Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Tru Baller 209
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Tru Baller 209 has an OK reputation so far
Default Jared Jeffries

I read an article today that said that Jared Jeffries has been working out close to 6 hours a day, 6 days a week this summer. The article went as far as to say that he will be one of the biggest surprises this season. Remember Jared Jeffries is a player that was a projected lottery pick and led his team, Indiana to the final four. We all know he had a horrible year, but I have tracked his career from his days in Washington and I feel that he is exactly the kind of player we need on the roster and play significant minutes. Many of you have him at the very bottom of your depth charts, but if this Ron Artest deal goes down, I think Jared Jeffries is the consensus back up small forward, since Renaldo balkman most likely will be gone in the deal. Jared can spend some time as a third string powerforward behind Zack Randolph and David Lee and at back up center ahead of Randolph Morris who isn't ready yet and Jerome James, who is just terrible. In his last year in Washington he played some of the best ball I've seen out of a role player in the league. On a Monday, he'd guard Lebron or Tracy. On a tuesday he'd guard Yao Ming or Kevin Garnett. He has the capability to guard just about every star player that is not a point guard. He is not a lock down defender, but given his wingspan and suprising lateral quickness, he is able to beat players to the spot and make shots difficult given his long wingspan. He has long arms to get defelections and with work he should have the capability to be a great weak side blocker. He is also capable of being a high entry pass into the post for Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry, making it much easier to get them the ball. Please don't judge him by the offensive side of the ball, that is not where his value lies, but if you talk to any head coach in the NBA, they all would like to have at least one player like Jared on the team with his kind of defensive versatility, commitment to the team, and locker room presence.
Tru Baller 209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jared Jeffries

jared jeffries was horrible last year though. he really has to stand out in camp to get minutes next season. personally i want to see balkman play more. i think he can do all the things that jeffries can do but balkman is more of a physical player, and he plays with a lot of heart.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All i remember last was Jared played like garbage.

Part of it may be due to his injury he had at the start of the season.

Although his type of game style should not have been as affected as it was.

BTW, why is it that every thread has something to do with Ron Artest????

Geez, us Knick fans for the most part don't want him, and truly don't think the Knicks even need him.

Lay off it......
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

I'm glad jeffries been working on his game, I think if he's working that hard and he gets his shooting better he can fill in that small foward role.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
I'm glad jeffries been working on his game, I think if he's working that hard and he gets his shooting better he can fill in that small foward role.

yea. but he's not stupid tho. he knows that if he's going to play he needs to really stand out in camp.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
mr. chew
I hit open layups

mr. chew has an OK reputation so far

i dont want artest if we have to give up lee or balkman.

id rather see balkman turn into out defensive stopper than have artest here because there really isnt enough balls to go around.

as for JJ, lets hope he has a better season than last. isiah won't give up on him simply because they went to the same school, indiana. with a team of strictly offense, it would be a breath of fresh air to keep some of our defenders around, and JJ can definitely help.
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
spree8149
I airball my layups

spree8149 has an OK reputation so far

im sorry but i just dont see it. jeffries is horrible, hes going to get some pt just b/c isiah will want to see what he can do. idk how people consider jeffries as a center he cant even play pf, hes too skinny.
spree8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Big C
I brick open layups

Big C has an OK reputation so far

I would rather see what Chandler can do instead of Jeffries. Chandler can shoot and rebound. Jeffries is trying to learn who to shoot. Chandler also can really play defense.
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

Why do people think of him as a 3? Who deos he match well against as a 3?

I see him more as a 4/5 when the team wants to run.

I think he can outplay or negate a lot of 4/5's in the league in an up tempo game for a short period of time, which is all he should play. At the 3 he is a liability.

He's 6'11".........that's a 4/5 unless he has freakish skills which he does not.

Use him situationally when the team wants to run with a lineup of high energy players to matchup against another teams second line. They could out score them really fast and make the coach put in his starters sooner than he wants to. Especially if they are an older team.....wear them out and go wild at the end of the game.

That's how you win. Not by playing a liability at the 3.

Does that make sense?
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

If only he can learn how to hit an open 18footer...
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
Tru Baller 209
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Tru Baller 209 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman

I think he can outplay or negate a lot of 4/5's in the league in an up tempo game for a short period of time, which is all he should play. At the 3 he is a liability.

He's 6'11".........that's a 4/5 unless he has freakish skills which he does not.

Use him situationally when the team wants to run with a lineup of high energy players to matchup against another teams second line. They could out score them really fast and make the coach put in his starters sooner than he wants to. Especially if they are an older team.....wear them out and go wild at the end of the game.

Does that make sense?

To be honest I understand exactly what you are saying. I think he is leap and bounds ahead of Jerome James at back up 5. He is also ahead of Randolph Morris because he still needs time to develop. However part of being a 3 is having that omnipresence on the court, paticularly coming from the weak side of the defense for blocks. Quite similar to what Andrei Kirilenko did for the Jazz. I'm not saying Jared Jeffries is as good as Andrei Kirilenko, but I think Jared Jeffries is capable at playing at the level that Andrei Kirilenko played for Jerry Sloan last year, especially against other back up small forwards.
Tru Baller 209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
j Fresh
Local High School Star

j Fresh has an OK reputation so far

I liked him better in Washington. He was nice back there, he should have stayed.

He ain't going to be no all-star, so why even try?
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

still got hope for him and think he can turn into a good player for us, however he will have a hard time gettin minutes. and a few people talking about him playing the 4/5..huh? he isnt big enough to play those positions. and his strength is his perimeter defense not his post defense
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
HoopNightmare
I brick open layups

HoopNightmare has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman

Does that make sense?

JJ is a 3/4. A bootleg version of Lamar Odom. That's all he is. Average at everthing but good at nothing.

6 hours a day 6 days a week should help him!
HoopNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

I think he's big enough to play the 4/5.

He's 6'11"........he has the height and wing span plus he's not skinny like a Camby so why play him at the 3?

The minutes at the 3 are going to Q first then Balkman then Chandler, if he can play which I think he can.

Q can't see big minutes, maybe 25 a game. So Balkman will see as many as he can, but he doesn't really shoot well. Since we might see Q even at the 2 depending on how things work out and injuries that would give Balkman more time and the need for Chandlers scoring ability becomes more important.

So why would we need another no shot 3? We have a guy who can do the job in Balkman and a scoring 3 off the bench in Chandler.

They even mentioned Lee at the 3 which is not going to happen too often especially if Chandler see minutes.

So we are back to Jefferies and he will see minutes at the 4 and 5 because Morris isn't ready yet and James is useless.

Does that make sense?
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: