Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default International bball - more physical than the NBA?

If not yet, it's bound to happen anytime soon. FU Stern.

Last edited by OneWay : 08-23-2007 at 02:07 PM.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: International bball - more phsyical than the NBA?

its way more physical and a lot more fun to watch imo...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation
Default Re: International bball - more phsyical than the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
If not yet, it's bound to happen anytime soon. FU Stern.

it's been more physical for years. Its even more apparent this day and age with the superstar rules, banning of handchecking, the charge circle, and ticky tack fouls of the modern NBA. On usabasketball.com, they interviewed 8 current Team USA players and everybody talked about how FIBA allows so much more contact both in the post and out on the perimeter, as well as how much they had to adjust to it..
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: International bball - more physical than the NBA?

i don't watch a lot of fiba / international ball, but what i've seen in the last few years has been much more physical. on top of which the officiating is very uneven / inconsistant so i get the feeling that players get away with a lot of stuff that is actually outside the rules.

i don't know if i'd say it's better to watch, but i do enjoy the differences. i think it's more of a thinkers' league and less of an athlete's league, and i think both are fun to watch. i wouldn't want the nba to switch 100% to those rules, but i don't think there's any reason for fiba teams to adopt nba rules either.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Kobe would have been fouled out in the first quarter if it was NBA rules. That says alot.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Kobe would have been fouled out in the first quarter if it was NBA rules. That says alot.
Yeah, that's probably true...Kobe was working his ass off though.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i like a more physical game

i liked it when the nba allowed hand checking and there werent as many rules trying to control the inherent physical play of the guys

i do like the international rules better than the nba rule as it stands right now
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

It's not really "more physical". It's roughly the same but the real difference is the officiating. I personally think it's due to most foreign countries being being "soccer countries" first.

In soccer refs have the advantage rule. If a foul occurs in a soccer game but it doesn't really stop the attackers flow and calling the foul would actually kill the attacking flow the foul isn't called immediately. Refs call "advantage" and play continues unless the defense fouls again or the defense makes a stop due to the advantage call. If the attack is able to get a shot or turns the ball over no foul is called.

FIBA refs seem to take the same approach. If an offensive player gets fouled but it doesn't stop him from attacking then they swallow the whistle. They only rush to call fouls that really stop an offensive player's progress.

That's why "and one fouls" in international play happen so rarely compared to the NBA.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

That is not entirely true.
"And One" plays happen not as often due to a different interpretation of what is called "continuation". Basically, if a player has picked up his dribble and is attempting a shot or a layup, any foul will be a shooting foul in the NBA. That results in "shooting fouls" were the foul might occur at the 3pt line and the shot taken is a layup.
In international ball, the interpretation is different. More often than not, a shooting foul is only called once the players has left his feet to take a shot/layup.

Generally, perimeter defense is more physical in international ball, post defense is more physical in NBA play. Especially contact with the body on otherwise clean blocks is called way less in NBA play. The cleanest of all blocks might be called a foul, if only the slightest body contact happens afterwards. Thats due to bad refs mostly, that dont understand the concept of a players space, his "cylinder" that he is entitled to.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Remember, more contact means more fouls and less field goals. I thought fans wanted to see high scoring games.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

RIMMER has decent reputation

There's a reason why our NBA superstars drive the lane in international ball and stare at the refs, flabbergasted, with every no call. Sorry son, nobody's bailing you out here.
RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

since 2003, tennis has been more physical than the NBA.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Remember, more contact means more fouls and less field goals. I thought fans wanted to see high scoring games.

They want to see high scoring games,that`s true. But Basketball is always high scoring, 10 points more per game doesn´t replace the loss of physical play.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
They want to see high scoring games,that`s true. But Basketball is always high scoring, 10 points more per game doesn´t replace the loss of physical play.

With less physical play, you're more likely to see fast breaks and highlight plays a la the Suns.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I pretty much agree totally with Juvenille's post.

I do think that post defense remains more physical in the american game. I think it's mostly due to the nature of the game because of the court configurations. The shorter three point line makes high post play out of bigs that much more threatening, and the trapazoid lane makes cutting bigs and cutting off of bigs more efficient then the traditional american post game, where closer position can be established to get off more jumphooks and the like. The zone hurts that positioning too.

I don't get the notion that zones and hand checking slow the game down and cut back on excitement. Most of the "fun" stuff in basketball takes place after turnovers, and by outlawing perimeter contact, and emptying the lane in half court defenses, on ball turnovers are reduced. Personally, my favorite action on court is multiple passes. Like the Carmelo to Lebron to Kobe play last night. I don't particularly care weather the finish is a dunk or a layup, I've always been more interested in the set up. The slop that led to that broken play was a great look from Lebron that Dwight Howard didn't catch. That's the type of stuff I like.

Personally, I'd like the international rules on the NBA court, minus the live ball on the rim rule. And an extra ref would help.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: