Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default Brevin Knight?

ok im pretty sure that brevin knight is still either a free agent or looking to be traded and i personally think he'd be a pretty good fit for a nash backup, i have not seen him play too much this past season, mainly because he plays for the bobcats and who really saw them that much anyways, but he was third or fourth in assists overall this season i think and apparently is a fairly good defender for his height, tell me your thoughts or corrections cuz im not 100 percent on all this, but i still think if we're lookin for a good back up to take brevin
STATfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Brevin would be a great backup for Nash. He has great passing skills and is a decent defender. I agree with you that he would be a great backup point guard.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
The Real GM
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Exclamation

Yeah, he would be a great back up for nash. He could play 15-18 minutes a night and keep the tempo the suns like. He's quick and sets up his guys well. Steve Blake from Portland would be another good point guard i would look at. He shoots well, is quick and has good size. He'd also be a great backup for nash.
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default good call real GM

i like steve blake as well, plus he lit us up one night and looked great doing it, not that thats alot to say about playing for portland but i think youre right on the money and hes younger as well, plus with all the crazy stuff goin on in portland we might be able to snag him but i havent heard anything at all whatsoever about that happening besides you and me wishing it to happen haha
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
The Real GM
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Exclamation My suns offseason plan

Now that the draft is over and free agency is well underway, I think i have an idea on what the suns need to become a complete championship team. They have 7 or maybe 8 players who will play everynight under contract if you count james jones. They have a trade exception, a midlevel exception and a couple million dollars that they saved by trading draft picks to try to sign tim thomas back, so i would sign guys to shorter contracts so the suns are not capped out in the future but i would not just sign "scrubs". First, they need a back up point guard to play every night and i would use the trade exception to get that because there is nobody on the market who could fill that void and play the suns style. I only like Steve Blake or Brevin Knight because they are fast and are good distributors. They are both under contract for another year and are not too expensive for their value. This would allow nash to rest more in ther regular season and not have to play 40 min a night in the playoffs. Then, they need a backup forward/center who brings energy and a little scoring. I would look at Darius Songaila for some of the mid level (maybe 3 million). He would be a good big man to spread the floor and spell kt and amare. (and still good enough to play 12-15 min in the playoffs). If not, you could look at Jackie Butler because he's big, defends the post and is a good rebounder. Hopefully you can get one of these guys using some of your midlevel. I also think it would be good to get another veteran scorer off the bench for a low contract like eddie house or more perferabally tony delk. People might say delk is too old to play in the suns system but i dont think so. He was Detroits scoring threat off the bench, like house was to us this year. He also did a decent job defensively in the playoffs and played with more energy than anyone on detroit in the final games of the heat series if you watched closely. Just thought it would be nice to get another guy who could score and not be a scrub like many suns bench players the last few years. Lastly, they can sign Lampe or Sato depending on what they need positon wise to develop for the future. With these signigs, they would only have to spend a couple million dollars if they use the trade exception and only have one multi year contract from it, which would be for the backup bigman (Songaila or Butler). With that they could sign diaw and barbosa back this offseason so they dont lose them and have those draft picks next year. That could be a dynasty team in the future but we have to do whats necessary to win it all this year.
THe 06-07 roster would be;
marion,bell,nash,diaw,stoudemire--- thomas,barbosa,songaila/butler, blake/knight, delk/house, jones, lampe, piatkowski and burke

what do you think?
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
huppcap
Local High School Star

I would think Knight is still good enough to be a starter; granted injuries aside. He has finished not far behind Nash in assists the past couple of seasons. He would be a better fit for a team with a young up and coming PG (already in that situation) and not a back-up to a veteren especially the MVP.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:57 AM   #7
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default dont really agree with you there

huppcap, the thing is that's what we need, someone whos good enough to start but is a veteran and can be very reliable to take the reigns when nash sits out, especially playoff time and would you rather have a younger inexperienced PG coming off the bench behind the freakin MVP to not perform under pressure (once again especially in the playoffs)we need a vet point guard to spell nash cuz he's really not that old, he himself says he feels that he's getting better each year, and he just had back to back MVP seasons
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATfan32
huppcap, the thing is that's what we need, someone whos good enough to start but is a veteran and can be very reliable to take the reigns when nash sits out, especially playoff time and would you rather have a younger inexperienced PG coming off the bench behind the freakin MVP to not perform under pressure (once again especially in the playoffs)we need a vet point guard to spell nash cuz he's really not that old, he himself says he feels that he's getting better each year, and he just had back to back MVP seasons

I agree you need an experienced back-up. I don't necessarily agree you need a guy who is strong enough to start. Maybe Knight would be happy to play as a back-up in Phoenix considering Phoenix is a lot closer to a championship than Charlotte. Of course this assumes a trade could be worked out. Certainly that would be the strongest PG combo in the NBA.

Last edited by huppcap : 07-13-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default ok now youre talkin

now i agree with you word for word, and yes maybe not strong enough to start but would that not be a positive? especially once again, behind the MVP?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
huppcap
Local High School Star

It would be a positive but don't get too greedy. lol How many teams have a back-up PG who is strong enough to start?

One question to consider is would the Suns have to pay starter salary which would be difficult considering their salary cap position?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default give some one up

well as of now, no we wouldnt pay him starter salary mainly cuz we cant and he doesnt necessarily deserve starter salary but if it meant given up james jones and a 2nd round pick or something like that in a sign and trade id do it in a heartbeat cuz we already have enough swingmen or guys who can play that position
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: