Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: What is it like playing in overseas leagues-like Europe and South America?

well, it certainly has better side and a worse side.

a borderline nba talent, say 12-15th guy on a nba team, can get 4-5 times bigger dough in europe than in nba. figures are 2-2,5 times larger in average, but in europe salaries are net (with taxes already deducted and along with paid apartment, car and food in most cases) while in usa are gross.

on the other sides, contracts in most instances aren't guaranteed and guys regulary get cut after a few games if they don't pan out well, as KO King said.

fanbases in larger cities (and especially in greece and turkey) are really passionate, to say the least. it's a great thing if fans get to like you. but it can get gross if they don't like you. fanbases in europe can send whole front offices packing, not to speak about coaches and players. also terrible on-court brawls are much more frequent than in usa.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What is it like playing in overseas leagues-like Europe and South America?

I guess you're most interested in money, no?

If you're solid, you can make around $100-150k a year in mediocre European leagues which is a good money and you don't need to be that great.

It all depands on you. Speaking of top European leagues, I doubt you can make it there but if you do, good for you.

P.S Sharas, are you watching the game?
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

soccer? of course.

kakve odbrane, ne mogu vjerovati...i sranje prije utakmice, nije nam to trebalo. ali hajde, bar nije bila dosadna tekma

Last edited by Sharas : 08-22-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #19
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
I guess you're most interested in money, no?

If you're solid, you can make around $100-150k a year in mediocre European leagues which is a good money and you don't need to be that great.

It all depands on you. Speaking of top European leagues, I doubt you can make it there but if you do, good for you.

P.S Sharas, are you watching the game?

only thing about going overseas is you lose all this time from the workforce and come in relatively less skilled and older because of it...

I know a few guys that play overseas and 4 have loved it and the other guy miseed home a lot...The for the loved it were getting paid healthy 6 figures though..
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
only thing about going overseas is you lose all this time from the workforce and come in relatively less skilled and older because of it...

I know a few guys that play overseas and 4 have loved it and the other guy miseed home a lot...The for the loved it were getting paid healthy 6 figures though..

Where do they play?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #21
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Where do they play?

Spain, Italy, Germany(has since stopped playing).... a couple other guys play overseas and come to workout with our guys but they play in smaller countrys and I forgot where..They were that good though....
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #22
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

bumpyknucks is considered somewhat coolbumpyknucks is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

You canīt make anywhere near that money in a mediocre European league..
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #23
Sharas
Great college starter

yes you can. even here in bosnia-herzegovina (well, just in top two teams, to be honest)
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #24
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
yes you can. even here in bosnia-herzegovina (well, just in top two teams, to be honest)

I trained with the club in Brcko when I was over there a few years ago. Pretty bad equipment etc. if you ask me. I don't think Bosnia is the best example of a country where you can get payed WELL to play basketball.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #25
Sharas
Great college starter

i said top two teams, and in bosna and siroki salaries are more than decent. many guys receive 150-200k $ a year.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #26
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Actually Sharas gave a good example because Bosnia is by no means a basketball powerhouse yet players get paid big bucks there.
So, yeah, you easily can make a healthy 6 figures money in Europe if you're any good and able to compete in that particular league.

And I'm not talking about rich countries such as France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece etc.

I'm really just talking about mediocre leagues and countries that aren't really known for wealth.
I know lot of guys who play all over Europe and they make great money.

Seriously, if anyone here can play, I'd definitely suggest you test your skills in Europe. Life's good and so is the money.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Another point that I didn't bring up but should have is you can not be a NBA call-up if you play overseas. The only way you can join a NBA team mid-season is by playing in a domestic minor league.

The NBA has dealings with the ABA, etc that make going from the minors to the NBA possible.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

After the brawl in detroit, the local media interviewed manu and tony about the difference between euroleagues and the NBA. both of them said that what happened at the palace was nothing. in europe, fans throw coins, batteries, rocks, etc. heavy stuff that could really injure a person.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
After the brawl in detroit, the local media interviewed manu and tony about the difference between euroleagues and the NBA. both of them said that what happened at the palace was nothing. in europe, fans throw coins, batteries, rocks, etc. heavy stuff that could really injure a person.

That's true but it isn't that bad. It's not like many people die or get injured. Some do but it's not a big deal.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #30
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
That's true but it isn't that bad. It's not like many people die or get injured. Some do but it's not a big deal.

And you wonder why many Americans think European sports fans are batsh!t nuts.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: