Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default My email to Charley Rosen

I noticed you called the comebacks Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson made humiliating..that is 100% wrong. Jordan came back to the Wizards at 39 years old and averaged over 20 ppg each season while putting up very good rebound and assist numbers and even had a 51 point game. He was still good but the team was bad. I don't think he should have come back because I didn't see a point he had ended his career in the best way possible in 1998 but he didn't humiliate himself by any stretch. As for Magic Johnson..you gotta be kidding me! His comeback wasn't humiliating it was inspiring. Magic hadn't played in the NBA since 1991 yet he came back and averaged 14.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 6.9 apg in just under 30 minutes. His per 40 minutes that year were 19.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 9.2 apg. Oh yeah and the Lakers went 22-10 after he returned. How is that humiliating?

How the hell does Rosen think those comebacks were humiliating..especially Magic's comeback! Yeah Jordan's team struggled but Magic's team played very well once he came back. Did he even watch Magic in 1996?
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

ReturnOfJimi has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: My email to Charley Rosen

I agree.

Charley Rosen views the world through the prism of his own a$$hole.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
BA_God
Decent playground baller

BA_God has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I noticed you called the comebacks Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson made humiliating..that is 100% wrong. Jordan came back to the Wizards at 39 years old and averaged over 20 ppg each season while putting up very good rebound and assist numbers and even had a 51 point game. He was still good but the team was bad. I don't think he should have come back because I didn't see a point he had ended his career in the best way possible in 1998 but he didn't humiliate himself by any stretch. As for Magic Johnson..you gotta be kidding me! His comeback wasn't humiliating it was inspiring. Magic hadn't played in the NBA since 1991 yet he came back and averaged 14.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 6.9 apg in just under 30 minutes. His per 40 minutes that year were 19.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 9.2 apg. Oh yeah and the Lakers went 22-10 after he returned. How is that humiliating?

How the hell does Rosen think those comebacks were humiliating..especially Magic's comeback! Yeah Jordan's team struggled but Magic's team played very well once he came back. Did he even watch Magic in 1996?

You are wrong and Rosen is right.
even their teammates critisized both of them back then. :rollingeyes:
BA_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:
even their teammates critisized both of them back then.

What a bunch of punks.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_God
even their teammates critisized both of them back then. :rollingeyes:
Ceballos and Van Exel were jealous of the attention Magic was getting. Also by your logic if your teammates criticize you that makes your performance on the court humiliating? lol think what you want. BTW you humiliated yourself by trying to spell criticized and failing.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
BA_God
Decent playground baller

BA_God has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Ceballos and Van Exel were jealous of the attention Magic was getting. Also by your logic if your teammates criticize you that makes your performance on the court humiliating? lol think what you want. BTW you humiliated yourself by trying to spell criticized and failing.

both guys were way past their prime, and still they wanted to be an most important part of their team, that was the problem.
BA_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jordan said himself that coming back to play for the wiz was "teaching". When you are the GOAT and an owner of a team that sucks, why not lead by example and show them how it is done.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:
both guys were way past their prime, and still they wanted to be an most important part of their team, that was the problem.

Yeah, but...

Kwame wasn't gettin it done.

Cedric and Nick waddn't gettin it done.

So... "Hey.. I know... let's let this MJordan guy lead the team... or this Earvin person."
Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
VCMVP1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_God

Their prime was the 2 best players of all time. A player who averages 23 ppg(25 before the injury), 6 rpg and 5 apg is still better than Stackhouse with the Wizards or Rip with the Wizards. Also with Magic playing an important role the Lakers went 22-10...yeah he sure hurt the team with his comeback!

In 95'-96' Nick Van Exel averaged 14.9 ppg, 2.4 rpg and 6.9 apg, Eddie Jones averaged 12.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg and 3.5 apg and Vlade Divac averaged 12.9 ppg, 8.6 rpg and 3.3 apg. The only player who might have been better than Magic on that team was Cedric Ceballos. Magic was a great addition to that team.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

most people remember mj's wizards comeback i think, but during his little stretch, magic was really pretty cool to watch. he suffered sometimes, but he made that team better. he played a power point forward role (kind garnetty / birdish is a way). he destroyed the magic in one game because they had no one to match up with him. i actually read the charlie rosen article you're talking about and had the same reaction. they weren't themselves by any stretch, but "humiliated" is a humiliatingly bad piece of hyperbole.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Charley Rosen humiliates himself every time he puts pen to paper or finger to keyboard whatever the case may be.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Charley Rosen humiliates himself every time he puts pen to paper or finger to keyboard whatever the case may be.
i think he uses a chisel and stone tablet or at best a quill and papyrus. the first article he wrote was one of the dead sea scrolls.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Charley Rosen also said LeBron James was going to be a roleplayer at best. I can't take anything he says seriously.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I didn't read the Rosen article So don't know his reasoning but I also believe Magic and Michael had poor comebacks. My reasoning isn't as much about on-court performance though.

Magic wasn't a horrible addition to the team skill wise. The problem was Magic didn't realize the "magic" was almost gone. He complained about not getting the calls from refs he used to and complained about Nick Van Exel being the PG instead of himself.

During his comeback Magic exposed a little bit the side of himself the media often missed or never reported on.

MJ's comeback was bad due to the way it ended mostly. He basically limped out of Washington getting hurt his final season with the Wizards and was then snake out of his ownership stake. Calling that a bad comeback is an understatement.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default legends and heroes

rosen, as well as others, want to remember the great ones-- mj and magic -- at their best

when they both came back, while it was good and many players only dream of playing like they did during their comebacks, it wasnt their best

we want our sports heroes to be larger than life. when we see that they are mere mortals, it disappoints us

personally, i too like remembering the greats in their prime. while i respect their decisions to comeback, it would have been even greater for their "legendary" status if they had stayed retired after the first announcement

first and last impressions go a long way
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: