Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Australia

Been thinking on moving there a lot lately.

Anyone ever been there? Live there? What is it like?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Default Re: Australia

i don't know what it's like there, but i would love to move there as well. so much cool stuff to see and do.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Darsh
Good college starter

Come to Melbourne. Its a great place, i wouldnt wanna live anywhere else in the world (as biased as that comment may be).

Though if you're looking for a nice warm place all year round, the Gold Coast/Bisbane is probably more your cup of tea. But Melbourne is brilliant outside of winter.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Thanks for the info.

What's winter like? I'm from Cape Breton, so I can handle just about everything winter-wise.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
Darsh
Good college starter

Not too bad. Especially if you are used to cold weather. Every other season is pretty good though so no complaints from me.

Summer is particularly hot too, just the way i like it.

How old are you? And what attracts you to Australia in the first place?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
PrinceOthaPalace
I hit open layups

i visited sydney about a month ago i would consider livin there myself so i would recommend it
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh
Not too bad. Especially if you are used to cold weather. Every other season is pretty good though so no complaints from me.

Summer is particularly hot too, just the way i like it.

How old are you? And what attracts you to Australia in the first place?

Man, I was in Melbourne last year in Summer, and I froze my ass off. Didn't pack a jumper because I thought it'd be like Brisbane, but your top is like 22 degrees on a good day.

Anyway, Chamberlain, if you're looking for a good place all around, Brisbane is the best city. Winters aren't overly cold, and summers are the best in the world. The Gold Coast (Which is a HUGE attraction/city here) is the most lively place during summer, and the people are all generally great. I hope I convinced you.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Darsh
Good college starter

Well either way, both are great places.

EDIT: For the good of discussing Australia and its strong points, i guess its worth discussing the strengths of each of our main city.

Melbourne is often voted as the Worlds most livable city. It is also frequently referred to as the "sporting and cultural capital" of Australia.

It is the home of the AFL(*waits for AtTheDrive-In to say how crap AFL is, when it is not at all). It also hosts the Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend each year, as well as the Australian Open of Tennis. Furthermore, it hosts the Spring and Autumn Racing Carnivals (which i personally love!).

On top of that, it is definitely more advanced than Brisbane, but thats not necessarily what Chamberlain is looking for, as he might be seeking a more relaxed lifestyle (though, either way im sure everywhere in Australia would be a slower pace than the US).

Last edited by Darsh : 08-21-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

for sheer beauty, you can't go past sydney.
now, melbourne is certainly a more culturally vibrant place, but it doesn't hold a candle to sydney in terms of aesthetics.

brisbane is ok, but way too dull for my tastes.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

I have some relatives in Melbourne but last time I saw them was like 10 years ago.
I'm down with Australia though. Looks like a great place but seriously, how likely is that I ever move anywhere? lol.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh
It is the home of the AFL(*waits for at the drive-in the say how crap AFL is, when it is not at all). It also hosts the Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend each year, as well as the Australian Open of Tennis. Furthermore, it hosts the Spring and Autumn Racing Carnivals (which i personally love!).

When have I ever said how crap AFL is? I think you're mistaking me. I used to play AFL, but now stick just soley to basketball. Remember, we had an argument over who the better team was. I'm the Carlton supporter, lol.

Anyway, since we're going into this. Why not give a little detail about Brisbane.

Well, although we might not be as lively as some other cities, we're definitely a lively city. Sunnybank, in the heart of Brisbane is ALWAYS packed with tourists, and other stuff like that. We have the three most famous theme parks in Australia, all 20kms away from each other (That's Movie World, Dream World, Sea World) + there's Wet'N'Wild, the biggest Water park in Australia. We also have Suncorp Stadium, which holds most Australian Rugby Matches, and football matches.

The Gold Coast, as mentioned before, is one of the best features about Brisbane. If you're into living near the coastline and the beach, then the Gold Coast is the place for you. Every summer, that place is packed because of tourism and other things. Whoever said Brisbane wasn't a lively place is completely wrong. We just have a much smaller population then a few of the other big cities.

Also, Logan (where I live) is one of the fastest growing regions in all of Australia.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Dude! Don't sell out on Cape Breton!

We all know Sydney, NS >> Sydney, Australia :)

Seriously though, Australia is a very attractive choice, if I had to choose a non-Canadian country to live in, It'd probably be Oz, are maybe New Zealand.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Darsh
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
When have I ever said how crap AFL is? I think you're mistaking me. I used to play AFL, but now stick just soley to basketball. Remember, we had an argument over who the better team was. I'm the Carlton supporter, lol.

My apologies. Im the Collingwood supporter, therefor making us immediate enemies. But i like to keep my enemies close, so i encourage further conversation.

Quote:
Anyway, since we're going into this. Why not give a little detail about Brisbane.

Well, although we might not be as lively as some other cities, we're definitely a lively city. Sunnybank, in the heart of Brisbane is ALWAYS packed with tourists, and other stuff like that. We have the three most famous theme parks in Australia, all 20kms away from each other (That's Movie World, Dream World, Sea World) + there's Wet'N'Wild, the biggest Water park in Australia. We also have Suncorp Stadium, which holds most Australian Rugby Matches, and football matches.

The Gold Coast, as mentioned before, is one of the best features about Brisbane. If you're into living near the coastline and the beach, then the Gold Coast is the place for you. Every summer, that place is packed because of tourism and other things. Whoever said Brisbane wasn't a lively place is completely wrong. We just have a much smaller population then a few of the other big cities.

Also, Logan (where I live) is one of the fastest growing regions in all of Australia.

Man, i love those theme parks. I need to go on holidays more often. Melbourne has Luna Park , what a joke of a theme park that is.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Dude! Don't sell out on Cape Breton!

We all know Sydney, NS >> Sydney, Australia :)

Seriously though, Australia is a very attractive choice, if I had to choose a non-Canadian country to live in, It'd probably be Oz, are maybe New Zealand.

Haha, not sellin out man, just need a change. Sydney gets repetitive after 20 years.

Darsh, to answer you I'm 20 years old and I work at one of Canada's top summer resorts, and it's also in the top100 in the world.. so I meet a lot of tourists and just the stories I've heard about Australia + the fact I wanted to go overseas for awhile now, just seems like a good choice.

I'm not talking about a permanantly living there.. probably take a year off school and live there for about a year, but if I really liked it I would probably wanna move back for good after grauduation.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: