Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
jasonterry
Banned

Default What is it like playing in overseas leagues-like Europe and South America?

I think that would be a dream of mine. To just play in a league in Argentina or Chile for a year. i wonder what its like.
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
PrinceOthaPalace
I hit open layups

Default Re: What is it like playing in overseas leagues-like Europe and South America?

i dont know i would lovw to do that too because your playin with players that have a whole different game then us players and the sites would be amazing to look at too
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
jasonterry
Banned

Default Re: What is it like playing in overseas leagues-like Europe and South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOthaPalace
i dont know i would lovw to do that too because your playin with players that have a whole different game then us players and the sites would be amazing to look at too

I wonder what the salary is like in the leagues there. When I was in Monterrey, Mexico for school work I met this guy who was on a team there.
I wonder what it is like. Even if it was like 50,000$/year it would be a lot better than any 50k job here
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #4
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

The points I am going to make may apply to most international leagues, but I am not 100% sure. However, I can speak for the NBL in Australia, I suited up for a grand total of TWO games with the Melbourne Tigers, but I did watch the league a lot since I was a kid.

12 minute quarters, 30 second shot clock, olympic style court with the triangular key and closer 3-point line. The game is very slow and a true zone defence is allowed, so athleticism isn't everything. Teams are allowed to have two international players and they are treated like kings because of their general flashier style of play, however the cash isn't great...

"NBL SALARY CAP

The NBL Salary Cap, is a device used to ensure parity within the league while allowing teams from different sized markets to compete evenly for playing talent.

The Salary Cap for the 2007/08 NBL season has been set at A$810,000, meaning the combined value of player under contract at each club cannot exceed this amount. The A$810,000 includes all player payments, for example superannuation, car allowance, and accommodation.

Players may earn additional income from sources not linked to the club they are contracted to (eg. outside employment) provided all details have been lodged with, and approved by, the NBL."
-source: nbl.com.au

You're not going to be rich, but the club will find you a house or apartment, probably a car, and you can work a second job if you want a bit more in your pocket. And you don't need to worry about the ladies, they flock to the foreign-born players. Could be a fun working holiday.

I hope this is of some help
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

this probably doesn't help you, but it's interesting information nonetheless

i read an article on ESPN once about FEMALE players playing overseas in Europe.
WNBA players that play there most of the year, and come back to the WNBA for the summer time.

Their lives are great, they are paid much more than WNBA's salary. Their owners puts them in luxurious houses, paid for all plane trips, gets them cars, give them personal secretaries and everything.

The owner said he doesn't care about losing money, he just wants a good team.

it's probably a lot different for guys though.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

From an American perspective....

All that glitters is not gold folks. All you guys are hearing about is the positive stories.

For every positive story you hear there is a negative. Dealing with the European pro leagues irritated John Celestand so much that he retired from pro/competitive basketball at the age of 28.

It's not uncommon for players to go months without being paid due to losinng. It's not uncommon for American players to be cut after a handful of poor games.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King

All that glitters is not gold folks. All you guys are hearing about is the positive stories.

For every positive story you hear there is a negative. Dealing with the European pro leagues irritated John Celestand so much that he retired from pro/competitive basketball at the age of 28.

It's not uncommon for players to go months without being paid due to losinng. It's not uncommon for American players to be cut after a handful of poor games.

But a contract is legally binding. Do your research and you will more than likely find a great situation. I have played the minor leagues in Australia and the "import" players are treated like kings. I guess it all depends on where you go. Lebron23's advice to James White was to go to the Philipines. Who could resist sitting on the beach surrounded by the filipina's? Sure beats 9-5.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
But a contract is legally binding. Do your research and you will more than likely find a great situation. I have played the minor leagues in Australia and the "import" players are treated like kings. I guess it all depends on where you go. Lebron23's advice to James White was to go to the Philipines. Who could resist sitting on the beach surrounded by the filipina's? Sure beats 9-5.
Contract may be legally binding but to argue breach of contract means a court system fight.

Think about for a second.... American player, without money, has to fight a legal battle against a wealthy native in the court of that country. Who do you think wins?

From articles I've read to players I've spoke to, I can tell you with 100% certainty that for every American player that enjoys his European career there are two that have nothing but horror stories.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
DaBull
I brick open layups

for a really good perspective, pick this up :

DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Contract may be legally binding but to argue breach of contract means a court system fight.

Think about for a second.... American player, without money, has to fight a legal battle against a wealthy native in the court of that country. Who do you think wins?

From articles I've read to players I've spoke to, I can tell you with 100% certainty that for every American player that enjoys his European career there are two that have nothing but horror stories.

Thought about it, good point.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I had a coach who was a good player in Italy in his youth, and he has nothing but good things to say about his experience. But he was pretty well travelled to begin with, and he's multilingual.

I have another friend who's currently playing in a leage that spans northern Spain, southern France, and northern Italy, and he loves it too. He's a good player, first big off the bench kind of guy, could probably start for some times. He played for Fat Joe's Rucker team a few years back. But then again, I'm not sure what else he'd be doing. I think he makes near 6 figures.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

It varies from league to league and even from team to team within that league. You can ask two players who both played in the same league and are players of comparable quality and you will most likely get two completely different answers regarding their experience. If you are not the player of the year in your div. 1 conference or have experience in the NBA, it can be very difficult to situate yourself in a stable situation, and nearly impossible without a reputable agent. You have to remember that for a team to bring in a foreigner over local talent...pay the out of country fees, including your flights, housing, car, and player license, you have to be significantly better than a local player that they can pay next to nothing. If you are of a better caliber, do your homework and find a good agent, its your agent that will make or break you.
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:

i read something not long ago about a guy getting threats from fans for losing games. they were tearing up his house and making threats on his life. what a great reason to push yourself to your fullest potential! american fans should follow suit.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
i read something not long ago about a guy getting threats from fans for losing games. they were tearing up his house and making threats on his life. what a great reason to push yourself to your fullest potential! american fans should follow suit.

Ya it can get dirtier than that. Team managers telling players they are released, and when the player pulls out his guaranteed contract, they say either they leave or drugs will be found by the police in their apartment during the next team practice. Things like this, sometimes you need to know what you´re getting yourself into.
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyknucks
It varies from league to league and even from team to team within that league. You can ask two players who both played in the same league and are players of comparable quality and you will most likely get two completely different answers regarding their experience. If you are not the player of the year in your div. 1 conference or have experience in the NBA, it can be very difficult to situate yourself in a stable situation, and nearly impossible without a reputable agent. You have to remember that for a team to bring in a foreigner over local talent...pay the out of country fees, including your flights, housing, car, and player license, you have to be significantly better than a local player that they can pay next to nothing. If you are of a better caliber, do your homework and find a good agent, its your agent that will make or break you.

Most "import" players in Australian minor leagues are division 2,3 players. I have played in these leagues and the general consensus is that you can finally play for fun AND get paid. You might have to travel five hours back from a game on a bus, but the coach will buy a couple of cases of beer, you talk sh!t, let yourself go and finally remember that it is just a game and enjoy it for what it is.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: