspicious. He is projected to be TOP 10 pick in 2010 NBA draft though, let's see how this kid develops

I saw him in the Nike Hoop Summit a few days ago, really impressive kid. I've seen a lot of Dirk comparisons, and I don't want to judge the comparison as far as playing style off of just one game that was basically an all-star game, but he's FAR more athletic than Dirk. I don't know if the 7' listing is legit, but he looks to be a solid 6'9 at least and the kid runs the floor like a gazelle. I'd like to see him against players who at least have experience beyond high school/AAU but he's a really intriguing guy.

And anyone with info give me Stanko Barac updates! All I can see is stats and boxscores, but he looks solid. Does he have a legitimate NBA future?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Jack
I hit open layups

Jack has an OK reputation so far

Stanko is way to soft for the NBA competition. He has a nice jump-shot tho.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
Lakas Fan Yo
Banned

I have to say that Bourousis and Shermadini are really guys that the NBA should be looking at.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
I forgot to mention Javtokas. I think he's about 27-29 age range though. He can play in the NBA though I think.
javtokas is a bit like biedrins. I think he is better in europe,he would be stupid to go to the nba,lets face it he went to pana and hardly got any time there.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: