Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Which current USA player would make the original dream team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Thanks Stern, for ruining my game.
I whole-heartedly agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Drexler? I guess he could be considered a weak link, but didn't he play for the Blazers at the time? That means he had some of his best seasons in the league with the Rockets later in his career, so obviously still quite a bit of gas in the tank, since he hadn't even really peaked.

Disagree, Drexler was drafted in '83, so he was about to head into his 10th season after Barcelona. I still think Dominique for either Laettner or Mullin would have been a better choice. The only players from the current crop who would make it are Kidd and Kobe (I don't like him, but I'm rational), however, would Daly run a 3-guard rotation?
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #32
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
well you can look at college player christian laettner and easily replace him with a superstar from today's game

but i want to do something different

i want to name a team from 1992 that would beat the 1992 dream team. this dream team would beat the actual dream team (assuming hakeem hasn't become an american citizen):

C David Robinson
PF Karl Malone
SF Scottie Pippen
SG Michael Jordan
PG John Stockton

C Patrick Ewing
PF Larry Nance
SF Chris Mullin
SG Clyde Drexler
PG Tim Hardaway

PG Kevin Johnson
PF Larry Bird

why did you leave off the 1992 olympic team mvp? charles barkley was a matchup nightmare for opposition and understood better than any pf i've ever seen how to destroy zone defenses by making sharp cuts, sealing on picks, and crashing the offensive boards like a fiend. he's on of the best passing pfs ever, the best handling pfs ever, the best outside shooting pfs ever, and the ability to drop back into a zone and the fact that nobody has to play more than 20 - 25 minutes totally masks his only real weakness, lazy defense.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #33
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

because he was coming off a really poor year. he led his team to its worst record in 20 years and he couldn't even make the damn playoffs. give me larry nance easily
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #34
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Kobe (and Duncan if he's available) would make any team from any era, using any perameters you want. They are both top 2 alltime at their positions (maybe even top 1 for Duncan), so keeping them off the team would be dumb.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #35
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
because he was coming off a really poor year. he led his team to its worst record in 20 years and he couldn't even make the damn playoffs. give me larry nance easily
really? because what i see are the all-nba first and second teams minus charles barkley and with the addition of nance.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm.cgi?req=1&***=0&p1=barklch01&y1=1992&p2=nancel a01&y2=1992

fyi chuck's numbers and team wins were down because instead of dominating the pf spot like normal, he was forced to move to the sf slot to allow gilliam minutes. he also filled in at center occassionally because (i'm not sure i'm remembering this right so a phili fan could feel free to correct me) they had lost gminski and mahorn and only had old as dirt shackleford and bol to try to play 48 minutes of center.

after he was traded to the suns, the sixers dropped off the radar winning 26 games. chuch dominated the olympics and then went on to win mvp, the best record in the league (while the second best player on his team - kj - played less than 50 games), and make the finals. the only concievable reason to bring in nance is if you really thought you needed extra shot blocking. i can't see that as an issue with robinson, ewing, pippen, jordan, and drexler.

nance was inarguable the third best player on the second best team in the central division though. which i guess is a nice thing to be. charles was the best player on a weak team and 4th in the league in PER. taking nance over barkley is something on the level of taking marion over garnett. except that marion was an all-star last year and nance wasn't in 92. nance did make the all-star team the next year... while charles was in the western conference winning the mvp.

Last edited by dejordan : 08-22-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #36
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
really? because what i see are the all-nba first and second teams minus charles barkley and with the addition of nance
do you agree with every selection the nba makes? the majority of the time they are wrong. nance should've been second team all-nba. barkley shouldn't have been named to any team - all he did was put up stats on a bad team, definately something that shouldn't be encouraged by voters. the forwards should've been 1st team: pippen, malone. 2nd team: nance, mullin. 3rd team: grant, manning
Quote:
fyi chuck's numbers and team wins were down because instead of dominating the pf spot like normal, he was forced to move to the sf slot to allow gilliam minutes. he also filled in at center occassionally because (i'm not sure i'm remembering this right so a phili fan could feel free to correct me) they had lost gminski and mahorn and only had old as dirt shackleford and bol to try to play 48 minutes of center.
all i'm reading is excuses. barkley was the best player on that team, the buck stops with him. they still had a top shooting guard in hersey hawkins with 19p, 3r, 3a, 2s, .5b, a solid armon gilliam with 17p, 8r, 2a, 1.5s, .6b, and a solid point guard in johnny dawkins with 12p, 3r, 7a, 1.1s.
Quote:
after he was traded to the suns, the sixers dropped off the radar winning 26 games
dropped off the radar? they were hardly even on the radar in 1992 with only 35 wins. and it was expected of them that they lose more games than they did in '92 because they traded a so called *superstar* player for hornacek and a bunch of scrubs
Quote:
chuch
heheh
Quote:
dominated the olympics and then went on to win mvp, the best record in the league (while the second best player on his team - kj - played less than 50 games), and make the finals.
why are you even mentioning this? its really irrelevent to the conversation, but barkley didn't deserve that mvp, hakeem should've won it in a landslide. even though kj missed time they still had majerle (third best player, and top 3 shooting guard in the nba) there playing all 82 games
Quote:
the only concievable reason to bring in nance is if you really thought you needed extra shot blocking. i can't see that as an issue with robinson, ewing, pippen, jordan, and drexler.
he was a better player. thats reason enough
Quote:
nance was inarguable the third best player on the second best team in the central division though. which i guess is a nice thing to be
yeh, except he was the best player, and best defender on that same team, which he led to the second best record in the eastern conference, and which he led to the east finals
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #37
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Whose spot is Bryant gonna take? Laettner's? Then they'd all have to carry their own luggage.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #38
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Whose spot is Bryant gonna take? Laettner's? Then they'd all have to carry their own luggage.

Laettner. Drexler. Mullin. Pippen. Bird (old and injured in 92). Just to name a few.

Other than Jordan, Magic, Barkley.....Kobe Bryant is better than anyone else on that '92 roster.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #39
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
Laettner. Drexler. Mullin. Pippen. Bird (old and injured in 92). Just to name a few.

Other than Jordan, Magic, Barkley.....Kobe Bryant is better than anyone else on that '92 roster.
drexler, ewing, pippen, robinson, and stockton were all better than kobe bryant is today
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #40
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Quote:
drexler, ewing, pippen, robinson, and stockton were all better than kobe bryant is today

Uh, NO.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #41
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
Uh, NO.
thats funny, considering the words you are looking for are: YES SHEP! YOU ARE RIGHT! I WILL NOT QUESTION YOU EVER AGAIN
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #42
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
do you agree with every selection the nba makes? the majority of the time they are wrong. nance should've been second team all-nba. barkley shouldn't have been named to any team - all he did was put up stats on a bad team, definately something that shouldn't be encouraged by voters. the forwards should've been 1st team: pippen, malone. 2nd team: nance, mullin. 3rd team: grant, manning

all i'm reading is excuses. barkley was the best player on that team, the buck stops with him. they still had a top shooting guard in hersey hawkins with 19p, 3r, 3a, 2s, .5b, a solid armon gilliam with 17p, 8r, 2a, 1.5s, .6b, and a solid point guard in johnny dawkins with 12p, 3r, 7a, 1.1s.

dropped off the radar? they were hardly even on the radar in 1992 with only 35 wins. and it was expected of them that they lose more games than they did in '92 because they traded a so called *superstar* player for hornacek and a bunch of scrubs

heheh

why are you even mentioning this? its really irrelevent to the conversation, but barkley didn't deserve that mvp, hakeem should've won it in a landslide. even though kj missed time they still had majerle (third best player, and top 3 shooting guard in the nba) there playing all 82 games

he was a better player. thats reason enough

yeh, except he was the best player, and best defender on that same team, which he led to the second best record in the eastern conference, and which he led to the east finals
barkley was better than nance at everything except blocking shots and one on defense for his entire career. there was never a season in nance's career that he was better than barkley except 85 when chuck was a rookie. the dream team was a running team and charles is one of the very best running power forwards ever. the RESULTS prove that the dream team selection committee was correct (which is why i keep mentioning them), but you can keep on your hypothetical crusade that 19 and 8 as a third wheel is better than 23 and 11 as an engine. maybe somebody will buy it.

nance "led" his team to jack sh!t. he played with two all-stars (price and daugherty were both all nba 3rd team that year). it's by no means an "excuse" to point out the poor design of the sixers in that era. and again, the problem wasn't so much that chuck's teammates were bad, it's that in order for the best players to play on the floor at the same time, he had to play the 5 spot (best team was dawkins, hawkins, anderson, gilliam, and barkley - only two players out there could play multiple positions - anderson the 2 / 3 - charles the 3 /4 though as i said he had to fill in at the 5).

sometimes when you post stats and wins without looking at what's behind those numbers you wind up with the wrong conclusions. numbers don't coallesce all by themselves. again what you are saying is that a guy like marion is better than a guy like garnett. just replace nash and amare with price and daugherty, and it comes clear. so is marion better than garnett? cause if so then you've got a case for a less talent, less productive, less sought after player on a better team being better than a 2nd team all-nba player with equal to / better stats than tim duncan, dirk nowitsky, and kevin garnett had last year.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #43
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Barkley playing PF, let alone centre, is amazing considering he is probably a fraction over 6'4".
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #44
Shep
Decent college freshman

all i'm hearing is this:
Quote:
barkley was better than nance at everything except blocking shots and one on defense for his entire career.
are we talking about career's? i'm talking about one season. i'm talking about winning games and leading your team to the second best record in the nba and a conference finals appearance, against a lottery bound team. nance shot a much better % from the FT line, was a better defender, blocked 5 times the number of shots barkley did, and won alot more. it really is a no contest
Quote:
there was never a season in nance's career that he was better than barkley except 85 when chuck was a rookie
yeh, i'm pretty sure i've already mentioned the year 1992 as a year nance was better than barkley. nance was also better in the already mentioned '85, besides this barkley was better every year
Quote:
the dream team was a running team and charles is one of the very best running power forwards ever. the RESULTS prove that the dream team selection committee was correct (which is why i keep mentioning them
what results? how can you sit there and say what might or might not have happened if larry nance was selected rather than charles barkley?
Quote:
but you can keep on your hypothetical crusade that 19 and 8 as a third wheel is better than 23 and 11 as an engine. maybe somebody will buy it.
i don't care if nobody buys it. and buys what? 17/8/3 with 3 blocks, 57 regular season wins and a conference finals appearance as the best player on the team is better than stat padding your way to the lottery
Quote:
nance "led" his team to jack sh!t. he played with two all-stars (price and daugherty were both all nba 3rd team that year).
again. they shouldn't have been named. the 3 centers should've been robinson, ewing, and olajuwon. the guards should've been jordan/stockton, hardaway/drexler, and johnson, hornacek. nance was the main guy on that cleveland team.
Quote:
and again, the problem wasn't so much that chuck's teammates were bad, it's that in order for the best players to play on the floor at the same time, he had to play the 5 spot (best team was dawkins, hawkins, anderson, gilliam, and barkley - only two players out there could play multiple positions - anderson the 2 / 3 - charles the 3 /4 though as i said he had to fill in at the 5).
they had more or less that same team the previous year and they made the second round of the playoffs
Quote:
sometimes when you post stats and wins without looking at what's behind those numbers you wind up with the wrong conclusions. numbers don't coallesce all by themselves. again what you are saying is that a guy like marion is better than a guy like garnett. just replace nash and amare with price and daugherty, and it comes clear. so is marion better than garnett?
yes.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #45
Revelation
The Fouler

Revelation has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
-The only other "weak links" on the original dream team were Laettner and Mullin... If anyone on the current roster could have toped them I dont know. Dont know much about them.

I'm pretty sure Mullin was not a "weak link". People forget how good he was...

Chris Mullin:
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: