Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #16
blazerfan22
Retro is in

blazerfan22 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Top 10 Comedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious ai3
some good ones listed, but doesn't anyone like animal house? thats one of my favorites.

I liked it. I saw it too many times though but it's a classic. Caddy Shack also
blazerfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #17
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Jackass, are you a professional movie critic?
Because I swear I feel like you copied and pasted that list from some website...have you even seen all of those flicks? Because a lot of them are really old.

You must have a really old sense of humor, because I wouldn't watch most of those films today...most movie critics would say Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best comedies ever made, for some odd reason I think you just google'd those flicks and put what movie critics believe to be the best comedies of all-time.

Young Frankenstein?
That movie is like 30 years old

25. Ed Wood
24. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
23. His Girl Friday- 1940
22. The Philadelphia Story- 1940
21. Our Hospitality- 1923
20. The Big Lebowski
19. A Christmas Story- 1983 (I wouldn't even call it comedy, it's a family/kids movie)
18. Beverly Hills Cop
17. Up in Smoke- 1978
16. Annie Hall- 1977
15. The Freshman
14. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
13. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
12. The Princess Bride
11. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb- 1964
10. The Great Dictator
9. Back to the Future
8. Young Frankenstein
7. Modern Times
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5. Steamboat Bill, Jr.
4. Sherlock, Jr.- 1924
3. City Lights- 1931
2. The Gold Rush- 1925
1. The General- 1927

I mean you get my picture, most of these movies were made before my grand parents were even born, how old are you?

If I go to www.imdb.com I think I would find like 80% of these movies listed in there.

I seen Young Franstein, and that's why I think you haven't watched 10% of these movies because they aren't that funny at all...the reason I say that is because our generation wouldn't find these movies that funny, it's something our grand parents would watch.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #18
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
"Back to The Future" is an Adventure, but it was funny at times.

It's Action/Adventure, Comedy and Sci-Fi.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #19
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
have you even seen all of those flicks? Because a lot of them are really old.

Why else would I post that list if I haven't? Not only have I seen those movies, but I actually own most of the ones I listed.

Quote:
You must have a really old sense of humor, because I wouldn't watch most of those films today

You must have an odd sense of humor listing garbage like Eurotrip, Saving Silverman, Night at the Roxbury, and Little Nicky. I like a wide variety of movies. Why limit yourself to just recent movies? Why not check out classics that these recent movies borrowed from?

Quote:
for some odd reason I think you just google'd those flicks and put what movie critics believe to be the best comedies of all-time.

Yeah, because it's not possible for people to watch movies that were made pre-1980...

Quote:
19. A Christmas Story- 1983 (I wouldn't even call it comedy, it's a family/kids movie)

It's definitely a Comedy. There's no real way of arguing against that.

Quote:
If I go to www.imdb.com I think I would find like 80% of these movies listed in there.

You'd find 100% of them listed.

Quote:
I seen Young Franstein, and that's why I think you haven't watched 10% of these movies because they aren't that funny at all

Young Frankenstein is funny and it's refreshing because it doesn't have a million gags every second and overdo everything like most recent spoofs do.

Quote:
the reason I say that is because our generation wouldn't find these movies that funny, it's something our grand parents would watch.

A lot of the humor in them is universal and still copied to this day. Guys like Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd influenced many comedic actors. Not only are they the most influential comedic actors ever, but also some of the most influential people in the history of movies.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 08-22-2007 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 AM   #20
PrinceOthaPalace
I hit open layups

PrinceOthaPalace has an OK reputation so far

i forgot about grandma's boy thats a classic
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #21
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
You must have an odd sense of humor listing garbage like Eurotrip, Saving Silverman, Night at the Roxbury, and Little Nicky. I like a wide variety of movies.

It's called influence, people today will appreciate the movies I listed before yours...that doesn't make their taste odd, it makes your taste odd.

You're what I call a bench mark lover, you go on websites read what other people believe...the reason most movie critics have those comedies at the top is because most of them don't appreciate none sense laughter, they appreciate the substance, they have main sub ledgers that they rate which in most cases start with acting, and the plot, they don't fully appreciate the none sense laughter ...to me comedies is about laughter, I don't find guys like Chaplin as entertaining today...back in the day he was an icon, because of a thing called technology...stand up comedians learn new jokes every day, back in the day when television first came out, any minor thing people found funny because it was new...Chaplin was a pioneer for comedy, but people today expect a lot more from comedy...Young Frankenstein, City Lights are no where near as funny as the "garbage" like Little Nicky...but they are better movies for the same reason most movie critics would pick Little Miss Sunshine over Wedding Crasher, because it's a meaningful movie with great acting, and people learn something from it...Wedding Crashers was nothing more then an over acted comedy but it was hilarious. To me Wedding Crashers was more entertaining then Little Miss Sunshine although movie critics rated LMS a lot higher, because of its plot.

The reason I think you have an odd sense of humor is because 99% of the people today would prefer the movies I listed over the ones you put up...I mean Back To The Future and Christmas Story? (Neither are comedies, one is advernture and the other is family) I think your variety of movies have a thin line between each genre.

I mean why not put Jason Vs. Freddy as comedy since some parts of it made me laugh or why not put Batman Forever as comedy because The Riddler made me laugh?

Quote:
Guys like Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd influenced many comedic actors.

I think that has something to do with television, they were obviously the first people to make us laugh universally, but that doesn't mean I would pick them over the movies we make today. They are simply funnier, I would rather watch Friday then watch re-runs of Chaplin...and everyone today will prefer to watch Friday, because it's our generation and that's what we're accustomed to. It's good that you appreciate the people that began comedy, but that doesn't mean they can never be eclipsed.

Would you rather watch Chaplin do his silence act or watch the Comedy network? The choice isn't that tough, and back in the day every one would pick the Comedy network because of a little thing called variety.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 08-22-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

1. Animal House
2. Airplane
3. Stripes
4. Office Space
5. Wedding Crashers
6. Groundhog Day
7. A Fish Called Wanda
8. Caddyshack
9. Billy Madison (all the early Sandler comedies are about the same - this is one is the most idiotic, making it the best)
10. Talledega Nights
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #23
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Am I the only remaining person in the world who has not seen the 40 year-old Virgin?

Anyway, some of my favorites include Life of Brian, History of the World, Orgazmo, South Park Movie, the Naked Gun series, the Friday series, the Jackass series, Fish Called Wanda, Fierce Creatures, and Christmas Vacation.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #24
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
It's called influence, people today will appreciate the movies I listed before yours...

That has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard. My movies would be appreciated a million times over the garbage you posted in your list. Eurotrip? Are you serious? Give me a crappy camera and 15 bucks and I could make a better movie than that rotten pile of horsesh!t. You're into cliched, recycled, contrived, already-been-done-a-billion-times toilet humor and that's fine, but don't act like that crap is more appreciated by people with IQs over 15. I'm almost surprised you didn't have Pooty Tang up there...

Quote:
You're what I call a bench mark lover, you go on websites read what other people believe

You're what I call 'a person who is completely full of sh!t'. You act like you have a clue of what you speak, but you clearly don't.

Quote:
...the reason most movie critics have those comedies at the top is because most of them don't appreciate none sense laughter

It's nice that you speak for people that you have no clue whatsoever about. What is "none sense laughter" anyway?

Quote:
back in the day he was an icon, because of a thing called technology...stand up comedians learn new jokes every day

Bullsh!t, comedians have been recycling the same jokes and gags over and over and over and over again.

Quote:
Chaplin was a pioneer for comedy, but people today expect a lot more from comedy...

No, some people expect recycled, cliched, contrived comedy because that's what they've been getting for years.

Quote:
Young Frankenstein, City Lights are no where near as funny as the "garbage" like Little Nicky..

What the hell was funny about Little Nicky? I'm a fan of Sandler, but I didn't find that crap funny and neither did many others as that movie was a big flop. That movie was panned by pretty much everyone. You're one of about 3 people that actually like it.

Quote:
Wedding Crashers was nothing more then an over acted comedy but it was hilarious. To me Wedding Crashers was more entertaining then Little Miss Sunshine although movie critics rated LMS a lot higher, because of its plot.

The funny thing is my list was what I thought were the best comedies that I've seen and not what I thought were the funniest or my favorite, and you're yet to realize that...

Quote:
The reason I think you have an odd sense of humor is because 99% of the people today would prefer the movies I listed over the ones you put up...

Not anybody with any kind of taste. Only adolescents who are into toilet humor would side with you. The thing is you don't speak for everyone. Just because your group of friends prefer toilet humor does not mean that 99% of people do, as well.

Quote:
I mean Back To The Future and Christmas Story? (Neither are comedies, one is advernture and the other is family)

Both of those movies were amongst the 500 movies nominated for AFI's top 100 Comedies...

Last edited by Jackass18 : 08-22-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #25
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
My movies would be appreciated a million times over the garbage you posted in your list.

That's why hardly anyone in this thread posted movies you have in your post? You're going to question their taste too?

Quote:
You're what I call 'a person who is completely full of sh!t'. You act like you have a clue of what you speak, but you clearly don't.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, so you searched for "greatest comedy of all-time" on google and you posted them in random order...and now I have no clue what I'm talking about?

I'm not surprised you mentioned AFI's...I seriously doubt you watched half of those movies, how on earth did you even get a hold of movies that were made in the 1930's?

I listed movies I actually seen and enjoyed...and all of them are funny, you talk about adolescence, how old are you buddy? 89?

Quote:
What is "none sense laughter" anyway?

I think it's pretty self explanatory, it's humor that doesn't have any meaning to it...ever seen a Will Farrell movie?

Quote:
I'm a fan of Sandler, but I didn't find that crap funny and neither did many others as that movie was a big flop

Good for you, practically everyone I know loves this movie and found it very funny...go back to watching Young Frankstein if it makes you laugh.

Quote:
The thing is you don't speak for everyone. Just because your group of friends prefer toilet humor does not mean that 99% of people do, as well.

Right, the baby boomer generation would of course side with you.
Just give it up, you got caught not having a mind of your own...you did a good job doing research on some classics, but I don't believe you watched more then 10 of those movies since they are ancient.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 08-22-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
That's why hardly anyone in this thread posted movies you have in your post? You're going to question their taste too?

Your list is close to SuperboyXX0018's. Doesn't that tell you something? I'd question some of the movies that people put on their lists, as well.

Quote:
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, so you searched for "greatest comedy of all-time" on google and you posted them in random order...and now I have no clue what I'm talking about?

Please tell me you something more than blah blah blah. I'd love to know how I have absolutely no clue of what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I'm not surprised you mentioned AFI's...I seriously doubt you watched half of those movies, how on earth did you even get a hold of movies that were made in the 1930's?

I knew you were going to be damn stupid enough to say something simply because I referenced the AFI. You're as predictable as the movies on your list... Are you seriously asking me how to get a hold of movies from the '30s? Ever heard of Amazon.com? There's this giant thing called "the Internet" where you can find many, many, many things. There's also this other thing called "a mall" where you can also find many things.

Quote:
I think it's pretty self explanatory, it's humor that doesn't have any meaning to it...ever seen a Will Farrell movie?

I've heard of "nonsense", but not "none sense"

Quote:
Good for you, practically everyone I know loves this movie and found it very funny...go back to watching Young Frankstein if it makes you laugh.

Practically everyone you know don't seem to have good taste in movies.

Quote:
Just give it up, you got caught not having a mind of your own...you did a good job doing research on some classics, but I don't believe you watched more then 10 of those movies since they are ancient.

I got caught not having a mind of my own? Well, you did a great job of not proving that. I'd love to see you even begin to back those statements up.

And, oh yeah, I can link you to 3 reviews I did, 1 from 1939, 1 from 1929 and 1 from 1914.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 08-22-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
I knew you were going to be damn stupid enough to say something simply because I referenced the AFI.

You really need to learn some manners, instead of insulting people maybe you should try to learn how to engage in a proper argument.

People in this thread named films they actually watched, you tried to be a smart ass and use the "internet" to research comedies. Kudos to you. Only list I question in this thread is yours because it's pretentious.

You got your panties in a bunch over AFI, because you probably used that site as major reference, while really not actually watching any of those flicks.

Quote:
I got caught not having a mind of my own? Well, you did a great job of not proving that. I'd love to see you even begin to back those statements up.

I can't prove that you simply researched majority of those movies, but I have a feeling you did...since all 25 of those movies are on AFI's top 100 list.

I don't understand what statements you made that even remotely deserve a rebuttal...you did nothing but throw lame insults and made some grammar correction.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #28
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
You really need to learn some manners, instead of insulting people maybe you should try to learn how to engage in a proper argument.

Wait a minute, you question my integrity, call me a liar, continually give me loads and loads of bullsh!t, and then say I need to learn some manners and learn how to engage in a proper argument? If that's not the kettle calling the pot black, then I don't know what is.

Quote:
People in this thread named films they actually watched, you tried to be a smart ass and use the "internet" to research comedies. Kudos to you. Only list I question in this thread is yours because it's pretentious.

You got your panties in a bunch over AFI, because you probably used that site as major reference, while really not actually watching any of those flicks.

You're saying the same ol' blobbety blah blah over and over and over again which has no basis in reality. You're argument is beyond terrible because you don't even have one! You actually asked me how to get a hold of movies from the 1930s and yet you're still continuing this? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you just joking around here or are you desperately trying to save face yet you're digging yourself a deeper hole?

Quote:
I can't prove that you simply researched majority of those movies, but I have a feeling you did...since all 25 of those movies are on AFI's top 100 list.

They're not. I don't even know if Up in Smoke even made their nomination list. I've openly criticized the lists that the AFI have come out with, including their Comedy list, but I copied from it? Yeah, that makes sense...

Quote:
I don't understand what statements you made that even remotely deserve a rebuttal...you did nothing but throw lame insults and made some grammar correction.

Yeah, besides showing how ridiculous your so-called argument is.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Saving face from what? Exposing you for being a copy cat? :)
I have no argument, I had a gut feeling that you did nothing more then copy-paste other people's views on movies and got offended the minute I questioned your "integrity"...and you getting offended just implied to me that I was correct with my assumption.

Quote:
Your list is close to SuperboyXX0018's. Doesn't that tell you something?

I named 50 movies, this person named 10...five of which didn't make my list, do I'm not sure what you're implying by that?

Last edited by Los Angeles : 08-22-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #30
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Little Nicky sucks major, un-wiped ass. What a piece of shit.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: