Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Which current USA player would make the original dream team?

Kobe/Kidd/Duncan.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #17
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe starts over Jordan.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells333
Kobe Bryant hands down... i think kobe is the greatest player to EVER touch a basketball period... so hed obviously make the dream team
So you haven't seen much basketball, eh?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #19
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
Kobe/Kidd/Duncan.

Duncans not in the squad this year. Kidd could possibly get in there but am wondering which pg spot he takes.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Kobe's a lock. Kidd and Melo also might make it. No one else comes even close after those 3.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #21
PrinceOthaPalace
I hit open layups

PrinceOthaPalace has an OK reputation so far

Kobe maybe and Jason Kidd because over christian latner or chris mullin maybe
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #22
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
When you look at the original dream team, taking positions into consideration, theres only 3 players that anyone on todays roster could have toped..

Drexler, Laettner and Mullin - Not exactly weak links huh?

-Id say Kidd, but I don't see him taking Magic or Stockton's spot...

-Kobe possibly could have taken Drexlers spot...

-The only other "weak links" on the original dream team were Laettner and Mullin... If anyone on the current roster could have toped them I dont know. Dont know much about them.
What about Bird and Magic? In 1992, they weren't anywhere close to their best. Although it wouldn't matter of both of those guys coudn't walk the were on the team for name alone.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #23
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't forget that world basketball play has improved since the original dream team... although I believe they would still win today, I am sure it would be more competitive than it was back then when they won by like an average of 50 points or something like that.

However, Kidd and Kobe would definitely fit on that team.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd will replace Christian Laetner, Chris Mullin and Clyde Drexler
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 AM   #25
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Even if Kobe and Kidd were to replace a Mullin or two, they'd never see any playing time and would be limited to garbage minutes at best. I don't see Kobe as the kind of player that would be glad to get his feet wet after his team is up 30 in the third quarter.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #26
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd will replace Christian Laetner, Chris Mullin and Clyde Drexler

You FAILED again.

LeBronze James would NEVER make the current squad if not for NIKE being the primary sponsor of Team USA Basketball.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #27
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i don't think you can say because we don't really know how this generation would fit into that one. there's a chance duncan would be the undisputed best american center if he played in 92. there's a chance he wouldn't be ranked as high as ewing or robinson. all depends on who he played for and if his understated game was winning rings (and he'd have to be beating the bulls to win rings back then). same with kobe. maybe he'd be a shoe in. maybe he'd be seen as dominique part 2 or be dissed isiah style. how would garnett fit in? or lebron? very much depends on circumstances imo.

people keep saying kidd, but i'm not sure the committee would be all that into having 3 pgs (and pippen who likes to run the point when he's on the floor) to play 40 minutes, and kidd would have to be playing his best ball to win more and put up better stats than stockton who was getting 16 and 13 in his sleep back then.

anyway on raw talent lots of guys could make it, but without knowing what kind of success they'd be having in this hypothetical timewarp, i think it's a crapshoot.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #28
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Lebron over Carmelo from the current team for a fiba tournament? Duncan isnt in the team in 2007

You guys aren't playing by the rules. In 1992, USA was the dominant physical team. FIBA rules, and players weren't anything like they are now.

Today's NBA rules/officiating = FIBA 1992.

1992 NBA rules/officiating = FIBA today.

America has grown soft, while FIBA has become physically dominating.

Thanks Stern, for ruining my game.

Probably a lot of players from this year's team would dominate FIBA play in '92. Question is, who would be better than the players already on the roster?

Almost any of the 2007 guys could replace Laettner. In fact, IIRC it came down to Laettner, Shaq, or Mourning, and Laettner beat out the other two.

This is where all you Shaquille O'Neal ******** can jump in and whine, but Shaq was not even in the NBA yet, and he was a HUGE project. Laettner's game was far more polished, and I think he fit the Dream Team better, AND represented our country better.

Mullin was probably very overrated, although he was a hell of a shooter and had good fundementals.

Drexler? I guess he could be considered a weak link, but didn't he play for the Blazers at the time? That means he had some of his best seasons in the league with the Rockets later in his career, so obviously still quite a bit of gas in the tank, since he hadn't even really peaked.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #29
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You guys aren't playing by the rules. In 1992, USA was the dominant physical team. FIBA rules, and players weren't anything like they are now.

Today's NBA rules/officiating = FIBA 1992.

1992 NBA rules/officiating = FIBA today.

America has grown soft, while FIBA has become physically dominating.

Thanks Stern, for ruining my game.

Probably a lot of players from this year's team would dominate FIBA play in '92. Question is, who would be better than the players already on the roster?

Almost any of the 2007 guys could replace Laettner. In fact, IIRC it came down to Laettner, Shaq, or Mourning, and Laettner beat out the other two.

This is where all you Shaquille O'Neal ******** can jump in and whine, but Shaq was not even in the NBA yet, and he was a HUGE project. Laettner's game was far more polished, and I think he fit the Dream Team better, AND represented our country better.

Mullin was probably very overrated, although he was a hell of a shooter and had good fundementals.

Drexler? I guess he could be considered a weak link, but didn't he play for the Blazers at the time? That means he had some of his best seasons in the league with the Rockets later in his career, so obviously still quite a bit of gas in the tank, since he hadn't even really peaked.

Mathius
this is not really relevant, but clyde was actually at his best around then. he had more numbers earlier in his career and would win a title as a second fiddle in 95, but in terms of what he brought to the table he was still near his peak athleticism and was by far the best player on that blazers team bringing them to two finals in three years. i think 92 was his only all nba first team appearance actually (though to be fair he had to contend with mj and magic most of his best years, so he was sh!t out of luck.)
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #30
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

well you can look at college player christian laettner and easily replace him with a superstar from today's game

but i want to do something different

i want to name a team from 1992 that would beat the 1992 dream team. this dream team would beat the actual dream team (assuming hakeem hasn't become an american citizen):

C David Robinson
PF Karl Malone
SF Scottie Pippen
SG Michael Jordan
PG John Stockton

C Patrick Ewing
PF Larry Nance
SF Chris Mullin
SG Clyde Drexler
PG Tim Hardaway

PG Kevin Johnson
PF Larry Bird

now. i'll integrate players from 2007 that would make that team

C David Robinson
PF Kevin Garnett
SF LeBron James
SG Michael Jordan
PG John Stockton

C Tim Duncan
PF Karl Malone
SF Scottie Pippen
SG Dwyane Wade
PG Tim Hardaway

SG Clyde Drexler
SF Shawn Marion

so to answer the question, kevin garnett, lebron james, tim duncan, dwyane wade, and shawn marion would make the original dream team
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: