Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Beckham attracts 66,000 at the LA Galaxy vs. NY Red Bull game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
you are so very wrong...

millions play soccer

you have to be a freak athlete to play in the NFL

I am not going to argue this anymore with you...If you think that Beckham is more of an athlete than Owens then this conversation is pointless.

Good Point.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
you are so very wrong...

millions play soccer

you have to be a freak athlete to play in the NFL

I am not going to argue this anymore with you...If you think that Beckham is more of an athlete than Owens then this conversation is pointless.

b/c people know the sport is better.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #18
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
b/c people know the sport better.
fixed

I played soccer with friends as a kid....much easier to organize than a full contact football game.

more people play soccer for the simple fact that it is more convieniant.

you think that the schools in south america can afford Football pads?

I know that most of Europe can but don't the majority of players come from Brazil and other countries in South America?

at work I can look out my window and see that during lunch break there are mexican workers out there playing soccer with a goal made from 2 buckets set upside down to represent the posts.

most people from other countries have not been exposed to football in the same way that they have with soccer.

and the bottom line in reality there is no "better"...that is all a matter of opinion...and in my opinion soccer is boring as hell to watch.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
fixed

I played soccer with friends as a kid....much easier to organize than a full contact football game.

I know that most of Europe can but don't the majority of players come from Brazil and other countries in South America?

at work I can look out my window and see that during lunch break there are mexican workers out there playing soccer with a goal made from 2 buckets set upside down to represent the posts.

most people from other countries have not been exposed to football in the same way that they have with soccer.

and the bottom line in reality there is no "better"...that is all a matter of opinion...and in my opinion soccer is boring as hell to watch.

They come from a variety of places. Maybe the best come from south america/Brazil but there are still plenty good players from Europe.

Italy just won the world cup and there wasnt one south american team in the semi finals.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #20
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
fixed

IMHO, the main attraction of soccer is the building up of tension and finally releasing it when a goal is scored. You must've seen footage, even on the news when a football player scores a goal the whole stadium goes bananas.

A guy one year above mine once asked me when I was watching a basketball clip, "Why do you find basketball so fun, they score loads of baskets anyway?" Scoring a goal is waaay different than scoring a basket, or a touchdown (unless the defence is incredible good) or getting a run in baseball, it's the excitement that gets to the fans and keeps them going until the next game.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Out Of Shape
Banned

Out Of Shape has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I'm not even sure that most schools in Europe could afford it when they aren't used to contributing that much money to athletics. It's not just the hundreds of dollars per player spent just on safety gear, it's also the high insurance for a high injury sport, the fact that you need at least 3-4 coaches to train a team properly, and stuff like that. There are probably very few countries in the world that wouldn't balk at the cost of a nationwide football program. I also imagine Europe is too wussified to let students play such a violent sport. Do they have nationwide boxing and Rugby programs?
Out Of Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
... the greatest athletes in the world are found in the NFL..

Enough with this garbage.

These posts just underline the belief that Americans are vastly ignorant of anything outside their borders, or for Texans, anything outside their arid State (of mind).
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Enough with this garbage.

These posts just underline the belief that Americans are vastly ignorant of anything outside their borders, or for Texans, anything outside their arid State (of mind).
they also underline the fact that the world's greatest athletes are in the NFL.

tell me one soccer player more athletic than Bo Jackson please?

actually most people (sports writers) believe that boxing is the most athletic sport in the world...you have be extremely cordinated with both hands and you have to have amazing footwork as well....not to mention having to be in increadable shape and a great heart...and those athletes come from all over the world...so don't accuse me of not thinking outside of my own country please....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that T.O. is more athletic than David Beckham.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
they also underline the fact that the world's greatest athletes are in the NFL.

tell me one soccer player more athletic than Bo Jackson please?

actually most people (sports writers) believe that boxing is the most athletic sport in the world...you have be extremely cordinated with both hands and you have to have amazing footwork as well....not to mention having to be in increadable shape and a great heart...and those athletes come from all over the world...so don't accuse me of not thinking outside of my own country please....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that T.O. is more athletic than David Beckham.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist either to see David Beckham has done more with his sport than T.O. Not to mention being better in his sport than T.O.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #25
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
it doesnt take a rocket scientist either to see David Beckham has done more with his sport than T.O. Not to mention being better in his sport than T.O.
yeah, well Minnesota Fats did more for billiards than either T.O. or Beckham did for thier sports...what is your point?

should I bring up ping pong and curling as well?

the fact that Beckham is considered good looking and is married to a celeb is why Beckham is popular...not his skills

and by the way.....T.O. is a top 10 WR of all time and a first ballot Hall of Famer...Beckham is no where close to a top 10 all time....he isn't even top 20 RIGHT NOW.

get off his dick
Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #26
thekavorka
Good High School Starter

thekavorka has an OK reputation so far

You'd have to be blind to think that football players are not more athletically gifted than soccer players. You can't deny that football players of a comparable size to soccer players are stronger and faster.

You have to be a physical freak in order to play in the NFL.

Now, that does not mean it takes more skill to be a football player than a soccer player. Skill is something that is more subjective. Personally, I think it takes more practice and "skill" to be a world class soccer player.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #27
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekavorka
You'd have to be blind to think that football players are not more athletically gifted than soccer players. You can't deny that football players of a comparable size to soccer players are stronger and faster.

You have to be a physical freak in order to play in the NFL.

Now, that does not mean it takes more skill to be a football player than a soccer player. Skill is something that is more subjective. Personally, I think it takes more practice and "skill" to be a world class soccer player.
it depends on the position...

barry sanders had more skill than beckham

anyway you look at it the NFL has the most athletic humans on the planet
Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
it depends on the position...

barry sanders had more skill than beckham

anyway you look at it the NFL has the most athletic humans on the planet

I would say Olympic track athletes are more athletic than 99% of NFL players.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I would say Olympic track athletes are more athletic than 99% of NFL players.
wtf?

they are like 110 lbs.

and all they do is run...

do you know what an athlete is?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #30
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
wtf?

they are like 110 lbs.

and all they do is run...

do you know what an athlete is?

Are you that naive or just stupid?

He sure looks like a 110 lb. jogger to me :rollingeyes:

Not to mention Olympic lifters who can clean, snatch, deadlift, and squat hundreds of pounds more than NFL athletes and yet have 43'' verticals. That's an athlete, not some guy who can run a straight line really fast and catch a ball.

Last edited by Randy : 08-22-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: