Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation
Default Team USA resumes training on August 15---big news

Team USA resumes their training for the 2007 Olympic Qualifiers on August 15th, giving them an entire week to prep

Anyways, if you haven't followed some recent news, here it is:

1. Battier and Hinrich are out. Battier is out due to family reasons, I don't know Hinrichs. Two of the best defenders and 3 point shooters from last years world championships team are gone.

2. Nick Collison was added to the roster. Thank god USA Basketball finally did something right. 8-time USA Basketball veteran, great strength on the boards, and good passing skills. he's a much needed addition.

3. Varejao and Araujo might end up not playing for Brazil due to contract negotiations. Hopefully this ends up true.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Team USA resumes training on August 15---big news

nice news about nick collinson. ive been saying he belonged on the team since day one. and people have been laughing at me for that. here you go.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
Team USA resumes their training for the 2007 Olympic Qualifiers on August 15th, giving them an entire week to prep

Anyways, if you haven't followed some recent news, here it is:

1. Battier and Hinrich are out. Battier is out due to family reasons, I don't know Hinrichs. Two of the best defenders and 3 point shooters from last years world championships team are gone.

2. Nick Collison was added to the roster. Thank god USA Basketball finally did something right. 8-time USA Basketball veteran, great strength on the boards, and good passing skills. he's a much needed addition.

3. Varejao and Araujo might end up not playing for Brazil due to contract negotiations. Hopefully this ends up true.

I think that Battier and Hinrich would have been out anyway... Prince may be the next to have some family matter crop up.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Uhhh, they've been doing plenty right, and are headed int he right direction.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Uhhh, they've been doing plenty right, and are headed int he right direction.

Actually, they've still been doing plenty wrong, but that's for another thread
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

i never bought into "having role players". you just need allstar calibur guys that can handle that kind of ball (putting your ego aside basically and assuming a role).

With Jason Kidd distributing to Kobe and Melo (who should be Team USA's #1 and 2 options. both guys will give you 50% shooting) this team is going to be solid.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For some reason I cant make myself care too much about the team. I care as far as I will watch every single game and root for them to win...but the little day to day issues? Gets "eh" status. would have been nice to see Kirk though.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
With Jason Kidd distributing to Kobe and Melo (who should be Team USA's #1 and 2 options. both guys will give you 50% shooting) this team is going to be solid.
Thats what the coaches are hoping.

The whole practicing for a week and expecting to be ready is ridiculous.

Imagine if the USA really stinks it up and we don't even make the Olympics. :)
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Actually, they've still been doing plenty wrong, but that's for another thread
Name what they've been doing wrong, dumb ass. Just explain exactly. Because as far as everyone else is concerned ... bball experts and the like, they are all clearly headed int he right direction. Please do explain, seeing as how you should be the head of USA basketball and all ...

Kobe Bryant: HUGE upgrade
Deron Williams: HUGE upgrade
Jason Kidd: HUGE upgrade
Chauncey Billups: HUGE upgrade
Kevin Durant: HUGE upgrade

Coach K and the whole crew is headed in the right direction. Your boy toy Nick Collison will hardly be any difference maker in the FIBA. This statement alone makes me laugh.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
Name what they've been doing wrong, dumb ass. Just explain exactly. Because as far as everyone else is concerned ... bball experts and the like, they are all clearly headed int he right direction.

1. Practice time.

This summer, just half of the practice time compared to 2006. In a rebuilding/prep year like 2007, it should've been more important to really commit to a longer training camp in order to bring the entire roster up to speed on a coherent team offense/defense. Unless, of course, you want to go back to Coach K's brilliant decision of letting the superstars try and do everything. Most importantly, Colangelo should've set a longer training camp to develop team defense, probably our most important problem last summer. With less competition this summer, we could've used the additional time to give our entire roster more practice defensively. This way, we would have not only been more prepared for the 07 Qualifiers, but also for the 08 Olympics. Given the almost certain shifting around of rosters and the addition/subtraction of players for the Olympics, more training time THIS summer would have saved us alot of trouble next summer.

2. Not inviting Nick Collison in the first place. Maybe you missed it, but with Bosh struggling in the post last summer and on the bubble due for the final roster this summer to his foot injury, USA Basketball should have invited COllison in the first place in 2006. Again, Collison is one of the best fits for international play up front, and brings a specific skill set that can be utilized if coach K knew what he was doing. Then again, like last summer, I wouldn't be surprised if Coach K continues to play small ball and ride Lebron's nuts.

Quote:
Coach K and the whole crew is headed in the right direction

3. Unlikely. Given the even less amount of practice time, there is simply no way for Team USA to develop the type of chemistry needed. Their only saving grace is that the competition level is so low this summer that they will still probably win. And given this lack of time, Coach K just isn't able to develop the plays and defense needed to win on the large stage, like the Olympics. Things we should've done this summer could have carried over for next year, but now is unlikely.

Quote:
Kobe Bryant: HUGE upgrade
Deron Williams: HUGE upgrade
Jason Kidd: HUGE upgrade
Chauncey Billups: HUGE upgrade
Kevin Durant: HUGE upgrade
Kobe and Billups were already on the original squad, but weren't able to compete in the 06 Worlds due to various reasons. And Jason originally declined his invite, but called up Jerry Colangelo himself this year after watching the team struggle at the Worlds. Durant is completely unproven, and isn't even a lock for the final 12 in any stretch. Deron, Prince, and Miller were smart additions. However, like I said before, a guy like Miller should have been considered from the get go.

5. Practice quality is another big aspect that USA BAsketball should have worked out. This 10-man select team of youngsters is a good idea, but you can't have your Senior team only compete against these guys for one week and call it quits. First of all, this select team doesn't have jack sh&t experience when it comes to FIBA ball. Second of all, I highly doubt that PJ Carlesimo is going to get these guys to play a zone of a quality that Team USA is going to encounter during the Qualifiers. The select team is a good idea of getting youngsters involved in USA basketball in the future, but its not a new idea in any sense.

A better idea would have been for USA BAsketball to set up another exhibtiion game schedule, much like last year. Playing international teams like Lithuania, Brazil, PR, hell even Venezuela before the actual competition is a hell of a lot more useful than playing against 10 young NBA players you just got together last week. Not only does the Senior team get more experience against zones, they also get more experience learning the nuances of the international game (like the cylinder rule, timeout rules, etc). USA Basketball did this last year, but they wasted their time playing against joke teams like China and South Korea. It's unfortunate they didn't do it again this year.

Probably the bottom line is that these were the SAME problems that USA Basketball needed to address last year when they first created the National Team system. Practice time, practice quality, developing team defense/offense, etc...have still not been addressed in an adequate manner.

Last edited by AppleNader : 08-13-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

Looks like Nene will be playing for Brazil after all. Dunno if people know this or not..

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...670383,00.html
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #12
K.Koscik
KobendLebronRBothGood

K.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected posterK.Koscik is a pretty well-respected poster

Guys im really new to this World Basketball thing. Can someone explain how this all works?

Obviously im wrong but I'd see the roster like

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Lebron James
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Amare Stoudemire or a good Center idk

Could someone explain all this to me? Sorry if i seem like an idiot but googling it isn't helping.
K.Koscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Koscik
Guys im really new to this World Basketball thing. Can someone explain how this all works?

Could someone explain all this to me? Sorry if i seem like an idiot but googling it isn't helping.

first of all steve nash is not american.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:25 AM   #14
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Koscik

First of all, Nash is canadian.
Secondly, players are sent invites and can either deny or accept the invitation, but even then Team USA will make final cuts. Duncan has already stated that he doesn't want to play in international ball anymore because of foul trouble.
Thirdly, Team chemistry. For LeBron James to succeed, he needs crappy players around him, not good players.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

Are the scrimmages against the youngsters televised?
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: