Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Phenom has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Michael Vick is in deep...

Not saying he is, but hypothetically if he did get 3 years you might as well say his days in the league are done. To take off for 3 years and come back at a professional level? Especially his style of play that depends purely on his athleticism? Nah, you can say that's a wrap. Maybe if he was a qb with sound fundamentals, then after a little rust he'd be able to shake it off. But the dropoff from virtually being non competitive (I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'll be at least smart enough NOT to play prison football) would be too steep. Could you imagine him trying to play basketball, let alone football in there? If he thought guys like Ray Lewis were nasty? whooo

His days as the flash would be over. But believe you me, even if he did do jail time, some team would give him a chance. "Oh he's a new man....he's done his time, paid for his mistakes.....Everyone deserves a second chance..." Doesn't hurt when you're a Pro Bowl dynamo either.
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think that Vick comes from a culture where dogfighting is an acceptable recreational activity. Near where I live, dogfighting is going on for damn sure. It's a rampant activity, but only brought up because of the celebrity involved with this. Vick grew up in some tough circumstances. Certainly not an excuse for his actions, but what's barbaric to you and I may not be to him. However, you just gotta have the common sense to drop that sh!t and not throw your reputation out the window. Stop hanging out with losers, give up things that can potentially end your career, and live up to the responsibility that comes with being a professional athlete. However, it's tough to cure someone of this type of cruelty. It's in his DNA. Give me a quarterback with a drug addiction any day. There are programs in place to cure people of those problems, but not for cruelty problems.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

my dad and i were talking about this last night, he's an attorney... i asked him "what the hold up on the plea is, it can't be that complicated right?" he said no it's a straight forward process that really should'nt require 13 hours of negotiations between the feds and vicks attorneys... my dad feels that the hold up is time to be served on the charges he pleas to... the rest of the stuff is so slam dunk usually, that that's all it really can be
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
Out Of Shape
Banned

Out Of Shape has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
my dad feels that the hold up is time to be served on the charges he pleas to... the rest of the stuff is so slam dunk usually, that that's all it really can be

I don't even need an attorney dad to know that. I heard the same thing on 3 different sport's radio shows this morning.
Out Of Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I think that Vick comes from a culture where dogfighting is an acceptable recreational activity. Near where I live, dogfighting is going on for damn sure. It's a rampant activity, but only brought up because of the celebrity involved with this. Vick grew up in some tough circumstances. Certainly not an excuse for his actions, but what's barbaric to you and I may not be to him. However, you just gotta have the common sense to drop that sh!t and not throw your reputation out the window. Stop hanging out with losers, give up things that can potentially end your career, and live up to the responsibility that comes with being a professional athlete. However, it's tough to cure someone of this type of cruelty. It's in his DNA. Give me a quarterback with a drug addiction any day. There are programs in place to cure people of those problems, but not for cruelty problems.

I think its easy to overcome the lifestyle of dog fighting over a drug addiction. Vick doesnt neglect dogs all the time if that makes sense. Meaning he has a dog liscence and is a breeder. He raises/sells dogs which is weird/funny because on one end he is animal care by day and animal cruelty by night. Jeckle & Hyde. His fascination with dog fighting may never sway/change but his involvement most definately would. Drug addict? Might not, you're due to see relaspes, regression. Vick's upbringing is no excuse...this is basically him being apart/involved in something that where he grew up, the people he hung with did. Clinton Portis said "I dont see the big deal, i can show you where dog fighting goes on in the backwoods". So its more of a culture thing or i dunno what to call it...a hobby that some people take too? Either way after this drama Vick would change imo. He may not see it as barbaric or disgusting as others but he will acknowledge that putting himself back in that position/situation just aint worth it financially, emotionally and physically. He is watching the results of these actions. Endorsements pull back, potential suspension (without pay on the horizon), jail time, fines, negative rep that could follow him for a long time (like Ray Lewis being labelled a murderer has).

I think he'll bounce back.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #21
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I think its easy to overcome the lifestyle of dog fighting over a drug addiction. Vick doesnt neglect dogs all the time if that makes sense. Meaning he has a dog liscence and is a breeder. He raises/sells dogs which is weird/funny because on one end he is animal care by day and animal cruelty by night. Jeckle & Hyde. His fascination with dog fighting may never sway/change but his involvement most definately would. Drug addict? Might not, you're due to see relaspes, regression. Vick's upbringing is no excuse...this is basically him being apart/involved in something that where he grew up, the people he hung with did. Clinton Portis said "I dont see the big deal, i can show you where dog fighting goes on in the backwoods". So its more of a culture thing or i dunno what to call it...a hobby that some people take too? Either way after this drama Vick would change imo. He may not see it as barbaric or disgusting as others but he will acknowledge that putting himself back in that position/situation just aint worth it financially, emotionally and physically. He is watching the results of these actions. Endorsements pull back, potential suspension (without pay on the horizon), jail time, fines, negative rep that could follow him for a long time (like Ray Lewis being labelled a murderer has).

I think he'll bounce back.

Talk about learning things the hard way. He is lucky to live in such a forgiving country, though. I have mentioned in other posts that no other team is gonna give him a chance. Lemme retract that statement. His athleticism is too tantalizing. I wouldn't give him that chance if I were an owner, but many of them have a different mindset than myself. They are in it to make money and Vick would sell tickets. People hate Bonds, yet they still show up. This would be the same thing. It would be a huge distraction, though, and it would take quite the maverick owner to give him that chance........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom
Not saying he is, but hypothetically if he did get 3 years you might as well say his days in the league are done. To take off for 3 years and come back at a professional level? Especially his style of play that depends purely on his athleticism? Nah, you can say that's a wrap. Maybe if he was a qb with sound fundamentals, then after a little rust he'd be able to shake it off. But the dropoff from virtually being non competitive (I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'll be at least smart enough NOT to play prison football) would be too steep. Could you imagine him trying to play basketball, let alone football in there? If he thought guys like Ray Lewis were nasty? whooo

His days as the flash would be over. But believe you me, even if he did do jail time, some team would give him a chance. "Oh he's a new man....he's done his time, paid for his mistakes.....Everyone deserves a second chance..." Doesn't hurt when you're a Pro Bowl dynamo either.
-Why does that bring Oakland to mind?
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Because Oakland will always and forever be a haven for anything with talent. They're about as second class organization as they come. They'll never be able to turn that thing around as long as Al Davis is overseeing that team.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
lurch67

Quote:
Because Oakland will always and forever be a haven for anything with talent. They're about as second class organization as they come. They'll never be able to turn that thing around as long as Al Davis is overseeing that team.
Wow, we can agree on stuff. I'll try not to make a habit of it.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #25
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch67
Wow, we can agree on stuff. I'll try not to make a habit of it.

Even the sun shine's on a dog's @$$ every once in a while lurcho
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #26
lurch67

Quote:
Even the sun shine's on a dog's @$$ every once in a while lurcho
Too bad you live in a cave and avoid the light at all costs.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: