Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #16
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: nba players (ex. josh childress) going back to school: wise or a waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Complete waste of time. NBA players will always be idiots. \

your mom goes to college
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #17
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: nba players (ex. josh childress) going back to school: wise or a waste of time?

are you guys serious? wow. i applaud that.

having abundant amount of money, playing in the nba, helping out family members are all things great, but what's after that? i'm glad he realizes that his soul purpose is worth more than dribbling a ball.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #18
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really respect this. Shows that Josh isn't just another dumb jock. He gets it. He realized he won't be 24 forever. He is preparing himself NOW for the inevitable. A lot of guys think that THEY will be the one defeat the aging cycle. Father time grabs EVERYONE. Josh wants to support himself and his family. He is taking advantage of a wonderful gift, and that is the free time and money to be able to go back to school and finish what he started.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #19
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

There is no reason to ever criticize an NBA player for wanting to go back and finish school.

I have myself a very secure and good paying job and I have no college degree. I am only 40 units away from one and I haven't been to school in over 2 years...however, I WILL get that degree one day because it would be a big accomplishment and I know it would make my mom very happy and even more proud of me. Even though I will likely never use that degree for any job purposes.

Props to Josh and all the professional athletes out there who have all the money they need but still want to go back and educate themselves
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #20
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool

I have a lot of respect for NBA players who go back to get an education. There's a lot of things you learn in college, not just the subjects you're taking. It helps improve players' maturity, and puts things in perspective since they're just another student among tens of thousands, rather than a star in a league of maybe 400.

Most of all, I like the fact that they're proving wrong the stereotype of African-American athletes being uneducated gangsters and thugs. Society can have stupid biases sometimes, and while people may not say it out loud, the belief in stereotypes is definitely there. I have tremendous respect for players who break the mold and prove that there's more to them than just money and basketball.

And hasn't anyone seen Coach Carter?
3stat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #21
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

VC has a degree, he missed practice to recieve it.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #22
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's best to study now while your brain is at its peak...
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #23
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Id like to quote Paul Simon:

"When I think back of all the crap I learned in Highschool,its a wonder I can think at all."

You don`t need to go to school to expand your mind...

i think that reading actually expands one's mind

college facilitates reading books that we normally would not have chosen for ourselves. one can then develop in ways that wouldnt happen by our own resources

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 08-19-2007 at 11:10 PM.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #24
jasonterry
Banned

jasonterry has an OK reputation so far

Paul Simon is an idiot. You'll notice that the people with low intelligence are always the ones who think college is a waste of time
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #25
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Id like to quote Paul Simon:

"When I think back of all the crap I learned in Highschool,its a wonder I can think at all."

You don`t need to go to school to expand your mind...

College >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> High school.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #26
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonterry
Paul Simon is an idiot. You'll notice that the people with low intelligence are always the ones who think college is a waste of time

i was going to mention something similiar: our opinion for the nba stars is usually how we think about education for ourselves
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #27
liverandonions
HERD is the WORD

liverandonions has decent reputation

School is for suckaz

Gangstaz don't need no education
liverandonions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #28
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
I have a lot of respect for NBA players who go back to get an education. There's a lot of things you learn in college, not just the subjects you're taking. It helps improve players' maturity, and puts things in perspective since they're just another student among tens of thousands, rather than a star in a league of maybe 400.

Most of all, I like the fact that they're proving wrong the stereotype of African-American athletes being uneducated gangsters and thugs. Society can have stupid biases sometimes, and while people may not say it out loud, the belief in stereotypes is definitely there. I have tremendous respect for players who break the mold and prove that there's more to them than just money and basketball.

And hasn't anyone seen Coach Carter?

Man you stole my words before I even thought them up.
I agree. The value of higher education should rarely be questioned, and its great to see an NBA player breaking the stereotype and going for his education. That's a huge part of the reason why I still respect Shaq as a person despite my Laker fan bitterness towards him, and his often immature attitude.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #29
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

It's not a waste of time if they have plans for what they are going to do when they leave the NBA. If he actually wants to have a job when he leaves the NBA that is related to his major, it's a good idea.

If there are no plans to work after retirement, it is kind of a waste of time. With the economy as violatile as it is and with the amount of money these guys spends, it would be in their best interests to have a plan for after basketball.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote