Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far
Default League fines Sonics owner for "moving" comment

Quote:
The NBA has fined Seattle SuperSonics co-owner Aubrey McClendon $250,000 for comments he made last week about his hopes for moving the franchise to Oklahoma City.

According to Seattle-area media reports, the NBA did not specifiy the reason for the fine. In the past, Commissioner David Stern has fined owners for statements and actions deemed not in the best interest of the league.

"But we didn't buy the team to keep it in Seattle; we hoped to come here," McClendon, the chief executive of Chesapeake Energy, told The Journal Record of Oklahoma City for a story published Aug. 12. "We know it's a little more difficult financially here in Oklahoma City, but we think it's great for the community and if we could break even, we'd be thrilled."

A spokesman for the NBA had no immediate comment Thursday and the team's ownership group declined comment.

The Seattle Times also reported that Seattle City Council member Richard McIver planned to introduce an ordinance when the council meets on Sept. 4 that would prevent the owners of the Sonics from buying out of their lease at KeyArena. That lease runs out in September 2010.

Majority owner Clay Bennett has set an Oct. 31 deadline for an agreement on a new arena in Seattle. Otherwise, he has promised to begin relocating the team. Kansas City, which is seeking an anchor tenant for its new arena, has also been rasied as an option.

"They've got 60 days to make some decisions they haven't been willing to make in the past year," McClendon was quoted as saying, "and if they make them in a way that satisfies Clay, then the team will stay there. If they don't meet the requirements he's laid out, the team will move, and Clay has indicated they'll come to Oklahoma City."

Shortly thereafter, Bennett issued a statement saying the comments were McClendon's "personal thoughts" and said McClendon was "not speaking on behalf of the ownership group."

The NBA responded to McClendon's remarks in a statement on Aug. 14, saying: "We have been assured by Mr. Bennett that Aubrey McClendon does not speak on behalf of the team."

Bennett's ownership group purchased the Sonics from a group led by Howard Schultz a year ago.

Link

Would the league rather him lie to the city of Seattle?

I cannot see any reason why these comments warrants a fine...
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: League fines Sonics owner for "moving" comment

Yes.Most owners dont lie but they give hints that they are
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

how can you just pick up and move a team with that much history? there should be some type of historical landmark status on teams, like they put on buildings to prevent builders from tearing them down.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

I don't see what grounds the NBA has for fining him. It's not like he's a player, coach or ref who is an employee of the NBA. This guy is a private business owner who purchased an NBA franchise.

But, their contracts are probably 100,000 pages long and filled with all kinds of loopholes, so
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default "moving" comment shows their REAL intention

The Seattle Times also reported that Seattle City Council member Richard McIver planned to introduce an ordinance when the council meets on Sept. 4 that would prevent the owners of the Sonics from buying out of their lease at KeyArena. That lease runs out in September 2010.

it warrants a fine because the city of seattle is still trying to do what it can to keep the team. we are assuming good faith from the owners in these negotiations.

if there is not good faith in trying to work out a new arena, then we are screwed

those comments were stupid for them to make bacause it explicitly shows what we sensed all along: the owners intent was to move the team all along

the above italicized quote is something that i have been hoping for: the city grows some balls and does NOT allow the lease to be bought out

it would give us a little more time to get creative in getting a new arena so mr bennett et al. are happy.

by then, durant and crew will be a formidable force in the west which will help our movement to mobilize a lackluster public too
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

It warrants a fine, because even though they are the new owners, their properties are registered trademarks of the NBA and they have contracts and guidelines in the NBA they have to follow.

You can't just go out and buy a team and move it because you want to. You have to have a legitimate business reason.

They should have been aware of this before they made the purchase. How lame would sports teams be, if any millionaire could buy a team and move it to their hometown?

The more I hear about these guys, the more I can't stand them. Talk about a betrayal to the Supersonics fans, the city of Seattle, and the NBA.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Seattle has history but its not like hes trying to move the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, or even the Knicks. Seattle has won a good bit but one title alone and some good contending teams doesnt make you too tied to history to move. not to me at least. The Sonics are basically the northwest version of the Bucks.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

No team introduced to the NBA before 1979 should be able to move,its just silly they cant get an arena built in Spokane or Olympia?
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Lakers have moved. In more recent years the Clippers and Kings have moved. The Nets are moving in 09 or 10. Many NFL teams have moved.

Just one of those things that happens now and then.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Seattle has history but its not like hes trying to move the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, or even the Knicks. Seattle has won a good bit but one title alone and some good contending teams doesnt make you too tied to history to move. not to me at least. The Sonics are basically the northwest version of the Bucks.

the bulls are just one year older than the sonics

i am unaware of any clause that says you must win two titles or more before a team is exempt from moving
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
the bulls are just one year older than the sonics

i am unaware of any clause that says you must win two titles or more before a team is exempt from moving

Well said.

Kblaze, you are a very good posters, and very respectful, and I usually agree with you, but you're dead wrong on this one.

It's not right for any team to move, for any reason, unless its proven that the team just can't support a team for whatever reason. And that's not the case in Seattle.

This is a bad situation, because everyone more or less assumed this group was going to try to move the team, and now there is verbal confirmation, whether you agree with the comments that the guy quoted isn't representing the owners actual plans or not.

This will no doubt create an uproar within the city of Seattle, and certainly doesn't help the NBA's image.

And suppose they do move the team? Seattle obviously has a fanbase there. There is obviously support for a team. So what then? ANOTHER expansion team in an already watered down league?

These guys seem like a total joke to me.

I'm no laywer, but I bet if someone got the lawyers involved, they'd find that the owners really don't own a whole lot, and really don't have a whole lot of power.

They get the revenue, they can hire and fire personnel. But in most cases, the stadium is at least partly owned by the City, the players are a member of the union, and the logo and team name are registered trademarks of the NBA.

Doesn't leave the owners with much if these groups chose not to support them, does it?

Of course I could be wrong...

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

The Bulls age isnt the reason they have a bigger place in history than the Sonics. The Bulls were the most popular team in the history of the NBA and have 6 titles with arguably the greatest player in sports history. Remove the Sonics and all its players, teams, and accomplishments from history and the difference isnt nearly what it would be for the Bulls if only for Jordans era. Added to that....Chicago, LA, and New york are the 3 major cities in america. Chicago is just more important to the league and has a better history. Because of it I put it next to the others in that short list of teams.

Seattle off the top of my head has been in 3 finals in 40 years winning one. No sonics player is an all time elite player at his position(by which I mean being arguably the best or nearly the best). They are a team with a good fanbase but there are plenty of reasons they arent on that elite level as far as having too much history to move.

Whatever reasons there are not to move the sonics none of them are related to what they have accomplished. They have no more history than the Warriors and Bucks.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 AM   #13
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Well said.

Kblaze, you are a very good posters, and very respectful, and I usually agree with you, but you're dead wrong on this one.

It's not right for any team to move, for any reason, unless its proven that the team just can't support a team for whatever reason. And that's not the case in Seattle.

See, this is just moral relativity. When the Grizzlies franchise was sold to Heisley, everyone and their mom knew he'd move it, despite promises he wouldn't. And yet the NBA was fine with it. Many other teams moved over the years and it was fine, yet at other times, witch hunts are organized against anyone who suggests a move.

Bottom line, it seems that there is a set of standards known only to David Stern and those close to him that decide which teams can and cannot be moved, which franchises need to be "financially viable" and which ones don't, and which cities can get multiple NBA teams in less than 2 decades.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:35 AM   #14
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Young HkM is considered somewhat coolYoung HkM is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
The Bulls age isnt the reason they have a bigger place in history than the Sonics. The Bulls were the most popular team in the history of the NBA and have 6 titles with arguably the greatest player in sports history. Remove the Sonics and all its players, teams, and accomplishments from history and the difference isnt nearly what it would be for the Bulls if only for Jordans era. Added to that....Chicago, LA, and New york are the 3 major cities in america. Chicago is just more important to the league and has a better history. Because of it I put it next to the others in that short list of teams.

Seattle off the top of my head has been in 3 finals in 40 years winning one. No sonics player is an all time elite player at his position(by which I mean being arguably the best or nearly the best). They are a team with a good fanbase but there are plenty of reasons they arent on that elite level as far as having too much history to move.

Whatever reasons there are not to move the sonics none of them are related to what they have accomplished. They have no more history than the Warriors and Bucks.

Gary Payton isn't?

All-Time NBA Records:
21st in points (21,813)
6th in assists (8,966)
3rd in steals (2,445)
8th in games (1335)
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #15
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
Gary Payton isn't?

All-Time NBA Records:
21st in points (21,813)
6th in assists (8,966)
3rd in steals (2,445)
8th in games (1335)

In the company of Magic, Stockton, Cousy, Isiah, Big O? I have never seen anyone seriously argue that GP is the best point guard ever. I have seen many an article arguing on behalf of one of the 5 just mentioned.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: