Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default I'm now 100 % sure that the Miami Dallas series was rigged.

Just think about it..
Dallas up 2:0. They have the series in the back of their pocket.
They're a better team and everyone expects them to win.

But the beauty part is..no one in the world expects Miami to turn it around at that point.

And just think of the money. If you at that point bet on Miami you could've earned yourself a fortune.
Hard to say what the odds were like but I'm sure money was great if you put some money on Miami at that point.

I'm not usually into conspiracy theories and no, this isn't a knock on Wade. I think he showed character and I applaud his heroic performance.
He took it upon himself and led his team to a ring but we all know that refereeing was absolutely out of control and now we know why.

Seriously, if you put like 10k on Miami after they were down 2:0 I think you easily could've won like 200k or something.
Sorry, I'm not into betting so I'm not sure about the odds and all that stuff.
I only bet a few times in my life, one time I put $5 on something and made like $1000 but that was it.
I'm not into it at all.

However, put the pieces together. The profit from betting on Miami was amazing and I'm sure the refs took advantage of it.

It's hard for me to buy into conspiracy theories but this one sounds just about right.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I'm now 100 % sure that the Miami Dallas series was rigged.

IMO, if it was rigged, it was for some other reasons.
there are much easier ways to make profit on betting. affecting the outcome of nba finals, and not just one game, but whole series, would be far too risky.

as you probably read, tim donaghy & co. were working with point totals. it's the way referee can win himself and others big money while not really affecting final outcome of the game. if they were afraid to set up regular season games, why would anyone try with nba finals? many people would have to be in that, not just one or two officials.
and reward probably wouldn't come close to the risk and effort involved.

setting up the finals itself? now THAT would be a blow nba could possibly have a hard time recovering. and what would happen to the individuals involved?
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

reason is clear : old refs simply love the older team... they know the Heat team is filled with retiring veterens looking for a ring... GP... Toine... Mourning... and Shaq was the one who wanted them to the Heat... and the refs gave Shaq "face" by letting them win the title... but not without D-Wade's effort though... it was rigged... sort of... but only to a certain extent...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

I guess with the recent refereeing scandal a lot of older things have to come under doubt, its tough to say whether it has been rigged, it does seem pretty perfect, but it could just be a coincidence.

If it were true, then the effects will be catastrophic.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

did the mob pay Dirk to choke?
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3

MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Lebron23
Banned

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

:) Dirk Might Choke twice in the NBA playoffs but according to Mr. Nowitzki team Germany will qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

By the way it was actually Mark Cuban under a facial mask who actually played in the 2006 NBA Finals.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

Just a few notes, from a FAIR POV because obviously everyone else just jumps on the "it's fun to rag on someone" bandwagon....

1: Dirk didn't choke. I'm not gonna pull a Loki and post exact numbers down to the decimal points, but it wasn't like he stunked it up. Did Dirk not exchange buckets with Wade down the stretch in game 5? Didn't Dirk hit that J over Shaq with like 13 seconds to go to give the Mavs the lead in, I forgot, either game 5 or 6?

2: What everyone overlooks or ignores is the fact that Miami was A STACKED TEAM. Their backup center would average 4.5 blocks a game if he got starter minutes and have 7 to 8 guys who would definitely start on at least 70% of the other teams in the league. Just because Miami UNDERACHIEVED in the regular season, people forgot that before the season... they were the favorites to win the East and that if you look at the roster on paper, Heat definitely has a talent/skill/star advantage over the Mavs.

And for the record, I'm not a Dirk fan. I'm one of the very first guy to always put the clown Mavs fans back in their place when they make BS claim like "Dirk is on Duncan's level". But I have no idea how Dirk suddenly gets this reputation as a choker even thuogh he's had more playoffs success and hit more big shots in the playoffs than McGrady, Vince, Melo combined. And guys like Paul Pierce, KG, Iverson and Ray Allen, would kill to be able to play 10-12 playoff games every year because those cats are used to seeing maybe 5 games max in the post season every freaking year.

Dirk choked against Golden State, but he's been getting bshed for choking dating back to the 06 finals... why? Wade played at a superhuman level AND he was getting ticky tack calls.... not to mention Wade has more HELP AROUND him than Dirk has... so you guys can't use some common sense, and look at those factors, and not make such a huge deal about Dirk losing to Wade?

Could Dirk have done better? Yes. But how the hell did he "choke"?

Dirk's been on several 60 win teams and gone as far as WCF twice, and in other years he's murdered the KG Wolves, the Blazers, beat Spurs in game 7 on their home court, etc, etc, but yet Dirk is a CHOKER. And then I have to sit here and watch the Iverson, Kobe,Pierce and Tmac fans make excuses for their star every year becaus their asses lead their teams to like, 43 wins and a second round exit at best year after year...."THEY HAVE NO HELP! THEY PLAY WITH CBA PLAYERS! Give them Duncan's roster and they go all the way!!"
:rollingeyes:

(and no, those guys wouldn't win it all even with Duncan's roster. Duncan should slap all y'all for constantly underrating him and taking away his achievements and act like he has a 86 Celtics or 87 Lakers supporting cast around him)

Last edited by EricForman : 08-18-2007 at 10:02 AM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

Saturday morning. im not going to read Eric's newest thesis paper.

just stop, man. Dirk choked. about to have a 3-0 lead and you lose 4-2. that's choking. youre the sole star of that team so thats choking. a lot of great stars choke in the playoffs year in and year out. just accept it and move on.

time to go wash the cars!
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

did the mob pay Wade to leave the game in a wheelchair ???
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

This was the most poorly officiated series I remember but I really doubt it has to do w/ the ref scandal. Most of the calls could have gone either way kinda and people are going to be bringing the ref scandal into everything. We're not even sure it extended past donaghy yet so hold on with the accusations
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

Quote:
Saturday morning. im not going to read Eric's newest thesis paper.

just stop, man. Dirk choked. about to have a 3-0 lead and you lose 4-2. that's choking. youre the sole star of that team so thats choking. a lot of great stars choke in the playoffs year in and year out. just accept it and move on.

time to go wash the cars!

Yeah... don't bother reading my points and then just dismissing it with your claims with no backup... Great idea.

Last edited by EricForman : 08-18-2007 at 11:04 AM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Quote:

kinda... the mob had a little bet with Mark Cuban... if Dirk hits the game-winner Mark loses a quarter... if Dirk chokes... the mob would have to pay a quarter... that's pretty much it...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
poeticism707
Local High School Star

poeticism707 has no real reputation yet.

The Foreman is absolutely correct. Let's enumerate the major points:

1. The Mavs were robbed in the 2006 finals, and it was so obvious it was embarrasing. However, the Mavs undoubtedly benefited from questionable officiating against the Spurs in the semis (see free throw totals, dubious fouls on Duncan at critical junctures, etc).

-In the 2006 Finals, Dirk didn't choke, the Mavs did. In 2007 against Golden State, the both Dirk AND the Mavs choked. It seems they were all collectively embarrased about GSW fighting to win, and played as they needed to beat GS by 30ppg to earn respect. This obviously didn't happen, and their confidence plummeted (for the Spurs this is called a "grind it out" game, and they're great at it: Dallas can play SAS this way, but were embarrased to play GS this way!) They had become prisoners to their regular season success: anything less than domination and perfection and they would fall apart (which they did).

-Dirk lost in the first round (granted he did choke against GS). Shaq is the most swept player in NBA playoff history. D-Whistle, last year's Finals MVP, was swept as well. Why do they get a pass, and in the weaker East as well? Injuries or no, stepping on the court means stepping into expectations. Hold them all accountable: don't give Shaq, Wade, Mello, etc. free passes, and string Dirk up for his failures (who has more success than all but 2-3 leading men in the league, Duncan and Shaq, maybe Billups.)

-Dirk is NOT on Duncan's level. If he wins the next 3 titles and finals and finals mvps, he still won't be. And that is huge "IF."
poeticism707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

I think some calls were definitely tampered with, but Dirk still choked though.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: