Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Weird but might be accurate about Michael Jordan

I was talking with a friend of mine about NBA scouting and draft strategies. Of course I got onto the subject of how I hate the focus on "upside" and "potential". He agreed and then said "the craziest thing is do to current trends the Michael Jordan that left UNC in 1984 wouldn't be a top 10 pick nowadays."

At first I was about to say he was going too far then I thought about it. He's actually right.

When Mike left UNC he was 6'5" 185 lbs. He's be undersized today. While his overall athleticism was outstanding his numbers at UNC were not awe inspiring. He also lacked extended range on his jumper and didn't go left too well. On top of all that he was 21 and as we all no that number is a deathblow to a player's perceived upside.

It's pretty crazy but the player that many feel is the greatest ever would have been a bottom half of the lottery guy in the league as it is.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Weird but might be accurate about Michael Jordan

Michael grew to 6'5 1/2"(6'6 1/2" in shoes) and bulked up to 201 pounds pretty quickly. He wouldn't be undersized. You can't really go by college numbers either. Interesting topic though.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No way. Jorddan would not be rated under Corey Brewer.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I was talking with a friend of mine about NBA scouting and draft strategies. Of course I got onto the subject of how I hate the focus on "upside" and "potential". He agreed and then said "the craziest thing is do to current trends the Michael Jordan that left UNC in 1984 wouldn't be a top 10 pick nowadays."

At first I was about to say he was going too far then I thought about it. He's actually right.

When Mike left UNC he was 6'5" 185 lbs. He's be undersized today. While his overall athleticism was outstanding his numbers at UNC were not awe inspiring. He also lacked extended range on his jumper and didn't go left too well. On top of all that he was 21 and as we all no that number is a deathblow to a player's perceived upside.

It's pretty crazy but the player that many feel is the greatest ever would have been a bottom half of the lottery guy in the league as it is.

If D Wade goes at # 5 at the same age, being an inch shorter, playing in a weaker conference, with worse #s and not winning a title in the best draft in recent memory then I see no reason to believe Jordan is out of the top 5.

Last edited by 2LeTTeRS KD : 08-22-2007 at 05:19 PM.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

You're right that many perceive all upside to be gone by age 21. We've heard plenty talk about how Noah won't get any better because he's 22, and he doesn't have a sick jumper. Still, I think Michael Jordan would have went higher than Corey Brewer this year. He looked better in college than Corey did - there's no way he'd be drafted lower, with both being guards.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

that really is crazy, and fairly plausible. i can't see him going under a corey brewer either though. or a randy foye from the year before. but you could say easily that he'd have trouble making the top 5 these days even with two college player of the year awards and an ncaa title.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

I don't know if they had the scout camps back then - but MJ's athleticism was still off the charts. In the modern era where everyone is looking for another MJ, a scout could've talekd a team into selcting him over Hakeem,
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

with his athleticism, no way he'd stay in college beyond freshman year.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Like everyone has said, he'd be a Top 10, and this was one of the deepest drafts

If he came in the NBA last year, Top 5 pick? Definately, Top 3 maybe
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

Top 3 in any draft pretty much.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Like everyone has said, he'd be a Top 10, and this was one of the deepest drafts

If he came in the NBA last year, Top 5 pick? Definately, Top 3 maybe
Last year he'd have been #1. No way anyone can tell me Bargnani would be viewed as the better prospect...well, you can tell it to me, but you'd be nuts.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If Jordan actually entered the 2003 NBA Draft, I cannot see him topping Lebron James as the no.1 overall pick in that draft class. Lebron is probably one of the best HS player of all time and he is hype since he was barely 15 yrs.old.

Being a 21 yrs.old Rookie Michael Jordan will probably ended up as the 3rd or 4th overall pick of the draft class due to the fact that current GM's pick a much younger, taller and athletic player in the Draft Lottery.

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

but if it was today, MJ wouldn't wait till 21 to declare for draft.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk33
but if it was today, MJ wouldn't wait till 21 to declare for draft.

Ofcouse, Jordan will probably spend one year in College and teams would pick him as the no.1 pick over any other big men in the NBA Draft not name Greg Oden or Dwight Howard.

I also felt that during Jordan's entire NBA Career that he really needs a great rivalry to pump up his game.

His Airness once said in an interview before he retirement in 1993 that he felt that he have done all the great things in his NBA Career now this must be the time that he will fulfill the sports that his father love which is baseball.

It would certainly be a treat to see Prime Jordan competing againts Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Tracy Mcgrady and Vince Carter.

I do not think that Michael Jordan at 6'5 is a bit undersize in his position in todays NBA game. It would definitely be an easier era for Michael Jordan to score due to the latest development in the NBA in which their a few big men in the Caliber of a Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Dikembe Mutombo who would probably attempt to block his shoot with out getting called for a foul in the end.

Jordan also have a better Collegiate/Career numbers than Wade during his 3 yr. stint with the North Carolina Tarheels. So, their is a possibility that a team that needs a explosive shooting guard would pick him early in the NBA Draft.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-22-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #15
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

He would've

you got to figure todays diet and physical demands and workouts would have bought his body more in line with todays athletes

but I agree he wouldn't be as much of a big deal
MJ was the first of his kinda
and came to a league before athletic shot blockers
he pretty much went to the hole whenever he wanted till teams changed the Defensive strategies to keep players with his abilities outa the lane. Thats really what forced him to develop his jumper and outside game.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: